Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times

Advertisements

Oh the shame of it...today I had Jazz in a small pet store and while I was paying for some food she shoplifted a rawhide ring covered in some sort of crunchy snack. I saw her do it and told the guy add that to my bill. So we did pay for it. In her younger years a " leave it" would have prevented that but she is pretty deaf now so either did not hear me or knew she could get away with pretending she did not hear me. My good old granny dog gone bad soon you will see her face on the most wanted poster at the post office.Maybe we can claim alzheimers as a defense?

That makes me wonder why so many pet stores put those loose rawhides and bully sticks or even loose dog biscuits in boxes near the counter and low enough for the dogs to get their heads in the boxes and shoplift while you are busy checking out. Is it the same as grocery stores and other stores putting the candy right there??? after all kids will be kids even the furry kinds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,613,333 times
Probably because they know most people will go ahead and purchase what their cute baby has slobbered up.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
LOL, great story! And yes, I'm certain they put the tempting toys in reach of the dogs for just that reason. Our dog's lives are too short, no sense in not spoiling her with this indulgence.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,921,255 times
Oh Dashdog, what kind of example are you showing Jazz by letting her get off so easy? I mean really... It's like telling an old 80 year old at the grocery store, its alright for her to open the box of Ensure and take a can or two. Really, I am shocked!

LOL, kidding. It's a great story. Gotta love our senior dogs.

PS...If my Sheba were there she would have suggested that Jazz take a more expensive and delicious item than a crunchy coated rawhide.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Oh the shame of it...today I had Jazz in a small pet store and while I was paying for some food she shoplifted a rawhide ring covered in some sort of crunchy snack. I saw her do it and told the guy add that to my bill. So we did pay for it. In her younger years a " leave it" would have prevented that but she is pretty deaf now so either did not hear me or knew she could get away with pretending she did not hear me. My good old granny dog gone bad soon you will see her face on the most wanted poster at the post office.Maybe we can claim alzheimers as a defense?

That makes me wonder why so many pet stores put those loose rawhides and bully sticks or even loose dog biscuits in boxes near the counter and low enough for the dogs to get their heads in the boxes and shoplift while you are busy checking out. Is it the same as grocery stores and other stores putting the candy right there??? after all kids will be kids even the furry kinds!
I can just picture her mugshot with a tiara! Old people sometimes think they're entitled to do whatever they want...maybe Jazz has the same attitude

If it's any consolation, mine would shoplift like crazy if we let them!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:31 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Sneaky! I've had closing shoplifting encounters with my dog and also almost peeing in the store but catching him on time.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,464 times
LOL I can picture that. Just like the video of the dog thief going into the supermarket for a bone and running out. Too cute...in my eyes dogs can get away with it without getting in trouble. Hope Jazz enjoyed her treat!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
The fact that she "does not hear" you is an excellent excuse to get goodies at the pet shop.

If I were you I would absolutely buy her as many treats as I could, as long as they spoil dinner just a little bit, huh!!??

Senior dogs are the cutest thing. I would not trade my old lady for anything in this world. She is 11 now and I love all her grumpiness and tenderness. When I had other old ladies too, they were the loves of my life, so incredibly sweet.

On the same note of "not hearing", one of mine was sound asleep at night and she would completely forgot where we were and come growling bc she thought there were strangers in other rooms in the house. Oh, the cuteness!!

Sometimes we are at home and I will leave something she likes around but she still thinks I did not see it and takes it (tiptoeing) to her special places.

For some reason, all dogs I know, when at home, will only eat their goodies at those places (a mat, a dog bed, a pillow, under some furniture, etc). Go figure, it is one of their sweet things.

Beautiful post.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,036,660 times
what a great story dashdog.... that queen jazz is a wiley one.....

when we go to petsmart, bailey and dave will walk right into the checkstand kiosk to await their treats from the cashier..... we are regulars, so most of them recognize or know us.... but still, it gets purdy crowded in there until they back out and sit down to await their treat......

Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
LOL - great story. You have to love the oldsters and their "selective hearing" I used to have to go out into the yard and clip a leash on Bandit at times to get him to come into the house as no amount of calling his name was going to interrupt his backyard stroll. He would be in total "ignore mode" I knew he didn't have any problem with his hearing. He was the same dog that would come running from the other side of the house if I so much as brushed against the treat bag in the pantry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs