Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times

Advertisements

My next door neighbor has a great dane who craps large piles all over the place.

We have no fence between our homes and this nut would allow her dog to crap in my yard all the time. It was so bad that my lawn was dying because of her dogs crap.

I kept telling her to stop walking her dog in my yard to take a crap but she would not stop.

I got tired of telling her to stop and finely had enough one day so I shoveled up about 15 piles of crap from my yard and placed in at her front door step that night.

She was heading to work the next morning when I heard all kinds of cursing from her. I looked out my window and saw that she stepped in the pile of crap I left her with both feet.

I opened my door and laughed my ars off at her. She didn't think it was funny and said so. I told her if I found any more of her dogs crap in my yard that I was going to put it on the front seat of her car.

That was the last time I had to pick up her dogs crap from my yard. Some people are just idiots.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Not that I condone it, but my husband has a phobia about poop. Doesn't matter what nature of creature it came from. I don't let him walk the dog without me.

He freaks out when I horse show because I make him come along to take pics. Horses, as you may or may not know, are capable of pooping while they are in motion. This is a matter of great distress to DH.

We have one vintage model cat that often does not remember to bury things in the litter box. I have had DH get me out of bed to scoop some litter over it on waaaay too many occasions.

I am sure that the overwhelming majority of folks that do not pick up after their dog fall into the "don't give a f _ _ k" category. There is at least one who is flat out terrified of poop.
Everything about this post made me laugh out loud. My husband doesn't have a fear of poop, per se, but he is quite disgusted with my "interest" in Artie's poop -- its consistency, its frequency (or lack thereof), its content, etc...

There have even been a couple of time that, when picking up Artie's poop, the poop "flipped" partially out of the bag and I got a smear on me. I got home and said, jokingly, "There's not enough soap in the world..." He just kept muttering, "I can't believe you think that's funny."

Old 07-09-2010, 02:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
And sometimes I do and follow them home to put on their lawn.
Love that!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
I have to say that over the past few years people in this area have been pretty good about picking up after dogs, there are still a few and the majority of ones I have noticed or seen evidence are small dog owners...as if small poops don't matter?

Things here really improved when a group known as DOG PAC formed to try to get off leash areas including a beach. They really worked hard to educate people about cleaning up as the # 1 reason people were against it was the dog poop issue... as if dogs do not poop while on leash too In the beginning the group got volunteers to go to local parks and beaches especially ones where there was alot of of leash walking going on and have a poop clean up day. There would be say 20 of us out there cleaning the place up and it also was a great way to educate other dog owners about cleaning up as many felt the poop would just break down and be like a fertilizer.Which is not so with the diets of the majority of dogs as thanks to all the perservatives it lasts a long long time. Dog walkers were curious when they saw all of us out there cleaning up and most listened to what we had to say and I can recall only a few that got nasty.

Anyway with that going on , lots of editorials about the matter in the local paper and owners becoming more involved and speaking up when they did see someone's dog take a crap and them just walk away things have really improved. Most people that use the hard won leash free parks and beach remain very good about making others aware that they need to clean up after their dogs as the future of off leash play hangs on it and many people here enjoy our off leash areas. But even so there are those that will not clean up .

You must realize that often it is not just a poop clean up issue but rather a lack of responsibility as these same people leave sharp beer bottle caps, beer and soda bottles and cans and paper wrappings all over the parks. The other day I picked up 3 bottles and 4 cans that were left within 10 feet of a recycle bin at the local park as I walked my dogs.

A few years ago I use to pick the cans and bottles up and had a bag with me for it so would carry it home and put it in my own recycle bin.With just the stuff that I picked up walking my dogs that year I made $27.00 when I took it to the recycle center. I kept it apart from my own stuff as I was curious as to how much stuff I picked up off the ground in a year of dog walks. I have even found used diapers laying in parking lots or the grass of the park and yes there were trash bins nearby! I find I get a little angry when peole seem to make the dog poop issue just that a poop issue instead of a responsibility issue and as I said these same people leave more then dog poop behind.

I think with major education that most people will start cleaning up but you will always have those that lack responsibility and do so even with a trash bin 10 feet away as well as someone handing them a bag to clean up with.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
I would imagine that it's predominantly people who who are either just plain lazy/inconsiderate, or the distracted type who repeatedly leave the house without any bags with which to pick up poop, without it being an intentional thing. My SO is the type who is constantly losing his keys, walking out of the house without his phone, and, back in the day, would often leave with the dog, not having even though that he'd need a bag or two with him. I remedied that by buying the little bags on board clips that hook to the leash, so there's ALWAYS a spool of bags physically attached to the leash, and he can't leave home without one.

In general, people in our very doggy neighborhood are really good about cleaning up after their pets, and the same at the local dog park.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My SO is the type who is constantly losing his keys, walking out of the house without his phone, and, back in the day, would often leave with the dog, not having even though that he'd need a bag or two with him. I remedied that by buying the little bags on board clips that hook to the leash, so there's ALWAYS a spool of bags physically attached to the leash, and he can't leave home without one.
Sounds like my hubby! Never loses the keys but does his phone in the car.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
People that are absent minded can as you say get the rolls that clip on to a leash OR tie a few empty grocery bags to the leash handle after you get back from a walk so they always there when you head out the next time. Also keep a roll of the bags in your car so if you happen to take the dog some place and get there and think Oh man I forgot to bring any pick up bags you have a supply in the car already!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
People that are absent minded can as you say get the rolls that clip on to a leash OR tie a few empty grocery bags to the leash handle after you get back from a walk so they always there when you head out the next time. Also keep a roll of the bags in your car so if you happen to take the dog some place and get there and think Oh man I forgot to bring any pick up bags you have a supply in the car already!

which is EXACTLY what i do .... i have a stash of probably 40-50 bags in my car's glove box.... have come in handy while doing transports too ..... particularly the larger ones with LOTS of dogs.....

i ALWAYS have bags in my pockets ...... i just reached in my pocket and have 3 in there right now..... and my dogs are home, probably napping the afternoon away until i get home from work......

Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
which is EXACTLY what i do .... i have a stash of probably 40-50 bags in my car's glove box.... have come in handy while doing transports too ..... particularly the larger ones with LOTS of dogs.....

i ALWAYS have bags in my pockets ...... i just reached in my pocket and have 3 in there right now..... and my dogs are home, probably napping the afternoon away until i get home from work......
LOL I also have a stash of doggie bags, a pair of latex gloves and the odd dog treat rolling around in my glovebox. If I ever got pulled over, I really wonder what the cop would think as I tried to find my registration & proof of insurance in there

Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM

795 posts, read 4,539,501 times
socal -- i have a dog... who i pick up after and always have... so i present to you my own questions about dog owners:

1. i have a neighbor who just moved into the neighborhood who has a very large american bulldog puppy who not only never picks up after this puppy... but also allows his 7/8-year old, who actually weighs about the same or possibly less than the dog, to walk the dog. i have seen this dog drag the kid across the sidewalk to "say hello to" a chihuahua who was just trying to pass by. why does my neighbor do these things?

2. i have another neighbor who not only never picks up after her wheaten terrier but also takes great delight in mocking barnaby's (my 13-year old shih tzu) stroller everytime she sees us, although she's only seen the stroller a couple of times. i explained the first time we ever met her that we use the stroller b/c barnaby has a number of age-related health problems, and it's a tool in making sure he is able to continue to get exercise as he ages (i.e., he is able to walk as far as his legs will take him, then the stroller brings him home). still, the mocking, and it's not gentle teasing, believe me (unless gentle teasing usually leaves you wanting to punch someone in the face from afar...) why does she do these things?

stupidity is the only answer i have for you about any of this.

also, i might agree with your thoughts on: laziness, inefficiency, incompetence, and entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs