Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,916 times

Advertisements

There is a flexible net-like device that goes behind the front seats and keeps the dog away from the driver while driving.

But I think you should use a leash to make sure it will be ok too.

Also, please remember to use a chest collar, not a neck one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy's Sleepovers View Post
Yes. The picture above is a sure way to break a dog's neck should you get into an accident. The safest way to transport a dog is in a crate just large enough for him to turn around in. Next would be a harnes restraint system that attaches to the seat belt restraint. We transport all the time and will use both depending on the size of the dog. Larger dog's we prefer to crate. Moderator cut: no ads allowed
in an ideal world.... this is GREAT..... in the real world of volunteer rescue transport, it is not always possible........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
I think 20 miles will go by quickly, and you should be fine tethering your passenger. Ideally a harness is best, but we do the best we can, and sometimes you just need to use a leash. We do transports pretty often, and we usually just tether or crate, depending on the size and number of dogs. A lot of times when doing transports the weight or size of the dog is estimated, and it's hard to know what kind of harness will fit. Additionally, buying that many harnesses would be pricey for the originating rescue.

Actually, a few weeks ago a big GSD sat on my lap for an hour....and I don't outweigh him by much. He was a big sweetie though. (DH was driving.) I can't stop thinking about that dog. I wish more than anything we could have kept him. So OP, you might fall in love with the dog you're driving

This past weekend I transported a GSD mix who absolutely could not stop kissing me. I had him tethered, and he was willing to choke himself to get close enough to give me kisses. I stopped and unhooked him, and he draped himself over my shoulder for the rest of the trip. When I stopped, I immediately hooked him back up for safety.

sounds like a LOT of my passengers.....

Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
sounds like a LOT of my passengers.....
Yeah, they are just so grateful for getting a second chance and are so full of love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs