Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 PM

5,017 posts, read 10,713,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That's what I'll tell him next time I see that coyote: 'You really aren't that big a deal, y'know! Even StarlaJane said so. Neener, neener, neener."

Then I'll pee in my pants and run home.
You are so funny!

I also agree that they can be seen during the day; it just isn't as common. However, I have also heard of people seeing them out in the open during the day, especially early in the morning and/or evening.

And, seriously, compared to the alligators (and sharks and, yes, sandhill cranes), the coyotes really are not that big a deal, unless, as others have pointed out, there is a pack--or even two--of them, and they are purposefully hunting.

A pair went after my stepmother's JRT in the morning once, in CT., when the JRT was doing his business on the front lawn. One came out to "lure" the JRT, who, predictably, gave chase, which was what the coyote was counting on. Fortunately, my SM was standing right there, and she ran after JRT, yelling at him to come back. As she got closer to the hay field (that borders the lawn and to where the JRT had run), she saw another coyote lying in wait.

There's a valid reason why the cartoon character's full name was "Wile E. Coyote."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 04:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,074,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
You are so funny!

I also agree that they can be seen during the day; it just isn't as common. However, I have also heard of people seeing them out in the open during the day, especially early in the morning and/or evening.

And, seriously, compared to the alligators (and sharks and, yes, sandhill cranes), the coyotes really are not that big a deal, unless, as others have pointed out, there is a pack--or even two--of them, and they are purposefully hunting.

A pair went after my stepmother's JRT in the morning once, in CT., when the JRT was doing his business on the front lawn. One came out to "lure" the JRT, who, predictably, gave chase, which was what the coyote was counting on. Fortunately, my SM was standing right there, and she ran after JRT, yelling at him to come back. As she got closer to the hay field (that borders the lawn and to where the JRT had run), she saw another coyote lying in wait.

There's a valid reason why the cartoon character's full name was "Wile E. Coyote."
Whoa!

I'm gonna get me a Road Runner! Then I'll be safe!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,532,157 times
Carry a big stick and as long as your dog is same size or larger and a single coyote should not have to worry as coyote will keep distance. Now if have a ankle biter he may come looking for a meal.

I heard some use small dogs to bait coyotes as will go after a smaller dog thinking easy meal but dogs trained good enough to stay within a certain distance and lure coyote closer to shooter.

Sand Hill cranes those things can be nuts. On a SAR exercise walking in a brushy field seen 2 chicks and oh no here comes mom and I got out of my pattern fast.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,052,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I agree that coyotes are not just nocturnal, as I frequently see then during the day. I was even out at the mail box one day and a mother coyote with 5 pups came trotting down the road and passed maybe 6 feet away from me . They all just turned their heads and looked at me as I looked at them as they passed by.

Years ago when Jazz was a puppy there was a young coyote out at the lake we walked at that would come and walk along side us with maybe a 5-6 ft width between itself and Jazz. I always felt like I was walking two dog only one was leash free and was really a coyote. We would see it everyday and talk to others that had the same experience. One lady even had her cocker off leash and said he chased the coyote then the coyote chased him much like two pups playing As I said it was a young one and I think it was lonely and don't know what happened to its family except alot of people kill the coyotes. Our walks continued for a few months and because it was so use to people and dogs I was able to get great close up photos( back in the day of film cameras!).

One day we no longer saw it and a couple of months later Jazz pulled on her leash and pulled me into some brush and there was the skeleton of a coyote and Jazz was rather freaked by it so maybe it was "our Coyote" as we never saw it again.

The coyotes do not freak me out as I doubt unless one was sick it would attack my dogs or me so I enjoy seeing them when I do and I love listening to them when they are calling out to one another. I live on a hill that has a canyon so they are a common sight and sound.
bailey and dave and i had a coyote follow us for about a mile on our walk one morning... he was near the entrance to our walking area when we got there and REALLY took his time going back into the woods while i was unloading the dogs from the car.... we passed the spot where he went into the woods and i didn't see him, so figured he had taken off.... a few minutes later, i happened to turn around adn look behind us and THERE he was in the road... just trottin' along and trying to act cool .... i kept a close eye on him and he was DEFINITELY following us.... but never got closer than about 50-60 feet or so.... and this went on for a mile to a mile and a quarter.... i got the feeling he was just very curious about us..... once i realized he was hanging back far enough for him and for us to be safe, i wasn't the least bit nervous..... and since bailey and dave are focused on what's coming ahead, they were none the wiser.....

the spot where he went into the woods as we entered the walking area always gets bailey and dave's attention on our way out of the park in the morning..... i sometimes wonder if he is not in there just checking us out.....

Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 AM

5,017 posts, read 10,713,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
bailey and dave and i had a coyote follow us for about a mile on our walk one morning... he was near the entrance to our walking area when we got there and REALLY took his time going back into the woods while i was unloading the dogs from the car.... we passed the spot where he went into the woods and i didn't see him, so figured he had taken off.... a few minutes later, i happened to turn around adn look behind us and THERE he was in the road... just trottin' along and trying to act cool .... i kept a close eye on him and he was DEFINITELY following us.... but never got closer than about 50-60 feet or so.... and this went on for a mile to a mile and a quarter.... i got the feeling he was just very curious about us..... once i realized he was hanging back far enough for him and for us to be safe, i wasn't the least bit nervous..... and since bailey and dave are focused on what's coming ahead, they were none the wiser.....

the spot where he went into the woods as we entered the walking area always gets bailey and dave's attention on our way out of the park in the morning..... i sometimes wonder if he is not in there just checking us out.....
I may sound naive but I honestly think that they are very interested in humans and their dogs, and not just as a meal. Most coyotes I have encountered just want to observe the behavior of an animal that they don't know much about (i.e. humans), and I am sure that the presence of dogs in the company of these strange, upright creatures only piques their curiosity. Many times, they are also interested in the dog for breeding purposes (;

But your right to have kept an eye on him; one thing is for sure: never, ever trust a coyote (or any wild animal, for that matter).

Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,341,597 times
omg, I just googled "coyote" and found this picture of puppies. They are so cute!

YS07+coyote+pups+193_9376+b.jpg (image)

I have never seen one, but I'm not sure I would know that it was a coyote and not just a dog running loose.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
omg, I just googled "coyote" and found this picture of puppies. They are so cute!

YS07+coyote+pups+193_9376+b.jpg (image)

I have never seen one, but I'm not sure I would know that it was a coyote and not just a dog running loose.
Oh! They're precious!

I've viewed the daily photos on The Daily Coyote every day for the past however many years the site's been up, so I knew *immediately* that it was a coyote. It has similar colorings and markings to a GSD but is MUCH thinner and its snout is much more pointy.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,052,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I may sound naive but I honestly think that they are very interested in humans and their dogs, and not just as a meal. Most coyotes I have encountered just want to observe the behavior of an animal that they don't know much about (i.e. humans), and I am sure that the presence of dogs in the company of these strange, upright creatures only piques their curiosity. Many times, they are also interested in the dog for breeding purposes (;

But your right to have kept an eye on him; one thing is for sure: never, ever trust a coyote (or any wild animal, for that matter).
when i first saw him following us, i'll admit, i got a little nervous.... there are VERY few other people, if any out there when we are..... and i was running through in my mind how quickly i could let bailey and dave go from their leashes so they could get away if needed.....

but once i watched him for a bit, that is EXACTLY the sense i had from this fella ..... he made sure to hang far enough back to not be a threat or feel threatened.... but was definitely following and watching us ..... other regulars in the park have seen him do similar.... just not for as far or as long.....

Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,826,988 times
I live amongst coyotes, and the city states in their seasonal recreational brochure:

Do not turn your back to the coyote
Make loud noises
Wave your arms (to make you seem really big to the coyote)

Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I live amongst coyotes, and the city states in their seasonal recreational brochure:

Do not turn your back to the coyote
Make loud noises
Wave your arms (to make you seem really big to the coyote)
This is going to be difficult!

Do not turn your back to the coyote -- but I want to run home!
Make loud noises -- my neighbors will love that at 5.45am!
Wave your arms (to make you seem really big to the coyote) -- I'm 4' 11.5" and 100 pounds; maybe I should wear platform shoes and a parka!

Thanks, Steelstress. I appreciate the tips.

Two questions:
1. Have you come across any coyotes?

2. How are you doing? You OK, sweets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs