Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times

Advertisements

My one year old Min. Dachshund/Min. Pincher mix is chewing up everything! She chewed my area rug, my couches, my sneakers and now she moved on to my rattan furniture in the outside porch. She has access to that when I'm not home because that's where the doggie door is located. She has lots of toys, I walk her everyday, play with her and I was giving her rawhide until she started throwing up. I also have another dog she can play with, so I don't think it's boredom. The woman at the rescue where I got her said a lot of dogs throw up from rawhide so I stopped giving it to her but haven't determined if that was the problem. What have some of you down to stop chewing? Do the sprays work? Which are good to buy that don't ruin the furniture? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Chewing up everything!-img_1020.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
At a year, she's still young, I'd go back to crating her, it would be a temporary fix - unless you catch her in the act, it's hard to correct when you're not there. If you're gone for hours on end, would hire a dog walker to come in for them. BTW, glad you're nixing the rawhides, they can swallow them and they swell and get caught in their throats, not good. Mine chew bullysticks but not if I'm gone, then they pretty much just sleep (but mine are oldeR). Would walk yours before you leave or give them some exercise to vary their day-to-day routine as well as tire them out. Bitter Apple and Yuck (sprays) are good in that they deter chewing but they have to be reapplied often b/c they're less effective when dry. I think BA has a tube type for furniture you can check out, never used it though. Very cute photo, btw.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM

315 posts, read 1,092,051 times
that sweet little thing? causing trouble? chewing? come on!

seriously, try kongs. they are indistructable and you can fill them with treats or cheese and it will keep her busy. some dogs just like to chew. my miya was bad but has grown out of it now that she's turning three.

also, i get marrow bones from the market. put them in the freezer, and give it to both of my dogs. because they aren't cooked they don't splinter and it gives them hours of chew time. and they especially love them in the summer. (try and give them outside or on a tile floor).

good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Bitter Apple stopped my pittie from going after the furniture. I had to re-apply it after a few months but he got the message. My trainer also suggested giving him a carrot a day as some think this helps with wood=chewing (he was also eating the mulch outside). I think it worked b/c he doesn't go after the mulch anymore. He Looooves the carrot!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:37 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
I have a Kong for every workday. I fill them with plain, non-fat, unsweetened yogurt and freeze them. I put some yogurt in a seive over a bowl overnight in the refrigerator to thicken up and use that in the BOTTOM of the Kong so nothing leaks, then fill it up with regular yogurt to overflowing and freeze it.

My dog looks forward to his Kong every morning!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,324 times
Crating is probably the safest way to go. All of my dogs were crated during the day while I was gone until I knew for sure they weren't going to chew on anything. There are a lot of things they can chew on that can be very harmful to your dog. Also chewing on cloth items can cause blockage in the dogs intestines which can be deadly.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:07 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
I learned from the dog whisperer that if you see your dog chewing on something to get one of the dog toys, take the other item away with a firm no and give him the dog toy.
My dog is a chewer also and likes to chew on my house slippers but hasn't chewed on anything else lately.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times
She doesn't chew things except her toys in front of me, it's when I leave the house she goes to town on the furniture. I have Kong toys but she gets bored quick with that for some reason. Actually both of them get bored with those. I do crate her sometimes, if I'm only gone for a short time but I just started another part time job that I'm gone five to eight hours and I'm aganist putting her in a cage for that long. I just can't do that, plus we have a doggie door and she loves to go outside. Thanks for the opinions and I'll try some of the suggestions. She's so cute I can't even get upset with her when I look at that face. : )

Old 03-26-2009, 07:27 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
If this is only happening when you're away from the house then it seems like it's separation anxiety. I'd suggest crating her as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
She doesn't chew things except her toys in front of me, it's when I leave the house she goes to town on the furniture.
That sounds remarkably like separation anxiety, I have agree.

Crating will prevent her getting at the furniture, true. But I'd suggest you need to address the root cause as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs