Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I would take away her water at night for couple nights & see how she does.
My vet advised against this for my diabetic. They need the water regardless of where it ends up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,765 times
My Bichon, Maxwell, is doing the same thing. I also make sure he has plenty of water. NOt ever good to restrict water from a diabetic dog. My poor baby woke up this morning in a pool of urine. He was taken out before he was put in his little room for the night. I am now going to have to make sure he is sleeping on puppy pads. I don't really know why his sugar is out of whack. We are consistent with his insulin and food he eats. It is so frustrating and I hate giving him shots but I know he has to have them. I have a question about checking the sugar levels. Is it just so you can see if after he ate or after he got the insulin if the sugar is still too high??

Old 09-29-2014, 09:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmikinsw View Post
I have a question about checking the sugar levels. Is it just so you can see if after he ate or after he got the insulin if the sugar is still too high??
Diabetes is a progressive disease. Even if sugar levels are stable for a time, they can fluctuate and get higher over time requiring more insulin.

Checking sugar levels over a period of time (doing a curve) can let you know what is going on with your dogs levels throughout the day. It may mean a change of food, or an adjustment in insulin. I could never test my dogs myself but I've heard of many people doing the curves themselves.

Talk to your vet whenever there is a problem. There is also a K9 diabetes forum (google it) that has excellent members and resource information.

Good luck to you and little Maxwell.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,101 times
Well welcome to Diabetic dogs. Our mini 15 year old poodle started insulin about 2 to 3 months ago. Her sugar was 700 plus. We left her at the vets for 24 hours so they could regulate her. We got her back and was giving her 7 units and she was going from 300 to 500. The vet said to keep her at 7 units for a few days till she gets stable. She got in the upper 100's in about a week. The it started dropping to 60 and the vet started to take away the insulin, first 6, then 5. for a few more weeks, she held at 100. the the crashes started 41, then back up to normal, then 50, never knowing what each shot was going to bring. We had her a 4 units twice a day for another few weeks and again, she was going in the 50. So I started to give her 3 units for a few days now. We checked her at food time and if it was about 120 and she ate, 15 min later I would give her shot. Now yesterday, she was 120 at food time, I gave her 3 units and she dropped to 27.. Scare was not the words. Each time she dropped below 50 she would have seizurs and we kept the honey around. Anyway, I have no clue why her levels go up and down so fast sometimes. We make her food, chicken breast, brown rice, and mixed veggies. We use a blender, and 2 cups chicken, 1 cup veg, 1 cup rice and we have used this every day 3/4 cup twice a day and always at the same time. 7am and 6 pm with a shot 16 minutes after she eats. So, there were a few times I forgot or my wife thought I did and I thought she did, but neither gave the shot. That was not a big problem. Her sugar level with out the shot, 5 hours later and no shot was still only 125, so We waited till next day and before the food, she was still only 130. I gave her 3 united 1/2 hour after her food and everything went fine. But then a few days later before the food she was 120, 10 min later a shot of 3 units and we had a 27 level 1 hour after the food and shot. So now, what to do 120 at food in the past, meant we could give her a shot. Now this. She has cushing decease I may add and take a thyroid pill too. This is very difficult. her normal weight was 21 pounds for years. with this condition she went to 32. Now since diabetic, limited food and no treats, she is back to 23 pounds. I am thinking of no shot and test her. If she goes back over 200, give her a small dose and see. She is not the normal case. We live in Florida 6 months and Pa for 6 months. We will be leaving for Pa in a week and maybe the other vet has some ideas. I am thinking her 700 reading and higher glucose was a side effect of the cushing decease or meds. And maybe she should be checked before every feeding and if over 200, give her a shot. The times she has seizures is scary and we are lucky we are at home. My wife is affraid to leave the dog alone. Anyone with this experience have and ideas? The vet in Florida wants her between 90 and 120. I am thinking 150 to 200 would be fine for our dog. To low is just a horrible feeling and could be fatal.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:00 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2001 View Post
Well welcome to Diabetic dogs. Our mini 15 year old poodle started insulin about 2 to 3 months ago. Her sugar was 700 plus. We left her at the vets for 24 hours so they could regulate her. We got her back and was giving her 7 units and she was going from 300 to 500. The vet said to keep her at 7 units for a few days till she gets stable. She got in the upper 100's in about a week. The it started dropping to 60 and the vet started to take away the insulin, first 6, then 5. for a few more weeks, she held at 100. the the crashes started 41, then back up to normal, then 50, never knowing what each shot was going to bring. We had her a 4 units twice a day for another few weeks and again, she was going in the 50. So I started to give her 3 units for a few days now. We checked her at food time and if it was about 120 and she ate, 15 min later I would give her shot. Now yesterday, she was 120 at food time, I gave her 3 units and she dropped to 27.. Scare was not the words. Each time she dropped below 50 she would have seizurs and we kept the honey around. Anyway, I have no clue why her levels go up and down so fast sometimes. We make her food, chicken breast, brown rice, and mixed veggies. We use a blender, and 2 cups chicken, 1 cup veg, 1 cup rice and we have used this every day 3/4 cup twice a day and always at the same time. 7am and 6 pm with a shot 16 minutes after she eats. So, there were a few times I forgot or my wife thought I did and I thought she did, but neither gave the shot. That was not a big problem. Her sugar level with out the shot, 5 hours later and no shot was still only 125, so We waited till next day and before the food, she was still only 130. I gave her 3 united 1/2 hour after her food and everything went fine. But then a few days later before the food she was 120, 10 min later a shot of 3 units and we had a 27 level 1 hour after the food and shot. So now, what to do 120 at food in the past, meant we could give her a shot. Now this. She has cushing decease I may add and take a thyroid pill too. This is very difficult. her normal weight was 21 pounds for years. with this condition she went to 32. Now since diabetic, limited food and no treats, she is back to 23 pounds. I am thinking of no shot and test her. If she goes back over 200, give her a small dose and see. She is not the normal case. We live in Florida 6 months and Pa for 6 months. We will be leaving for Pa in a week and maybe the other vet has some ideas. I am thinking her 700 reading and higher glucose was a side effect of the cushing decease or meds. And maybe she should be checked before every feeding and if over 200, give her a shot. The times she has seizures is scary and we are lucky we are at home. My wife is affraid to leave the dog alone. Anyone with this experience have and ideas? The vet in Florida wants her between 90 and 120. I am thinking 150 to 200 would be fine for our dog. To low is just a horrible feeling and could be fatal.
First paragraphs make the post much easier to read.

If your vet wants her levels between 90 and 120 I would NOT assume 150 to 200 would be fine. Please don't tinker with the insulin levels and shot schedules yourself. If her blood sugar is too high it can cause damage to her kidneys and other things. The key to limiting the damage diabetes can cause is to keep the blood sugar at an even level. If you don't think the vet is treating her appropriately, please go to another vet and get their input. You may do more harm than good attempting to tweak things yourself especially since she's an older dog with another health issue.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:06 PM

I did call my vet back in Pennsylvania, he said to check her before she eats, and lower the insulin to 2. He said to try to keep her under 200 until we get back home. He said to low can kill her right away. 27 was to low and it happened 2 times in a week. He said 200 give or take will be fine for short term until we get back home in 2 weeks. He will evaluate her then. I have been trying to tell the vet here in Florida that it was to low. I like the answer I got from my regular vet back home. Have you ever seen 27, it is scary. I saw 37,27,40, 44 all in the last few weeks. The cushings makes it hard I guess. The vet here in Florida said she never treated cushing and diabetic. The dog with no shot for 24 hours was 177 today. I fed her and gave her 2 like the vet at home said. She was 110 6 hours later.. Imagine if I still gave the 4 units the vet here wanted. The funny thing is, the vet here in Fl called back today too, said to give her the regular 4 units and call them in the morning to let them know. I got on here to ask if anyone has ever had this problem. The vets know more than Me thats for sure, but I am the one trying to save the dog when it goes so low.. Happy for the moment. I will let you know what the vet in PA finds out. I guess the story goes, if you dont feel like its right, get another opinion. No one is perfect. All doctors have their opinions and no doubt they try very hard to do whats right. We are hoping for the best now.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Oddly enough there are quite a few dogs on the K9 diabetes forum (google it) who have had both diabetes and Cushings. It's becoming more well known that if you have one auto-immune disease, the chances are higher that you will have another. This is true for both humans and dogs.

Best of luck to you and your dog.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,302 times
My dog is on insulin twice a day and is also still peeing excessively at night and drinking more water than she did before she began the insulin treatments. Does anyone have a suggestion on what could cause this?

Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 PM

Update on Faith. For some unknown reason, she is doing fine. He sugar levels are running about 110 and up to 150 a few hours after she eats. We do not give her Insulin anymore and we follow up with the vet. Her weight loss has stopped, she lost about 10 pounds, and we still feed her boiled chicken, vegetables and brown rice. The vet also gave us a vitamin. As far as Schultsy, Do you check her glucose levels. You have to get them down below 200, 100 is a better target. Are her eyes bloodshot? Honest, when we got our god under control with Insulin, we have no problems with water or pee. Check the glucose levels until regulated. I am not a vet but wish you luck.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
I have had the same problem with my boy. I have finally given in to putting a diaper on him just at night. He sleeps like a baby, and so do I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs