Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times

Advertisements

I've heard of PetMed on tv but our vet won't give us the required prescription. They want us to buy everything from them. I'd live to save money on the meds like heartworm pills--does anyone know about pharmacies, maybe in Canada that will work with us? Anything online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Any medication, such as the heartworm pills bought off line still have to have a prescription from your vet. I use 1-800-petmeds....they contact my vet and then issue me the meds. Try going through them and let them contact the vet...If he will not issue them the prescription...I would change vets. JMO.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
dr foster and smith have dogs med cheaper than the vets for the most part. I also would switch vets
if they will not allow you to shop where you want. At least you are going to give the meds to your
pets. It is like you go to the doctor and get your script where you want. The vet gets paid to do the
heart worm test etc., so really should let you get what is needed.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've heard of PetMed on tv but our vet won't give us the required prescription. They want us to buy everything from them. I'd live to save money on the meds like heartworm pills--does anyone know about pharmacies, maybe in Canada that will work with us? Anything online?
Do you know that you'll definitely be saving money? I price compared and found I was actually paying a few dollars less through my vet than I would have via the online PetMed company.

That said, I agree with finding a new vet if you are not totally in love with the care your animals get from this one. Sounds a bit fishy not to be willing to write a prescription.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Thank you for the information. This veterinary practice seems to be good -- they are less expensive that the one we used for our past dog and they do good work. They said that they have their own system of meds that compare well with petmeds on price. No, I haven't really checked but my husband wanted to see what could be done online. Maybe I wasn't ready to ask this question until I knew how much our vet charges.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you for the information. This veterinary practice seems to be good -- they are less expensive that the one we used for our past dog and they do good work. They said that they have their own system of meds that compare well with petmeds on price. No, I haven't really checked but my husband wanted to see what could be done online. Maybe I wasn't ready to ask this question until I knew how much our vet charges.
You have to know how to ask. Looking at your profile i assume your in Mass. Your vet must give you the rx if your filling it in a license Mass pharmacy or an approved internet licensed pharmacy. What you need to do is go to the state agency that approves pharmacies and look for the list of VIPPS internet pharmacies. You will tell your vet which internet pet pharmacy you are using and they will fax the rx to them and you order online. Some vets will give you a paper rx but won't verify the rx if the internet pharmacy isn't approved.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
I have used PetsuppliesNet.Com for years. They are in Australia, do not require a script, and I have saved 30-50% on everything I have ever bought from them. My old vet used to price match, my new vet does not.

This place does not sell toys, treats, or anything other than heartworm & flea meds. It does take 2 weeks to get your order and sometimes customs opens the box, but they will always stick a "inspected by US customs" sticker on it after they re-seal it.

I have always been happy with this place and would recommend them to anyone.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
I'm not sure what kind of heartworm med you wanted, but in Australia you can order Revolution without a prescription. That's a topical flea liquid that is applied to the dog's neck, and it does have some heartworm preventative in it.

In the U.S., Drs. Foster and Smith will call your vet for approval for prescriptions, which makes it easy for your vet. Find out what your vet charges, and then compare with online pharmacies. I've never found a vet that was cheaper than an online company, but you did say your vet was generally less expensive than others so it's possible. If your vet is not willing to work with you, you'll either have to purchase from them directly or switch vets.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 AM

447 posts, read 1,620,318 times
I also use petsuppliesnet.com. I've been satisified with the Frontline and Heartgard for dogs and cats that I've ordered from them. Much cheaper than my vet.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Any medication, such as the heartworm pills bought off line still have to have a prescription from your vet. I use 1-800-petmeds....they contact my vet and then issue me the meds. Try going through them and let them contact the vet...If he will not issue them the prescription...I would change vets. JMO.
I second that about changing vets.
One medication that one of my dogs take cost $25 a month from the vet's, my vet gives me a prescription that I have filled online for $10 a month saving me $15 a month.
I usually just go pick up prescription from vets and mail it in.

With some vets it is all about the money, they charge enough for all the tests/shots/exams but yet still want to squeeze every last cent out of you.

I get my dog's meds from Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Horse Supplies, Horse Tack, Farm Supplies - Valley Vet Supply
They have been very nice several times when I had to call them about prescriptions/orders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs