Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times

Advertisements

Codie has these in her mouth and lips. She's young (1ish, maybe a little older). She finished a 10-day course of Azithromycin yesterday, but they remain and, if anything, they are bigger than they were originally when I spotten them on July 27/28. I assume she was infected by the virus at doggie daycare.

Has anyone else had experience with these? Supposedly they will go away on their own over time, but how much time? Is there anything I should be doing?

She's on a food trial testing for allergies so I can't give her any food. I read a few things on blogs about L-lysine, but not from official vet sources. I don't think my vet really knows much about this condition.

Anyone knowledgable?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
No experience with it.

Found this: Canine Oral Papilloma Virus Diagnosis

Merck Veterinary Manual

Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Codie has these in her mouth and lips. She's young (1ish, maybe a little older).
I have no insight, except to say that my dog had this and had them in his mouth (inside lower lip, side of tongue, under tongue). I noticed them around the time I was sending him in for a dental cleaning, so the vet just surgically removed them when he was under anesthesia. That was about 6 years ago, and they never reappeared.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,553 times
We had this go through our dogs several years ago and yes they did disappear on thier own. We were exposed at the dog park.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,553 times
Kind of embarrassing, some suggested the dogs have an STD.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 PM

126 posts, read 673,745 times
a friend's dog had them. She was 1. They are gone now, I believe on their own, and I don't think she's turned 2 yet.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
Just an update.

I first noticed the "things" on Codie's lip on July 23. They are warts.

It's now September 9 and they are almost gone. We did 14 days of azithromycin and that did nothing.

Then on August 25, I gave her 1 Thuja occidentalis pellet (30cc, and available at Whole Foods.) The warts started to get smaller.

Three of them were almost gone, but one was still significantly large. So on September 5, I gave her one more pellet of thuja. Last night she was scratching her lip with her paw and hit the wart site. It bled (a lot) but now the wart is really small compared to what it was (~3mm).

My conclusion is that the Thuja occidentalis probably did work. I read online that the dosage should be one 30cc pellet, and then after 2 weeks, one more pellet if the first round didn't work.Knowing what I know now, I would not spend the $ on azithromycin again. I would try the Thuja occidentalis first (about $6).I sure will be glad when the warts are completely gone so I can resume her doggie daycare! I'm hoping that a week from now they will have vanished.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 AM

467 posts, read 1,774,424 times
Both of my girls had them as older puppies (8-10 months). They both probably had about 10 in total, on and in their mouths, and the warts ran their course in about 6 weeks (from first appearance until totally gone). Quite common, per my vet, akin to chicken pox in human children, so seen primarily in animals that socialize quite frequently. No meds needed - they were ugly, but didn't bother the dog, and completely self-resolved.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
It is so important to talk to your dogs about the company they keep and how to use protection.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 21,441 times
hi just got rid of my dogs' warts. Once they start to go, they retreat FAST. Tried Azithromyacin, did not work. I read that if you can somehow make them bleed, it stimulates the immune system to get in. So I kept throwing his hard ball, which he caught with his mouth. The warts on his tongue and lip bled a little and I know it hurt him, but he loves to play so we kept at it. After about a week, I noticed the huge wart on his tongue was 90% gone. Then they just all went away in about 2 weeks, saw a daily improvement. He is only 18 months, so immature immune system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs