Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,576,691 times

Advertisements

I am not a breeder but joined a dog club and met a lot of very serious breeders who love their breed.

The Palm Beach County Commissioners , upon the recommendation of the Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control, have passed a resolution to approve mandatory Spay/Neuter in Palm Beach County. The rule extends to all the breeders who are in opposition of this rule. Here are their argument.

1. Sterilization of any animal is a medically invasive surgery best decided between the veterinarian and the client. While voluntary sterilization is highly recommended, mandatory government interference in medical decisions can lead to a very slippery slope.

2. One must consider the potential of harmful effects down the road when local puppies are no longer available including importing from outside the country, black market smuggling and sleazy internet sales.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
I think that in the places that have these mandatory spay/neuter laws there is always a provision for breeders (who must register), medical conditions that would make the surgery unsafe, etc.

I wholeheartedly support legislation of this type. Way to many dogs/cats are euthanized in this country every single day.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
I am not a breeder but joined a dog club and met a lot of very serious breeders who love their breed.

The Palm Beach County Commissioners , upon the recommendation of the Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control, have passed a resolution to approve mandatory Spay/Neuter in Palm Beach County. The rule extends to all the breeders who are in opposition of this rule. Here are their argument.

1. Sterilization of any animal is a medically invasive surgery best decided between the veterinarian and the client. While voluntary sterilization is highly recommended, mandatory government interference in medical decisions can lead to a very slippery slope.

2. One must consider the potential of harmful effects down the road when local puppies are no longer available including importing from outside the country, black market smuggling and sleazy internet sales.

What do you think?
I sadly don't think this country or any given community will ever have to worry about argument number two. Sad isn't it?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:36 PM

216 posts, read 829,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I sadly don't think this country or any given community will ever have to worry about argument number two. Sad isn't it?
That's for sure

Personally, I'm against breeding unless you're showing. There's a pet overpopulation crises, has been for so many years and things are not getting any better. We need to do something drastic, too many animals are being killed for no reason other than there's not enough homes.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I think that in the places that have these mandatory spay/neuter laws there is always a provision for breeders (who must register), medical conditions that would make the surgery unsafe, etc.

I wholeheartedly support legislation of this type. Way to many dogs/cats are euthanized in this country every single day.
Agree with you.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,711,310 times
I don't see how they could include breeders! I mean good ones. Thats insane. Are they not making exceptions? If not then I don't agree. Even on the Pit Bull restrictions where mandatory spay/neuter is required they exempt the Pit Bulls which compete in shows. I'd think the same would be for breeders, but you never know in this day and age. Their goal is to NOT HAVE ANY MORE PUPS. Forget importing or smuggling. Once all dogs are spayed/neutered they will be happy most likely. A campaign like this would highly be funded by PETA or HSUS. They need to enforce the kennel laws they already have and make m S/N for pets, not all dogs. Is this all the info or is there some missing???

Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Here is an excerpt from the official website for The California Healthy Pet Act.

This past February, Assembly Bill 1634, the California Healthy Pets Act, was introduced to address this horrific problem by promoting responsible pet ownership in California by requiring most dog and cat owners to spay or neuter their pet by the age of six months.

The bill has many common sense exemptions for legitimate breeders, show animals, police dogs, guide dogs, search-and-rescue dogs, and for dogs and cats too old or too sick to undergo surgery. Spay and neuter ordinances and laws have been proven to be an effective solution throughout California and the United States. In addition, dogs that are not spayed or neutered are three times more likely to attack humans and other dogs and cats. California leads the nation in dog bites and maulings.

Personally, I can't imagine it would be any different in FL or anywhere else. What they are trying to avoid is accidental breeding by irresponsible pet owners.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 21,852 times
We live in Va Beach Va. Any info on dog activities here? we have a 7 month old Aussie.
thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 02:41 PM

Here is an excerpt from an article in the Sun Sentinel regarding the proposed law in Palm Beach.

The proposed policy would require that all dogs and cats be sterilized unless there's documented medical reason for the pet not to be sterilized, that it's a proven show dog or cat, or that it's the property of a county-permitted animal breeder.

Here is the article Palm Beach County commissioners favor pet sterilization policy -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 10-29-2007, 02:57 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,274,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
or that it's the property of a county-permitted animal breeder.
And I think there is your problem and your loophole all in one sentence...county-permitted. What exactly does that mean? That anyone who wants to breed an AKC dog can? It's called back yard breeding.

They have made a provision for show and older or ill animals, but until the breeders are breeding for the right reasons and not just to line their pockets or to show the "miracle of life" (oh, that one makes my teeth hurt!), there's a problem. It's also a problem that probably only a qualified breeder can educate folks on, but most people/politicians don't want to be educated.

I'd say the legal team has a long way to go on their proposal - and a long way toward figuring out just what type dogs the county will allow to remain intact for breeding purposes. Let us not forget that many, many puppy mills are sanctioned by the government, and all they are is assembly line warehouses for substandard dogs and cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs