Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 09:29 AM

533 posts, read 1,834,621 times

Advertisements

We weren't satisfied with the yeast infection diagnosis Chase got this past week and really the service at his regular vet. He's been an itchy pup since we got him and had the crusty ear tip with hairloss and itchy, scabby elbows as well and they only finally said it was yeast. We've spent a lot of money at that vet's office for different issues and there were a lot of things I wasn't crazy about. So we finally got a second opinion today. Our new vet did a skin scrape which showed half a scabie! Normally they are very difficult to find on skin scrapes, but they saw one. So now he's being treated for scabies. Also, our old vet put him on Fluconazole for 30 days which our new vet thought was excessive and advised us to stop by day 10.

Anyways, I am pretty grossed out about the scabies. I'm gonna vacuum and clean all his bedding. Anything else I should do?

Of course he started doggy daycare in the last week and a half and exposed other dogs because of his misdiagnosis. I feel bad about that. No daycare/dog parks/play dates for a month...bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:13 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
There really isn't a whole lot else you can do, except to keep the areas he is in clean. I once adopted/was adopted by some stray cats with scabies (a.k.a. sarcoptic mange) who were treated with ivermectin (or some other kind of dewormer) and were fine within a very short while.

I researched and this is what I found:

Affected dogs must be isolated. They and their surroundings must be cleaned thoroughly. They can be treated with a number of parasitical treatments. Wash in sulfurate lime rinse once a week is recommended. Selamectin is a drug promoted in many countries. Ivermectin is effective but banned in certain places due to its side effects.

I never had any negative side effects with the ivermectin and the cats, and most vets I know still use it to effectively treat scabies/mange. You can do the lyme dip but it really isn't necessary if he is being treated with a dewormer. Just keep everything clean (including yourself) with soap and hot water.

Honestly, of all of the things he could have, sarcoptic mange is a blessing. It's a parasite and can be killed fairly easily; symptoms usually resolve within 2-4 weeks when treated with a dewormer. Stress mange and/or yeast are actually much harder to treat.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:20 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,782 times
Ivermectin

I use this as a heart worm med as cheaper but use 1/10 mil per 10 pounds dog. I get this at a farm store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs