Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times

Advertisements

My dog has diabetes (diagnosed a few months ago). Had her under control, and now she is peeing on the rug every night... only at night. Had her checked out again by vet. Glucose was good (102) no urinary infection, no cushings indication problems, no thyroid issues, checked kidney... so what is it? She is 13 yrs old. Why would she still be drinking so much and peeing at night? I watched her one night. After we take her out before we go to bed..around 10:00 pm. She is up again around 11:30 making her way toward the door (where rug is). I took her out, she went to the bathroom. Go back in to go to bed. Then I hear her a couple hours later drinking water. Wake up the next morning, and of course she peed on the rug again. I am thinking of taking her to the Vet School here in Raleigh and maybe they can figure out what's going on. Plus she doesn't tell me anymore when she needs to go out. She used to whine at night to let me know.. but now she just goes. Any ideas? I changed her food also to a high protein diet to see if that will make any difference (just yesterday). I think it is called Orijen. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
No but my vet had me cut back on high protein food for my older dog because his protein levels were a bit high and hard on the kidney and he is only 7. at 13 it is possible the orijin is too high in protein. Can you restrict water in the evening? Crate her?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:38 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
My dog has diabetes (diagnosed a few months ago). Had her under control, and now she is peeing on the rug every night... only at night. Had her checked out again by vet. Glucose was good (102) no urinary infection, no cushings indication problems, no thyroid issues, checked kidney... so what is it? She is 13 yrs old. Why would she still be drinking so much and peeing at night? I watched her one night. After we take her out before we go to bed..around 10:00 pm. She is up again around 11:30 making her way toward the door (where rug is). I took her out, she went to the bathroom. Go back in to go to bed. Then I hear her a couple hours later drinking water. Wake up the next morning, and of course she peed on the rug again. I am thinking of taking her to the Vet School here in Raleigh and maybe they can figure out what's going on. Plus she doesn't tell me anymore when she needs to go out. She used to whine at night to let me know.. but now she just goes. Any ideas? I changed her food also to a high protein diet to see if that will make any difference (just yesterday). I think it is called Orijen. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Our dog, Lady, was diagnosed at 6 months as having diabetes. Rare with a K9 so young. She is now 4 and a half. When the vet told us she had diabetes, she also told us that as she aged her bladder would grow weaker. Intravenous insulin can only do so much. Diabetes is a terrible disease. I would most definitely take your furry family member to that Vet School. Hopefully, it just may be the protein in the food is too high.

As much as we keep up with Lady's insulin shots, our babygirl is already approximately 80-85% blind. But she doesn't let that get her down. She's one hell of a trooper.

Please let us know what you find out. It could help all of us out here that have DB dogs.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
I would take away her water at night for couple nights & see how she does.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM

I asked the vet earlier about limiting her on her water intake, she said not a good idea as a diabetic dog really needs access to it. She loves the dog food I just changed to, but maybe not such a good idea. Vet is coming again Tuesday. I'll ask her about the food. I may stay up all night to see what she does.. I sometimes wonder if she is getting confused... maybe because of getting older. I also change out the rug to make sure she doesn't smell where she went before.. that doesn't seem to make any difference either. I suppose I'll wait until Tuesday and if the vet doesn't have any more ideas, then I think I just might take her to the vet school then. She seems fine.. still playing a bit, chasing squirrels but sleeping more which I would expect with her age and diabetes. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Maybe just plan to get up and take her out once in the middle of the night?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 PM

Update: Vet just left and Scarlett (my dog) glucose was up to 406 again. Not really understanding why, but vet thinks it is because now she is eating her dry dog food (since we changed it recently because she wouldn't eat much of it before) and dry food contains more carbohydrates than wet food, and due to less activity because it is so hot outside (she stays indoors most of the day) that it just was out of whack. It is frustrating, because the week before it was low 100s. I hope that it will be better.. at least I know.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
My SengKye drank like you've described. Much later we learned he had bladder cancer.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My SengKye drank like you've described. Much later we learned he had bladder cancer.

Yikes! Don't tell me that.. but gosh she is still drinking a lot of water. Anything to help with that? Did you have an ultrasound? How'd you finally find it? Wouldn't her blood count be elevated? Just have so many questions.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Do you give her insulin shots ?
Do you.... yourself test your dogs blood sugars ? You might have to, to have more control to see when the blood sugar is spiking or going low.

If not, UR going to have to cut back on this new food.
no cookies, no snacks, no carrots until U figure out what is causing the high blood sugars.
FYI- even tho carrots are healthy, they have natural sugar in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs