Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,374,825 times

Advertisements

Stan gotta believe that most of the "rules" about how to treat dogs are really meant to be rules on how to treat strange or unknown dogs.
With my Molly virtually every rule is broken LOL.
She demands head pets even to the point of putting her head through the arm opening on my desk chair to put her head in my lap. When she does that I alway think shes crazy as I could decapitate her if I moved my chair.
When I come home she makes sure she catches my eye then races for the bed to jump up, roll over and demand tummy rubs.
There are so many more but hey rules are to be broken and she's happy which is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM

106 posts, read 440,582 times
Percival is not fond of pats on the head, but a good ear scratch is wunnnerfullll (in his words). All the others love it.

Funny thing that I thought of when I saw the OP's post, I was told once by a so-called expert that you are never to rub a dog's belly because, and I quote, "it'll make 'em mean." LOL LOL Srsly? All my dogs will see you coming and from 5 feet away will assume the belly rubbin' position, and don't you pass them without at least a foot rubbing on the belly, the look you receive for walking away with no rub at all...you know you're in trouble.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM

821 posts, read 861,887 times
My dogs have no problem being pat on the head either so you aren't alone lol

Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
I think this would apply to strange dogs or dogs that arent just a big ol' pet. My dogs enjoy pats on the head, hugs and belly rubs. One prefers to back up to you and have you rub her butt. Probably because she has a etopic uretera and dribbles pee on ya.

I think that applies more to "prey" animals. I know my goats dont like it or horses probably due to the position of the eye and visual field.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My newest pup also really likes eating fruits and veggies. She will try to lick the beer out of my can...she split a tiny clementine orange with me the other day...

Do your dogs like things they are not supposed to like?
I forgot to mention that my boxer loves Vaseline petroleum jelly. crazy dog runs up and licks it off elbows and knees.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 PM

119 posts, read 467,948 times
I think a lot of these rules are more like guidelines and you have to know your own dog. My lab/shepherd doesnt like pats on the heads but loves his butt/back area scratched. My sheltie will actually put her head under you hand and if you quit she will tap you with her paw until you continue. My lab mix eats almost any human food except cucumbers but chocolate and grapes/raisins are a no no because they are harmful to dogs. Also the rule about playing tug of war would apply to some dogs but I have been playing it with my 81lb Buddy all his life and he is still the most gentle dog with not an ounce of agression even though he wins all the time.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,999 times
I think it just depends on the individual dog. My dogs love it but I'd be hesitant to do it to an unknown dog without first winning it's trust. A lot of dogs that shy away from a hand that approaches over their head seem happy to accept having their chin scratched after a slow approach from beneath their line of sight.

I've had the opportunity to work with a number of protection/patrol dogs. A common practice working with them even when working as a bite decoy is to pet them on the head to reward them for their actions. They accept it and happily wag their tails despite their jaws being firmly clamped on your arm.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 911 times
My dog, olde English bull, i started patting him on the head over and over and he got really offended. I wasn't doing it purposely. I was just amazed how soft his big head is. Well he backed up and barked in a growling way, then went and set next to my son and began to show ME his bottom teeth. He's never acted that way I've had him months now, and let me tell you... I'll not make that mistake again!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But both my dogs insist I do it. To the point they will shove their heads under my hands repeatedly...one of them will even move her head back and forth under my hand if I haven't succumbed to her will fast enough to show me how to do it.
My guys will do this if I'm lying on the couch, and they lie on the floor, begging for belly rubs or head scritches. They both love getting their head, noses, and behind their ears scratched.

But if I'm standing and bend down to pet them, they both shy away from my hand, lowering their heads a little. But then they let me pet them.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
My say a Gentle petting is fine BUT Please Dont Smack! We are Smarter than Tony [NCIS] LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs