Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times

Advertisements

We're getting an 8 week old English Springer Spaniel tomorrow, and I am wondering what to put in the little Kong I bought her. I don't want to buy the expensive treats made by Kong, I'm looking for cheaper alternatives. I have heard of peanut butter and cream cheese, but I'm not so sure about that. I think the cream cheese would go bad and smell real quick, and isn't she too young for peanut butter? Or maybe I'm thinking of babies and peanut butter, and my own allergy to peanut butter. What are some good Kong treats for a young puppy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:31 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Lowfat peanutbutter, lowfat yogurt, cheesewhiz, you can freeze and mix w/ a little kibble etc - that way it'll keep her busy - but would spread them thin b/c like you said, she's just a young puppy and prob. has an immature digestive system. If you feel uncomf. w/ the pb b/c of your own allergies, then you can skip it and try the others but would go slow at first. Might just wait a little til she's more settled (people swear by the kongs and Im sure they're great but would be careful w/ a young pup).

Here's a link that s/b pretty helpful

http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/200...a_kong_toy.php

Best of luck w/ your new pup!

PS You're prob. right about the cr. cheese (or yogurt for that matter) going bad w/ this heat so would use them sparingly or maybe wait a little while til it's cooler - also the pb can get a bit messy (would just spread it thin and freeze the kong, it'll keep the pup busy (working at trying to get it out)

Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
My 3 1/2 month old pup adores his Kong with peanut butter. As with any treat that is not their normal food, you have to start slowly, or it will do nasty things to their disgestive system.

I have found peanut butter to be the best for my little guy because it's not too easy to get out, and surprisingly is not messy at all (he doesn't let a drop get by). If you are allergic though, you could try some wet food and freeze it, maybe with a couple of his kibbles mixed in.

If your dog is anything like mine, you wouldn't have to worry about cream cheese or yogurt spoiling. I have not tried these, but it seems to me that it might be messier than the wet food or peanut butter, though it can be frozen as well.

I would suggest that you make sure you put whatever treat all the way into the Kong, so the pup has to spend time getting it out, and uses the Kong to bite on.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:55 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,338,739 times
I agree with lowfat frozen yogurt. I fill the Kong with vanilla flavored yogurt and put a few little pieces of treats inside and freeze it. I give it to her in her crate. She loves it. She runs to her crate in anticipation of getting the Kong when I open the freezer door. She also loves Cheese Whiz and I put a few treats in with that also. But I don't fill it up, just a little bit of Cheese Whiz, so it doesn't entertain her for as long.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:02 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I get the spray cheese they sell at the grocery store and I also use peanut butter . I know they have such fun with the kongs when they are filled .

Old 07-10-2010, 03:04 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
These are all great suggestions, thanks so much!!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Another reason to be wary of cream cheese: Many (most?) dogs are lactose intolerant. Artie loves cheese, but cheese doesn't love him. In fact, he got very loose stool -- tinted with blood -- that the vet said was most likely from the fact that I gave him cheese. Now he gets a TINY bit of cheese on a VERY infrequent basis -- as a "good boy" treat.

Have the BEST time with your pup! I'm so excited for you!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:31 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,495,767 times
I put treats in our dogs' Kong toys once. They don't show any less interest in an empty Kong toy. Kong is their absolute favorite toy. They play with them daily.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,537 times
The kong shouldn't get messy if you freeze it. I stuff it with peanut butter and a broken up puppy milk bone and then freeze it for about 3-4 hours. It lasts so much longer than if you didn't freeze it and its a great treat on a hot day...you just have to remember to stuff and freeze it beforehand...I normally do it in the morning and then he gets it during our lunch hour or after work. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
How was the first day with the baby???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs