Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am a bit neurotic, and I will read 'how to' books on everything from relationships to house cleaning to dog training...and I'll read several 'authorities' to get a wide spectrum of opinions on everything...

One thing I noticed that has been repeated in many dog training books is how much dogs really don't like being patted on the head and how it's kind of rude and sometimes threatening.

I can totally see it if you look at it from the dog's perspective.

But both my dogs insist I do it. To the point they will shove their heads under my hands repeatedly...one of them will even move her head back and forth under my hand if I haven't succumbed to her will fast enough to show me how to do it.

Another thing they mention is that dogs don't really like being hugged, as it is a dominance thing for them...but my dogs will get into our laps (60 pounds of OOF!) and nuzzle in until our arms are wrapped around them.

My newest pup also really likes eating fruits and veggies. She will try to lick the beer out of my can...she split a tiny clementine orange with me the other day...

Do your dogs like things they are not supposed to like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
I think it is a dominance thing. My dogs do the same as yours. They shove their heads under my hand. My cats do the same too.

I think they have decided that you are the boss and it is a fitting hello to the boss.

My Bichon is like a cat and will crawl unto my shoulders and sit there.

My boxer who is about 60 lbs thinks he is a lap dog jumps up into laps all teh time. He also loves hugs. He will stand on his hind legs when someone is in a chair and put his front paws o eitehr side of you to give you a hug.

My Bichon will eat anything that wasn't made for dogs. he loves spinach, carrots tomatoes etc. The boxer will eat anything he can swallow.

I am scared because my bichon seems to go crazy at the smell of chocolate but I have heard that it is bad for dogs. He will try to take a bite right out of a candy bar in your hand if he is close enough (like on your shoulder). He loves the smell of that. And Ramen

Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I'm the boss but they get to say when it's time for petting?!! LOL!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
The Bichon is really bossy. I had to carry him outside this morning because he was tired from a long walk yesterday and he went to bed late. He really doesn't like being woken up.

He is only ten lbs but he can bring down the boxer.

But Yeah he says when its time for petting. he will give you an evil look and walk away if you try petting him when he is taking a beauty nap

Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM

293 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Each dog is different I am sure. Some dogs like it. My little dog loves rubbing under her neck, ears, not petting really. She loves all kinds of food. Fresh food is great as long as it is the safe foods for them.

Yes, do not give chocolate.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,102 times
My dogs have no issue with petting on the head. Finn my Corgi loves to cuddle and get hugs, Rita a bulldog is so so with hugs, she is affectionate tho, but our male bulldog hated to be hugged. You could see it in his face, his eyes would get really big and he would just freeze. He was not in the least bit affectionate.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,819,491 times
My dachsund mix fits the mold, doesn't like being pet on the head or hugged by other people. She didn't like it when I first got her. She accepts it and seems to like it from me now, but she shrinks from other people when they try it. I just tell them to pat her on the chest, and not to put an arm around her or hug her.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
My dogs like me to pat their heads - I stroke betwen their eyes on up the forehead. BUt I would NEVER attempt that with a dog I didn't know very well.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My dogs like me to pat their heads - I stroke betwen their eyes on up the forehead. BUt I would NEVER attempt that with a dog I didn't know very well.
I did this to my GSD and he loved it, he would almost fall over when sitting because he would be so relaxed.

It also worked with a few dogs that were nervous in the grooming shop.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:34 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Nanners knows human math: hand on head = ear scratching... so she has no problem with the concept. I do have a problem when she gets insistent about flopping her head so my hand ends up on top of it, as I'm the one who determines when that stuff is handed out, not she. All it takes is one utterance of the command sound and she stops the behavior. For awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs