Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 PM

382 posts, read 302,994 times

Advertisements

Me and my family just got a female boxer pure bred with papers on Monday. She seems to be in good health etc. I was just curious if we decide to breed her what are some precautions we should take as far as who we breed her with and when she is ready to be bred. She is 3.5 years old and the guy we got her from said she has only been in heat twice. Not sure if that is normal or not just mentioning it.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss14 View Post
Me and my family just got a female boxer pure bred with papers on Monday. She seems to be in good health etc. I was just curious if we decide to breed her what are some precautions we should take as far as who we breed her with and when she is ready to be bred. She is 3.5 years old and the guy we got her from said she has only been in heat twice. Not sure if that is normal or not just mentioning it.
Please don't breed your dog. There are so many boxers and boxer mixes who are in need of good homes. Petfinder has more than 7k boxers in need of homes, and there are many more who aren't listed on Petfinder.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:52 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Please don't breed your dog. There are so many boxers and boxer mixes who are in need of good homes. Petfinder has more than 7k boxers in need of homes, and there are many more who aren't listed on Petfinder.
I couldn't agree more. Any dog can have papers, it doesn't mean anything. Are you willing to spend thousands on health testing to ensure she doesn't have any genetic conditions she'll pass on to the pups? What do you hope to accomplish by breeding? Check out this site. It may change your mind!

Breeding Your Dog

Are you ready for the expenses that come with breeding? Here is an example of what it costs to breed your dog. In the end, you lose more money than you will ever make in the process, not to mention you put your dog at risk.

Cost of Breeding

Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Goodness gracious. I didn't realize so much went into it. I was just at wal mart and some guy was up there selling his pure bred boxer pups for 150-200$ gave me his number told me to call him when she came into heat again. I just wanted to do it once didn't want to make a business out of it.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:01 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
Quote:
Goodness gracious. I didn't realize so much went into it. I was just at wal mart and some guy was up there selling his pure bred boxer pups for 150-200$ gave me his number told me to call him when she came into heat again. I just wanted to do it once didn't want to make a business out of it.
LOL $100 says they're not purebred if a guy was standing outside of walmart with a box full of dogs. This is a tell tail sign of someone who is a back yard breeder who just wants to make a quick buck off of some pups. Or someone that was too stupid to get their dog fixed and ended up with a litter full of pups.

DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG!!!!

Just as Mak said, there is so much that goes into breeding that most people aren't aware of. It costs thousands of dollars and you will NEVER recoup that money. People like you that are just in it to make a few extra bucks here and there should NOT breed dogs, and in my opinion should not even own a dog!

Also you're not going to find a whole lot of people on this board that will give you advice on breeding. Most everyone on here rescues dogs because there are so many in shelters that need good loving homes.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Don't cry to much k pal. Why else breed a dog? I want to make money and if I had thought it was less expensive and time consuming I probably would have. Not saying I am not going to now but I am less likely to now that I see what it costs to make sure the pups are health enough etc. Also yes the puppies were pure bred I got out and looked at them and yes more than likely it was a back yard breeder who probably had no papers on his dog.Moderator cut: rude

Old 07-16-2010, 08:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,372 times
Wow, how proud you should be, with your aspirations to be a backyard breeder. The way to make money is to WORK, instead of taking advantage of poor animals. Hey, you could always try to sell your sperm, or have your wife donate eggs or be a surrogate if you're that hard up for cash and you think "breeding" is the answer. At least you have a choice.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Hey, you could always try to sell your sperm, or have your wife donate eggs or be a surrogate if you're that hard up for cash and you think "breeding" is the answer. At least you have a choice.
OMG, I'm dying....dying! That just might be the best thing I have read on this forum!

And as I stated, papers mean nothing. You seem to be focused on these "papers" that don't mean a thing. Every byb has these so-called "papers." It just means they paid for them, or better yet, printed them off a site.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
Quote:
Don't cry to much k pal. Why else breed a dog? I want to make money and if I had thought it was less expensive and time consuming I probably would have. Not saying I am not going to now but I am less likely to now that I see what it costs to make sure the pups are health enough etc. Also yes the puppies were pure bred I got out and looked at them and yes more than likely it was a back yard breeder who probably had no papers on his dog.Moderator cut: rude
Go volunteer at a shelter for a a few days, better yet just one day. See how many homeless dogs live there. Watch how many people come in and surrender their dogs. Take a walk down doggie death row and look into every single one of those dogs eyes and see the fear and longing for a good home. Watch when a dog gets euthanized then tell me that breeding a dog that probably isn't even a registered pure bred, that was bred by a backyard breeder is ok. Just because you want money, just because you think it's ok, ITS NOT OK!

There are so many dogs that get dumped in parks, turned over to animal control or the SPCA because people can't take care of them anymore, and more likely then not they got them as pups from backyard breeders. They thought they were purebred and going to be this fantastic dog, and they ended up with a handful of health problems they couldn't pay for. So off goes the dog, left for dead, and the people they bought it from keeps doing what they do. It's so sad that people even consider breeding anymore with the population in shelters that desperately need homes.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:08 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I wish people would understand that breeding healthy dogs requires so much more than throwing 2 dogs together.
Breed Standards SHOULD be met...and just because a dog is papered...means nothing. Do you have any clue of her lineage/pedigree? Were her parents or anyone in the line ever tested and CERTIFIED for they eyes, hips, elbows, hearts, etc? Do you know what a OFA certification is? And, yes, she should be certified in all these areas, as well as the Sire, before you breed her. Your goal should be the healthiest puppies possible and free of any genetic diseases.

And after the litter hits the ground, are you aware of the amt. of time and $ it takes to raise a litter?
Vet bills, vacs for the puppies , food and lots of time....and only if she has a normal birth. Any problems with the delivery, and your looking at a couple grand with a C-section. Oh yes...and Boxers have their tails snipped immediately after birth. That will be your first vet bill.(One of many)
Your going to have puppies for minimum 8 weeks...12 if you do things right...Your married to the litter 24-7...with clean-up after clean-up. Normal size litter for a Boxer is probably around 6 to 8. Have any idea how many times 8 puppies can pee in one day? Or poop...are you willing to give them baths every single day(many times , more than once a day) after they have slipped and slided in their own urine and poop? And don't forget the time it takes to socialize them.

And...do you think the guy would be standing outside of WalMart with a litter of pups, if his dogs pedigree was anything to speak of? Or even if he could sell them all that easily?
Please, do yourself and your dog a favor, have her spayed...and enjoy her as a family dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs