Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 05:40 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,668,395 times

Advertisements

Awhile back I posted a thread about my recently diagnosed 12 yr old dog (aussie) having diabetes. It was under control and then she started peeing on rug every day. Kept having to up the dosage of insulin but still didn't help the peeing. She also was itching a lot. Gave her numerous baths, tried medicated, oatmeal, aloe, etc. (she is on frontline).

What we found out: She hadn't had her teeth cleaned for some time and were a bit nervous about having it performed. But they were awful and she had horrible breath. She also has siezures occasionally and that is another reason why we were reluctant to have her teeth cleaned. Anyway, we had them cleaned. Come to find out that we needed 8 teeth extracted. 4 bottom teeth that were rotten, 2 molars which were infected and can't remember about the other 2. Since then (which was performed last week). Here insulin has dropped almost in half, has not peed at all on the rug and she acts like a puppy again. I am trilled to know this has made her feel better. Wish she could of talked to tell me how her teeth were hurting her.

Please keep your doggie's teeth clean. They can cause all sorts of issues and I'm glad I finally was able to find the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
ANY infection in a diabetic person/dog/cat is going to cause insulin dosages to neeed to rise. It's the 1st sign I'm getting sick with something. Glad your baby is feeling better!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,059,404 times
That's great that she is doing so much better!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,668,395 times
I'm a bit surprised that the vet didn't mention anything about her teeth causing any issues or that it could for that matter. If we hadn't decided to go ahead with the cleaning (we took her to a different vet to have the teeth cleaning performed) I wonder how much worse things could have been. Thanks for the well wishes. I am awaiting to see if her insulin drops again as she is being tested tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,133 times
Dog diabetes is a puzzling disease. Most owners talk of different issues. My Bichon Lucky has been on 2 shots of insulin for going on 8 years. They live a long life if someone is willing and able. I've been retired for years and able to take care of him better than someone who is employed.
He has lost all his teeth. He has a ravenous appetite. I take him on long walks several times a day...and yet I would guess he pees 50 or more times a day. I am Costcos best customer for pee pads. I use a couple hundred a month. They are extra large and the least expensive available. Thank the universe he uses them nearly always. I love my dog but must tell you it's been and is hard. Best wishes for your pups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs