Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times

Advertisements

Cmarh, I would follow your vet's advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM

119 posts, read 467,948 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1280159869

Here is a picture of Siera along with my Lab/Shepherd mix, Buddy.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Heartguard isn't that expensive, and you can give it to her without pre-testing, unlike the others. Others here on the forum know better than I about this, but I believe I read here some time ago that Heartguard is used in treating heartworms, as well as preventing them.

Still, I caution you that vet care and vaccinations are a necessary part of pet ownership. If you cannot afford to take care of her fully, please adopt her to someone that can. Her proper care is important.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:49 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
I wouldn't feel comfortable not knowing and foregoing the test. I don't think the test itself is all that expensive to administer, and it would give you peace of mind.

My sister rescues dogs from high-kill shelters and often times they are HW+. Through a lot of searching, she's found a vet who will do the treatment at cost for these rescue dogs (~$150) as opposed to the $800+ cost that vets routinely charge.

It doesn't sound like your dog is likely to test positive, so I wouldn't stress too much about it. Personally, I would get the test though just to be on the safe side.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 AM

I do know that it is very important to make sure my dogs have good vet care and are healthy and I have no problem affording normal vet care but the cost of heartworm treatment would be a big chunk at once but the vet said he didnt think it would be an issue at all and I know they would work with me on a payment plan if necessary. He doesnt even do the test but the other vet in town just charges $25.00 for the test. I think when I get her spayed on Thursday I will question him further on this and then decide if getting the test in necessary.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:12 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
Get the test to be on the safe side. Peace of mind if nothing else.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:33 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,427,751 times
Just make sure you don't give her Heartgard - for some reason (see below), there's a problem w/ H/g and Shelties (and I think Springer Spaniels) - I think Interceptor is OK but double check (I dont have shelties or springer spaniels)

heartgard BAD!!! - Sheltie Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
Well I called the vet today and he said that since heartworms were not a big problem in our area that he would suggest not testing her and just starting her on heartworm medicine. I am not sure what to do now. Should I have her tested even tho the vet said it wasnt necessary? She is going to get all her shots and spayed on Thursday but I am still a little worried about not having her tested. Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Just make sure you don't give her Heartgard - for some reason (see below), there's a problem w/ H/g and Shelties (and I think Springer Spaniels) - I think Interceptor is OK but double check (I dont have shelties or springer spaniels)

heartgard BAD!!! - Sheltie Forums

I took her to the vet today to get spayed and will ask him if he knows about heartworm and shelties. My lab mix is on Ivermax. My vet is very good but he is a rural vet(doesnt make him bad) but he might know a little more about cows than dogs so I will mention the heartworm medicine issue. I am already missing my sweet little girl. She is going to be groggy and sore tonight.

Thanks everyone for their support and advice.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,311 times
I use IVOMEC also which is main ingredient in heart guard. I would research the sheltie heart guard as I think heard that before also. Online vet sources are good for helping with questions like that. Those old farm vets in my opinion better than city vets as see more than just animals that live in a city and never roam the country where skeeters,ticks and such are more a problem. They all learn the small animals even if a large animal vet.

Country Vets have better personalities also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs