Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 AM

119 posts, read 467,948 times

Advertisements

I just rescued an adorable little sheltie that was abandoned and living in our barn. She was covered in flea's and ticks and didnt have a collar on. I have bathed her, brushed her coat and of course gave her frontline. I am taking her to the vet next week to get heartworm tested, shots and spayed. I am so worried that she has heartworms. I understand the treatment is very expensive. I didnt know if anyone would know of some help you could get with vet expenses for a stray/abandoned dog or not? I dont mind paying for the test, shots and the spay but dont think I could afford the heartworm treatment if needed. She is such a sweet, adorable dog I really hope she comes out with a clean bill of health. Any advice would be aprreciated.

Christy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
United Animal Nations in Sacramento, CA, has "Lifeline Grants," for just such occasions. Of course, they can only give to a few people, but people in a situation as you might be in are the kinds of situations the grants are for.
Also, ask your vet. Sometimes they can give you deals, or payment plans, or might know of a cheaper way to go. In my experience, the vets really want to help a rescued animal get healthy and have a good home and appreciate your loving rescue (as we all do!)
And maybe she'll be healthy. Please consider keeping us posted, and best wishes with your new best friend.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
I just rescued an adorable little sheltie that was abandoned and living in our barn. She was covered in flea's and ticks and didnt have a collar on. I have bathed her, brushed her coat and of course gave her frontline. I am taking her to the vet next week to get heartworm tested, shots and spayed. I am so worried that she has heartworms. I understand the treatment is very expensive. I didnt know if anyone would know of some help you could get with vet expenses for a stray/abandoned dog or not? I dont mind paying for the test, shots and the spay but dont think I could afford the heartworm treatment if needed. She is such a sweet, adorable dog I really hope she comes out with a clean bill of health. Any advice would be aprreciated.

Christy
Hi Christy and thank you for taking in your sweet girl When dealing with heartworm, there are differing levels of positive. If she is a "weak positive for heartworm" the only treatment needed will be immediately putting her on a heartworm preventitive. If she does have full blown heartworm, it can be expensive. However the treatment is also spread out over a month to 6 weeks. The hardest thing is that during treatment, the dog must be kept confined and quiet and be watched for adverse reactions to the medication and for reactions from the die off of the worms. Talk with your vet. If you have a good relationship with them, they may have a payment program that can spread the cost over a period of time. Good luck and let us know how she is doing!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Five years ago, I adopted a wonderful terrier mix from a shelter in TN. On the way out of town, I stopped by the local vet and had her shots updated plus getting her tested for heartworm. I was both shocked and sad to find out that she tested positive for heartworm. Up in MA, the treatment for heartworm is known for being very expensive. I had heard stories of the treatment running $1500. Fortunately, I asked the TN vet what they do in the South for heartworm. He said that they skipped the x-ray and ultrasound scans before and afterwards. So instead of all those expensive tests, he would be able to treat a dog that size for only $350. When I got back to MA, I had my vet treat her the "Southern way". And she was fine afterwards. Her case was probably very mild and she never ever had a cough.

Personally, I agree with the Southern method of treatment. If the dog has good energy after the treatment and recovery period (the dog has to be kept inactive and quiet for about a week in order for the dead worms to be flushed out of the dog's circulatory system), then that's fine with me. Otherwise, if the dog had low energy and was coughing afterwards, then I would just pamper her and keep her comfortable. I wouldn't make her do any strenuous activities. And as long as she wasn't wasn't in any discomfort, then I would let her be.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
One of the girls that does rescue in Miami that I know said they're having a ton of success with high doses of doxycicline (sp?). I've not tried it, but she said quite a few vets down there are doing that and treating costs about $60!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
One of the girls that does rescue in Miami that I know said they're having a ton of success with high doses of doxycicline (sp?). I've not tried it, but she said quite a few vets down there are doing that and treating costs about $60!
http://www.examiner.com/x-14505-Atla...isease-in-dogs

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...433de43b0a8c9b

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=610

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,537 times
I can't say I have any experience with this or advice, but I hope hope hope that your new little girl comes out with a clean bill of health! And of course, do you have any pictures of her yet to post? Good luck!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,870 times
IMOM (IMOM Home ) is another resource, though their currently available funds are limited to immediate life-threatening issues. However, their website also has a page of similar financial aid resources: Other sources for aid .

If she seems to be purebred Sheltie, check the AKC website (American Kennel Club - akc.org) for the national Sheltie club - they may have financial aid resources specific to their breed.

Good luck, & hope she doesn't need any heartworm treatment other than preventives.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
When I did Katrina fostering Heart Guard had grants for this, even though when I applied they had none available and cost us 1500.00 for 2 rescues we adopted out and Vet gave us a deal.Worth a try if has it.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM

119 posts, read 467,948 times
Well I called the vet today and he said that since heartworms were not a big problem in our area that he would suggest not testing her and just starting her on heartworm medicine. I am not sure what to do now. Should I have her tested even tho the vet said it wasnt necessary? She is going to get all her shots and spayed on Thursday but I am still a little worried about not having her tested. Any advice will be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs