Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,988,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkelly07 View Post
my 11yr old min pin has started drinking alot of water and peeing alot. so i took her to the vet yesterday and now we know she has diabetes and cushings. She now has to have 2 shots a day of insulin. I was wondering if anybody knew of a natural treatment or aid in both the diebetes and the cushings. They also changed her diet to the Royal Canin Diabetic HF 18 food ( expensive) and said not treats . This is all new to me so I wonder if anybody can give me some tips to help her be has healthy and happy as can be with this now.
Please join this forum for canine diabetes, the people there do have pets with both diabetes and cushings, the help and support is there you will feel much better after joining, promise.

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum - Powered by vBulletin

You can post your dogs info such as weight, breed, units of insulin you use, you don't need to feed Royal Canin forever, I started out with the diabetic food but working with pet owners who have had hands on experience with canine diabetes can help you with foods, I know how expensive that food is, thats a shame they charge that much.

Their sister site is k9cushings and they will be more than happy to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:02 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,468,225 times
My diabetic old girl (came to me last July with her insulin at 11u twice a day and was stable) was seen last week for increased drinking and accidents (although she usually gulps a couple of bowls of water a day). I had to get a urine spec, and had visions of chasing her around the yard with a urine cup. However, She takes a long pee in the morning right next to the deck, so I slipped an old plastic ice cube tray under her and got a good spec.*Vet said she was spilling a lot of sugar. She didn't have to be fasting for the blood work. Everything was normal except for a very high calcium, which he said is rare and is usually only related to cancer. She's going back in next week to redraw the blood. She is having almost no accidents and I think the increased insulin is working (she weighs 43 pounds). Oh, and a couple of other symptoms- the last two days before seeing the vet, she threw up some undigested food and some of the water- I assumed gulping the water made her sick, but the vet said the high sugar could do it. She also didn't finish her dish the morning we went to the vet. And my little terrier mix (SQUICK ALERT) was drinking her puddles of urine, as they must have tasted sweet.
Leah seems much better today. She went to the vet Friday.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,054 times
hi i have a dog she is 13 and a daschund. she started peeing all over and drinking lots of water. took her in and she indeed had a sugar levels off the charts. so he told us to put her on insulin 2 units twice a day and increse until she stops drinking so much and also gave her antibiotic because she had a bladder infection due to the diabetes. So finally im at 27 units and she still drinking tons but the peeing stopped for a little while then just came back out of no where. I got a little concerned and took her back in and her blood sugar was way too low so they told us to drop to 20 units and then have me more antibiotics at a higher dose than before thinking that might be why she still peeing on the floor. Well now im in the middle of a bg curve myslef because they want 200 to do it and i can do just as well as them and wont cost me a fortune. Anyway she seems to be pretty under control with a blood sugar around the 130s so not bad. But im also not done with the curve. Anyway i gave her all the antibiotics and she still drinkig like crazy and peeing on the floor. Anyone have this problem? I think it might be the dog door too small and uncomfortable to get in and out of but that dont explain the drinking. I cant affor to keep taking her to vet. I also had to take another dog two week earlier and that cost me 250 and then this one cost me 350 so far not including the meds. Im going broke and found out my pug needs her teeth cleaned so bad that when she was getting her check up the tech grabbed a tooth and pulled it right out. I cried and felt so bad. That they said will cost me 700. Im loosing my mind. The costs are crazy for vet care. if anyone can help i would be grateful.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,383 times
My dog is 12 years old and experiencing the same thing. Coincidentally she ate orijen and got sick when they just changed their formulas recently. She has been on that food for years with no problems before this. I am not lamint the food but mayne the new ingredients or hithnprotein is a problem. Her water consumption has increased greatly and she is wetting at night also. She is not urinatinf it is incontinence and it is so much that it soaks a towel and so anyone not watching would assume she is urinating. Her incontinence has always been controlled with a small amount of proin and has never been a problem until now. I see it start to come out and she jumps up and tries to cleanit up right away off the hardwood floors. At night, however, she does not even know it is coming out when she is asleep. It has been a real problem. The is a another rare for of diabetes called wear diabetes that she is being tested for. I am sharing this with everyone bc if your dog has this and you take away their ability to drink water when they need it they can die. I would not take the wat away and rate them. She now wears diapers at night until we can get things figured out and back under control.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 15,383 times
When I read my post I see that my ipad had changed some of the words. I was saying there is another rare form of diabetes called water diabetes. If a pet owner limits water a dog with this type of diabetes can die so its a good idea to talk to your bet before limiting water intake.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,656 times
My little bichon-poo is 7 years old. She has diabetes and i give 2 shots a day of the caninsulin , 8 units each time. She now eats diabetic diet food and weights 15 lb. 2months later, yesterday she did a blood test and i got a call from the doctor today saying the glucose is really low, and i should stop giving her the insulin. and he said this is not normal. any ideas?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,302 times
If your dog has diabetes he needs to eat only WD low glucose dog food. It is prescription food. The only food they can eat. And of course, low fat treats. Your Vet should know this.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 AM

8,116 posts, read 12,849,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Update: Vet just left and Scarlett (my dog) glucose was up to 406 again. Not really understanding why, but vet thinks it is because now she is eating her dry dog food (since we changed it recently because she wouldn't eat much of it before) and dry food contains more carbohydrates than wet food, and due to less activity because it is so hot outside (she stays indoors most of the day) that it just was out of whack. It is frustrating, because the week before it was low 100s. I hope that it will be better.. at least I know.
I have a diabetic. I feed him DCO Dual Fiber Control® Canine Formula | Purina Veterinary Diets

This food is high in fiber and is made for diabetic dogs. It's expensive but it is worth it.

"Moe" will not eat this stuff dry. What I do is cook chicken breasts, broccoli, cualifolwer, green beans with low sodium chicken broth. I put a small amount of this wet food mixed in with the DCO and he eats it all up.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 13,762 times
I want to first thank all of you who have previously posted. What a comfort and a help to read all your posts!! My 8 yr old Malti-pooh was diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago. She is doing pretty good, but is up and down with the amount of water she drinks/pees? She is breathing a touch too fast today to be "normal" range I think. Should I be doing something in particular because of it? She gets her second Ins. shot tonight. Has not had a Bg curve done again/yet since diagnosis.. probably next week. Should I walk her in the meantime to see if she'll come down a bit, or is it ok that her respiration are a little high? Thanks, Ing.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 13,762 times
Default Just read this. How is she doing and did they diagnose her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddecker501 View Post
My dog is 12 years old and experiencing the same thing. Coincidentally she ate orijen and got sick when they just changed their formulas recently. She has been on that food for years with no problems before this. I am not lamint the food but mayne the new ingredients or hithnprotein is a problem. Her water consumption has increased greatly and she is wetting at night also. She is not urinatinf it is incontinence and it is so much that it soaks a towel and so anyone not watching would assume she is urinating. Her incontinence has always been controlled with a small amount of proin and has never been a problem until now. I see it start to come out and she jumps up and tries to cleanit up right away off the hardwood floors. At night, however, she does not even know it is coming out when she is asleep. It has been a real problem. The is a another rare for of diabetes called wear diabetes that she is being tested for. I am sharing this with everyone bc if your dog has this and you take away their ability to drink water when they need it they can die. I would not take the wat away and rate them. She now wears diapers at night until we can get things figured out and back under control.
I just read your post and am curious if they made their diagnosis? And how is she doing now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs