Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I thought Kindle books didn't count towards the free shipping since they are electronically delivered to your device? I order them all the time and am never given that option!
Yeah, I just looked -- that appears to be true.

Oh, M, you'll be pleased to know (and I'm allowed to go off-topic, right?, since this is my thread) that I'm thisclose to ALLOWING Jeremy to buy me a Kindle. And if (when) I get to the finishing line with a resounding "OK, J, go ahead, you can buy it for me," I'm giving myself one rule: I will only use it to read the classics (that are free to "purchase" / download). The books still under copyright (like the ones that I buy the second they're released, provided I haven't already pre-ordered them), I'll still buy in paper so that I can sell them and recoup practically all my money. Win-win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yeah, I just looked -- that appears to be true.

Oh, M, you'll be pleased to know (and I'm allowed to go off-topic, right?, since this is my thread) that I'm thisclose to ALLOWING Jeremy to buy me a Kindle. And if (when) I get to the finishing line with a resounding "OK, J, go ahead, you can buy it for me," I'm giving myself one rule: I will only use it to read the classics (that are free to "purchase" / download). The books still under copyright (like the ones that I buy the second they're released, provided I haven't already pre-ordered them), I'll still buy in paper so that I can sell them and recoup practically all my money. Win-win!
I understand why they charge what they do...I mean, publishers and the author do need to paid, I get that. Fine, I have no issues with that. What Amazon can do from their side is to allow us to trade books with friends, that's all their doing since the Kindle is their device. I have no issues paying $10 for a Kindle book when the "real" book is $15. Just let me swap with friends, that's all I ask.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak802 View Post
i understand why they charge what they do...i mean, publishers and the author do need to paid, i get that. Fine, i have no issues with that. What amazon can do from their side is to allow us to trade books with friends, that's all their doing since the kindle is their device. I have no issues paying $10 for a kindle book when the "real" book is $15. Just let me swap with friends, that's all i ask.
exactly!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Im so sorry this happened to you! I would have been terrified. My husband and I were on the flip side of this situation. I wasnt home at the time and I am grateful. We had a husky. It was our first dog, we were newly married and basically did everything you are not supposed to do when getting a dog. We saw the Husky pups and we went awee so they are cute! We knew nothing about the breed. Our dog was calm, never barked but was difficult to train. Very stubborn. While I was work hubby was home washing the car out front. He had the dog out front with him. I have no idea why he didnt put the dog on a leash. My husband looked up to see that our dog was on the neighbors front lawn and the neighbors poodle who was also not on leash trotted over to see my dog. So basically the dogs met in the middle on the neighbors lawn that separated us. My husband was just about to call our dog back over when the poodle snapped at our dog. It was on. My husband said it was like watching something in slow motion. My dog had a hold of this poodle in a second and began tearing it apart. My husband said it was one of the most disturbing things he had ever seen. He got the dogs apart. The poodle was still alive but ripped to shreds. The poodle owner saw it too and ran over.

The neighbor rushed the dog to the vet and the dog survived. Despite the injuries it looked worse that it was. My husband went over to talk to the neighbor expecting the worst but the poodle owner although very upset, agreed it was unfortunate. We offered to pay the whole vet bill, the neighbor refused and said half was fair since he was at fault too. After that, our husky wanted blood. She killed cats, birds, basically anything that wandered into our back yard (we never let her out front again). It was becoming a serious situation. When people walked by with a dog, she went nuts in the yard. Lucky for us my uncle that lives in a rural area wanted her. He had no other pets and I think the farm was the best situation for her. I think she simply needed a job to do and we couldnt offer that in the city or we were not knowledgeable enough to do so. We have had dogs since then but only after I read tons of material on the breed and properly train with classes etc. I personally would avoid that house from now on.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Im so sorry this happened to you! I would have been terrified. My husband and I were on the flip side of this situation. I wasnt home at the time and I am grateful. We had a husky. It was our first dog, we were newly married and basically did everything you are not supposed to do when getting a dog. We saw the Husky pups and we went awee so they are cute! We knew nothing about the breed. Our dog was calm, never barked but was difficult to train. Very stubborn. While I was work hubby was home washing the car out front. He had the dog out front with him. I have no idea why he didnt put the dog on a leash. My husband looked up to see that our dog was on the neighbors front lawn and the neighbors poodle who was also not on leash trotted over to see my dog. So basically the dogs met in the middle on the neighbors lawn that separated us. My husband was just about to call our dog back over when the poodle snapped at our dog. It was on. My husband said it was like watching something in slow motion. My dog had a hold of this poodle in a second and began tearing it apart. My husband said it was one of the most disturbing things he had ever seen. He got the dogs apart. The poodle was still alive but ripped to shreds. The poodle owner saw it too and ran over.

The neighbor rushed the dog to the vet and the dog survived. Despite the injuries it looked worse that it was. My husband went over to talk to the neighbor expecting the worst but the poodle owner although very upset, agreed it was unfortunate. We offered to pay the whole vet bill, the neighbor refused and said half was fair since he was at fault too. After that, our husky wanted blood. She killed cats, birds, basically anything that wandered into our back yard (we never let her out front again). It was becoming a serious situation. When people walked by with a dog, she went nuts in the yard. Lucky for us my uncle that lives in a rural area wanted her. He had no other pets and I think the farm was the best situation for her. I think she simply needed a job to do and we couldnt offer that in the city or we were not knowledgeable enough to do so. We have had dogs since then but only after I read tons of material on the breed and properly train with classes etc. I personally would avoid that house from now on.
Oh my gosh, that must have been terrifying. It sounds like your situation was some time ago but it's interesting how well you remember it. I guess we never forget something so awful, even if we're not there (thankfully) to witness it.

I don't blame the Husky around the corner. I don't even blame the owners. Her tie-out broke so what could I expect her to do? Knock on the door and tell the people? Nah, dogs are dogs. They do what they do. Stuff happens.

I'd like to try the air horn that I just ordered (I'm less eager to try the pepper spray that I have), but I hope to never have to. But, again, stuff happens. I'm glad that you've had dogs since -- at least the incident wasn't bad enough to frighten you away from getting another dog. I think that's a very good thing.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Thanks, Hopes! I appreciate your compliment. Coincidentally, the book that I referenced earlier in the thread? I'd written to the author, we communicated for a bit, and then he said, "I have a favor to ask of you: You write really well; would you mind writing a review of my book for Amazon?"

I never get tired of hearing people say that they enjoy my writing. It's a great feeling.

I did try to write a book once. OK, it was actually three times. And the publisher rejected all three of them. I'm three times bitten, forever shy now, I think.

I'm just happy that you all enjoy my Artie stories on this forum.
But they weren't Artie stories! Don't be forever shy!

Try again. Try the publishers of the books written about dogs.

I asked my former boss about this once for a friend. (I worked for a magazine and he had a published book.)

He said that the way to get published is to self-publish at first and sell your books on the internet.

Once you get a following, the publishers will be interested in doing a mass production.

I'm certain that all of us here would buy an Artie book!

It's a start! They tell two friends, they tell two friends, and so on.

It will be like Faberge commercial, only much, much better!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But they weren't Artie stories! Don't be forever shy!

Try again. Try the publishers of the books written about dogs.

I asked my former boss about this once for a friend. (I worked for a magazine and he had a published book.)

He said that the way to get published is to self-publish at first and sell your books on the internet.

Once you get a following, the publishers will be interested in doing a mass production.

I'm certain that all of us here would buy an Artie book!

It's a start! They tell two friends, they tell two friends, and so on.

It will be like Faberge commercial, only much, much better!

Thank you so much!!!! I'm going to have to give this some thought now, but I'm not sure what kind of Artie book I could write. I feel like it would only be good if it were true to life -- as things happen -- and not a contrived story, y'know what I mean? Anyway, I'll think about it... and thank you again for your vote of confidence!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,804 times
Quote:
Thank you so much!!!! I'm going to have to give this some thought now, but I'm not sure what kind of Artie book I could write. I feel like it would only be good if it were true to life -- as things happen -- and not a contrived story, y'know what I mean? Anyway, I'll think about it... and thank you again for your vote of confidence!
Hey I'd buy it

Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Hey I'd buy it
I'd download it to my Kindle...then e-mail the author to complain about the price!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Make it an Artie diary. You already have enough raw material for your first rough draft in this forum!

Go back and find your first Artie stories you posted here and start editing them for your Artie diary.

Of course, you'll figure out a super cool name for the book that's much better than Artie diary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs