Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Anybody ever hear of these vile creatures??

As regular readers know, the park where I walk Bailey and Dave is a flood plain for the Meramec River..... much of the park has been flooded for a few months now..... i don't think we have been able to do the entire loop since april or may.....With it being the height of summer, mosquitoes are an issue everywhere...... HOWEVER, we were out there a week ago Saturday and walked a different trail and i could NOT believe the swarms of mosquitoes.... poor Davey was just blanketed, literally!!

We went out for our usual walks on our usual trails in the mornings last week and it was just CRAZY..... if dave stopped for a nano-second, he was absolutely swarmed..... bailey, not so much..... don't know if it is because her fur is thicker or her coloration..... i have been a mosquito magnet my entire life, so i am always thoroughly coated in deep woods off, but i still have bites all over my forehead and in my eyebrows and IN MY SCALP...... i quickly brush bailey and dave off as they are getting into the car and i still have boatloads of the little suckers in the car as we are heading out.....

the dogs go for their walk EVERY single day..... we were out tromping through snow and ice with me in a leg brace from my hip to my ankle last winter.... but this is making me not want to go out there..... i grew up in Houston and our family spent many a weekend tent camping in south and east texas and i have NEVER seen mosquitoes swarm like this...... i speak fluent sailor and still can't come up with epithets strong enough for these creatures.....

think i'm gonna have to just suck it up and continue to take them out there.... my neighborhood has no sidewalks and i hate walking them in here.... the only other park close enough to consider is also under water at the moment and i suspect would have the same problem anyway.....

they are still tired from 2 long days at the good dog park this weekend, so i am off the hook for today......

no real question here..... just a rant..... thanks for listening......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Oh heck yeah! I had never heard of them either until I has the misfourtune of experiencing them 1st hand when I lived in Florida. It always seemed to happen when there had been a drought followed by a heavy rain. I was literally chased back into the house because of it. No one can imagine it if you haven't actually seen it. Saying that you are covered with mosquitos just doesn't do it justice! Its an actual swarm of them where they are in your nose, ears, mouth and every inch of skin they can get too!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Ick!

Have you considered using one of these on yourself
http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/52165/reviews.htm

and a headnet
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...005000_325-5-8

and spraying a bandana for the dogs with the Adams spray?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Oh heck yeah! I had never heard of them either until I has the misfourtune of experiencing them 1st hand when I lived in Florida. It always seemed to happen when there had been a drought followed by a heavy rain. I was literally chased back into the house because of it. No one can imagine it if you haven't actually seen it. Saying that you are covered with mosquitos just doesn't do it justice! Its an actual swarm of them where they are in your nose, ears, mouth and every inch of skin they can get too!
Did you notice that the mosquito species seemed to change for a while after hurricane Ike? Instead of the little, annoying mosquitoes that Houston is usually subject to, we had the giant gulf coast mosquitoes that can bite through blue-jeans and smother cattle.

Anyway, I brought that up because I feel as though I'm seeing the same thing after that long stretch of rain we just had.

I recently started my dog on Advantix, primarily for tick control, but have noticed that he isn't getting welts on his bare belly from mosquitoes anymore. I'm thinking about putting a little on the back of my neck as well.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Did you notice that the mosquito species seemed to change for a while after hurricane Ike? Instead of the little, annoying mosquitoes that Houston is usually subject to, we had the giant gulf coast mosquitoes that can bite through blue-jeans and smother cattle.

Anyway, I brought that up because I feel as though I'm seeing the same thing after that long stretch of rain we just had.

I recently started my dog on Advantix, primarily for tick control, but have noticed that he isn't getting welts on his bare belly from mosquitoes anymore. I'm thinking about putting a little on the back of my neck as well.
Yeah - I notice how bad they are right now everytime I step out of the house. Small & large ones. Walking the dogs has become an adventure in swatting. You are right about after Ike. I've see hummingbirds that were smaller than some of the mosquitos that came in with that storm! We use Advantix too. It does seem to repel mosquitos very well. I wonder if I should dab a bit behind my ears.......

Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
I hate skeeters. I was out in my yard yesterday for about an hour, but made my dog stay inside. Even though they don't seem to bother him, I'd rather him not get bit up. I used buy spray on myself yesterday, but I have tried the Bounce and it did seem to work for a short amount of time. I read that Avons Skin So Soft is a deterrent too that you can use on dogs, but I would make sure first.
I assume you do, but make sure they're on heartworm preventative. My boy was treated for heartworms before I adopted him.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
E, if you get and use the headnet that lifelongMOgirl linked to, please call me. I'll come over and take pictures of you wearing it -- and post/tag them on Facebook, and of course post them on here too.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Ick!

Have you considered using one of these on yourself
Bass Pro Shops - ThermaCell® Mosquito Repellent customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

and a headnet
Coghlan's Mosquito Head Net

and spraying a bandana for the dogs with the Adams spray?

what is adams spray and where can i get it??

i like the mosquito net.... may just go ahead and invest in that.... there is a bass pro here in st. louis that i could take a ride to ....... i don't know if that other gadget would work so well during a walk where we are moving at a pretty fast clip......

i did some reading about these vile little flying vampires and apparently, their eggs can remain dormant for up to 6 years or so until flood or other standing water activates them .... and they can travel up to 20 miles in search of animals or people to torture..... i just haven't been able to find out anything about how long they remain active.... its only July and we have a good 3 more months of hot to warm weather..... and the river is receding at a glacial pace.....

the park flooded a few times last year too.... but we didn't have to deal with these aggressive little blood-suckers..... just the "normal" mosquitoes.....

Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I hate skeeters. I was out in my yard yesterday for about an hour, but made my dog stay inside. Even though they don't seem to bother him, I'd rather him not get bit up. I used buy spray on myself yesterday, but I have tried the Bounce and it did seem to work for a short amount of time. I read that Avons Skin So Soft is a deterrent too that you can use on dogs, but I would make sure first.
I assume you do, but make sure they're on heartworm preventative. My boy was treated for heartworms before I adopted him.
years ago i played sand volley ball in an evening league and the mosquitoes ate me ALIVE right through the skin-so-soft ..... it might work for some, but it didn't do a THING for me...... and neither has the bounce dryer sheet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
E, if you get and use the headnet that lifelongMOgirl linked to, please call me. I'll come over and take pictures of you wearing it -- and post/tag them on Facebook, and of course post them on here too.
that's just fine.... i have NO ego at all .... in fact, the netting would probably hide a good portion of my face....

Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
I've seen mesh mosquito jacket just like the headnets but mostly in the "southern states". You might get lucky and find one.

The Adams flea/tick sprays can be found at vet suppy stores, PetSmart, and some "feed & seed".

I found that it kept the flys & moquitoes from swarming on my dogs. As thick as you are talking I'd consider spraying them with it but at leat a bandana around the neck and wipe (not spray) it on the face.

Adams Flea and Tick Products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs