Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM

175 posts, read 750,260 times

Advertisements

They have toys, food, another dog to play with but they want to chew on everything! (planters, water bottles, patio furniture, anything that gets left outside)

They do not do this in the house but I can't get them to settle down together in the house either. They can come in the house one at a time but not together!

They are on an electric fence. They get lots of attention-I live on a horse farm and people are always around to play with them and accidently sit something down so that the doggies can steal it and chew it up into a million pieces.

What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Sounds like your dogs need some of your attention, exercise and training! You have to teach them how to behave inside and they will not do this being all wound up with energy. Outside perhaps you need to build a kennel for when you cannot attend to them and keep them from being destructive. Dogs need boundaries and it seems as though perhaps those have not yet been set for them. These boundaries are for their own protection as well as the things outside that they tend to chew. Be the alpha of your pack!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Sounds like your dogs need some of your attention, exercise and training! You have to teach them how to behave inside and they will not do this being all wound up with energy. Outside perhaps you need to build a kennel for when you cannot attend to them and keep them from being destructive. Dogs need boundaries and it seems as though perhaps those have not yet been set for them. These boundaries are for their own protection as well as the things outside that they tend to chew. Be the alpha of your pack!
I agree, It sounds like the dogs are needing some of the OP's attention to me

Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Ding, ding, ding....We have a winner!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 PM

I give them lots of attention too, after all they are outside with me ;-) They have seperate kennels and an outdoor run that they absolutly hate :-(

They are still young about 10 months old one is a lab/shepard cross and the other was supposed to be a lab cross but I think she is a pit/boxer cross. The pit cross is the main chewer. I make them sit to be petted, they are still learning not to jump-thats hard when so many people come and go. Nobody wants to discipline someone elses dog. Although I do stop it when I'm with them.

They get so lazy indoors seperatly, I feel bad for them. All they want to do is lay there, but when they are together they just want to run around and play. I need to find a happy medium!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
I give them lots of attention too, after all they are outside with me ;-) They have seperate kennels and an outdoor run that they absolutly hate :-(

They are still young about 10 months old one is a lab/shepard cross and the other was supposed to be a lab cross but I think she is a pit/boxer cross. The pit cross is the main chewer. I make them sit to be petted, they are still learning not to jump-thats hard when so many people come and go. Nobody wants to discipline someone elses dog. Although I do stop it when I'm with them.

They get so lazy indoors seperatly, I feel bad for them. All they want to do is lay there, but when they are together they just want to run around and play. I need to find a happy medium!
Do you exercise them and stimulate their minds too? At that age, they need more than petting.

Just tell people you are trying to train your dogs not to jump, and ask that they don't let the dogs jump on them.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,473 times
If they are only 10 months, they are really still puppies. They should (hopefully) grow out of the crazy chewing eventually. Meanwhile, best advice I can give is provide them with lots of chewies, do your best to keep non-chewables out of their reach. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 AM

They can fetch, its so funny the pit goes and gets the ball while the shepard watches. Then when the pitt tries to bring the ball to me the shepard steals it and brings it to me so she can get the treat.

I just make them both sit and give them both a treat, then throw the ball again.

Daisy, the pitt, is a cuddle bug she wants nothing more than to be with me all day every day. I try to include her as much as possible, she goes on car rides, walks, play fetch with her, she the one that really wants all the attention but there are only so many hours in the day! She was a very timid puppy and i have tried to bring her out of her shell but I think it backfired.

Lilly, the shepard, is more food oriented. She stays underfoot when a treat is possible, including horse treats but other than that she's not interested in playing games just the treat at the end LOL

What things can I do with them to keep them stimulated? I need to train them to hunt squirrels but I have no clue how to do that and its a farm so there are 6 cats and bushy tails kind of all look alike

Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 AM

36,500 posts, read 30,843,355 times
It may just be the age or individual. One of mine (pit) is finailly getting over her chewing, although she will still chew on bones and sticks. Thats better than my cell phone. My older dogs only chew on bones/chews.

Quote:
Lilly, the shepard, is more food oriented. She stays underfoot when a treat is possible, including horse treats :O but other than that she's not interested in playing games just the treat at the end LOL
Hope its real treats and not "horse cookies". One of my dogs just loves to gobble up little donkey turds. Yuck.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 AM

119 posts, read 467,822 times
I also have a Lab/Shepherd and when he was younger he liked to chew and destroy. I trained him early and when I seen him with anything that wasnt his I would say not Buddies and then replace it with an acceptable toy and say Buddies toy and he learned very quickly.

It is kind of funny that my now 3 YO Lab/Shepherd is also food motivated but not very cuddly either. He wants to see you, be in the same room with you in case you drop food but doesnt need to be right next to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs