Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,953,654 times

Advertisements

Silly Artie! I'm also in Ct., and see coyotes during the day sometimes. Coyotes are not simply nocturnal, they are primarily nocturnal. They hunt mostly at night, but often during the day, too. So don't automatically assume a coyote during the day is sick. I think you got good advice from Shreve. I wouldn't panic, but would just remain cautious. It's funny, I do a lot of hiking with our dog (well, he's too old now but the new puppy will be my new hiking partner) and running into a coyote isn't something I fear. Instead, I am more worried about mountain lions. "Experts" say there are no mountain lions in Ct., but we have a friend who recently photographed one right in his backyard. He's not telling officials though, because he doesn't want the mass panic it would create, possibly resulting in harm to the mountain lion. But I hike near his home sometimes.

Coyote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coyotes are primarily nocturnal, but can often be seen during daylight hours.[5] Coyotes were once essentially diurnal, but have adapted to more nocturnal behavior with pressure from humans (McClennen et al., 2001).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,169,690 times
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Lions and coyotes and bears! Oh my!!!!

I'd somehow feel less afraid if I saw one during the day because there are people around -- or I wouldn't be afraid of ringing someone's doorbell and waking them.

Anyway, it's an interesting tale to tell (which I hope not to have to tell again, honestly). And in a way, I'm less afraid now, now that I've heard what people have to say.

Stay close to your puppy anyway!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM

5,029 posts, read 10,762,182 times
Haha, I'm from CT.

I'm now in Florida and actually miss coyotes and coydogs (and deer, wild turkeys, seasons, etc. LOL), which I used to see while riding all of the time.

My CT. parents would always answer my questions re: some "new" animal that I had seen with that very typically blase, yankee tone of "Oh, that's a coydog," as though it were the most natural thing in the world (which it really is). They were never frightened or shocked by wild animals, and I am so happy that I was able to grow up in that kind of atmosphere. I guess that's why the alligators aren't too frightening, although even my father has warned me about those I guess, in comparison, coyotes really aren't that big a deal

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,246,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie's just 35 pounds and, although it's all muscle, the coyote isn't likely to know that at first glance.
At a muscular 35 pounds Artie would be a handful for a lone coyote to take on, although many of the Eastern coyotes are wolf/coyote hybrids and can go as much as 50 pounds in rare animals. Coyotes will pair up or form small packs and gang up on larger dogs, so if and when more than one is seen together is when the danger to medium and large sized dogs goes up. Predators have a high sense of risk/reward and are usually cautious in attacking another animal that can injure or even kill them. It is the cats and small dogs and pets such as rabbits and birds that would be in great danger from marauding coyotes.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Haha, I'm from CT.

I'm now in Florida and actually miss coyotes and coydogs (and deer, wild turkeys, seasons, etc. LOL), which I used to see while riding all of the time.

My CT. parents would always answer my questions re: some "new" animal that I had seen with that very typically blase, yankee tone of "Oh, that's a coydog," as though it were the most natural thing in the world (which it really is). They were never frightened or shocked by wild animals, and I am so happy that I was able to grow up in that kind of atmosphere. I guess that's why the alligators aren't too frightening, although even my father has warned me about those I guess, in comparison, coyotes really aren't that big a deal
That's what I'll tell him next time I see that coyote: 'You really aren't that big a deal, y'know! Even StarlaJane said so. Neener, neener, neener."

Then I'll pee in my pants and run home.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
At a muscular 35 pounds Artie would be a handful for a lone coyote to take on, although many of the Eastern coyotes are wolf/coyote hybrids and can go as much as 50 pounds in rare animals. Coyotes will pair up or form small packs and gang up on larger dogs, so if and when more than one is seen together is when the danger to medium and large sized dogs goes up. Predators have a high sense of risk/reward and are usually cautious in attacking another animal that can injure or even kill them. It is the cats and small dogs and pets such as rabbits and birds that would be in great danger from marauding coyotes.
This is good news! Artie is a Lab mix -- he has short legs, so it's likely that he's a mix with Corgi or Beagle -- but he's all monster. He has some serious aggression issues and is "strong like bull!" so I'm glad to hear that coyotes can sense his being a handful.

If I saw a pair or more, though, I think I'd faint from fear. Seriously.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:13 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,630,497 times
I agree that coyotes are not just nocturnal, as I frequently see then during the day. I was even out at the mail box one day and a mother coyote with 5 pups came trotting down the road and passed maybe 6 feet away from me . They all just turned their heads and looked at me as I looked at them as they passed by.

Years ago when Jazz was a puppy there was a young coyote out at the lake we walked at that would come and walk along side us with maybe a 5-6 ft width between itself and Jazz. I always felt like I was walking two dog only one was leash free and was really a coyote. We would see it everyday and talk to others that had the same experience. One lady even had her cocker off leash and said he chased the coyote then the coyote chased him much like two pups playing As I said it was a young one and I think it was lonely and don't know what happened to its family except alot of people kill the coyotes. Our walks continued for a few months and because it was so use to people and dogs I was able to get great close up photos( back in the day of film cameras!).

One day we no longer saw it and a couple of months later Jazz pulled on her leash and pulled me into some brush and there was the skeleton of a coyote and Jazz was rather freaked by it so maybe it was "our Coyote" as we never saw it again.

The coyotes do not freak me out as I doubt unless one was sick it would attack my dogs or me so I enjoy seeing them when I do and I love listening to them when they are calling out to one another. I live on a hill that has a canyon so they are a common sight and sound.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I agree that coyotes are not just nocturnal, as I frequently see then during the day. I was even out at the mail box one day and a mother coyote with 5 pups came trotting down the road and passed maybe 6 feet away from me . They all just turned their heads and looked at me as I looked at them as they passed by.

Years ago when Jazz was a puppy there was a young coyote out at the lake we walked at that would come and walk along side us with maybe a 5-6 ft width between itself and Jazz. I always felt like I was walking two dog only one was leash free and was really a coyote. We would see it everyday and talk to others that had the same experience. One lady even had her cocker off leash and said he chased the coyote then the coyote chased him much like two pups playing As I said it was a young one and I think it was lonely and don't know what happened to its family except alot of people kill the coyotes. Our walks continued for a few months and because it was so use to people and dogs I was able to get great close up photos( back in the day of film cameras!).

One day we no longer saw it and a couple of months later Jazz pulled on her leash and pulled me into some brush and there was the skeleton of a coyote and Jazz was rather freaked by it so maybe it was "our Coyote" as we never saw it again.

The coyotes do not freak me out as I doubt unless one was sick it would attack my dogs or me so I enjoy seeing them when I do and I love listening to them when they are calling out to one another. I live on a hill that has a canyon so they are a common sight and sound.
Awwwww about the playing!
And FEH! about the dead one.

You'd love this site: The Daily Coyote if you haven't already seen it. She posts a new photo every day and it's all a big lovefest.

Your story makes me feel better. From the ragged mess I was this morning, go figure that I'd WANT to see another one close up tomorrow. Well, OK, maybe tomorrow's too soon.

But I somehow knew that "talking" with you guys and hearing from Shreve (of The Daily Coyote) would calm me tremendously. Great job, guys!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,551,208 times
D I'm glad you and Artie Fartie are ok I would probably pee my pants if I saw a coyote and I know for sure Bella and Buster would try to play with it, even from afar lol

Old 08-26-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
D I'm glad you and Artie Fartie are ok I would probably pee my pants if I saw a coyote and I know for sure Bella and Buster would try to play with it, even from afar lol
I was shocked that I stayed dry!

My fear with Artie was that he would lunge and/or bark. He stood stock-still. It was almost spooky. I guess he knew that it wasn't a dog. He must have.

My concern for my friend's Labs, though, is that they're off-leash. They're very friendly and whenever they see a person or a dog, they both go rushing over to "say hi." I called him this morning -- I may have written this in my OP, sorry if I'm repeating myself -- to warn him.

I'm guessing, from what we now know from what everyone wrote, the Labs would be be more in danger than stock-still Artie, because if the coyote thought it was under attack, it might defend itself. I imagine he thought Artie was a statue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs