Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 977 times

Advertisements

Hi
My dog is 10yrs old and just got diagnosed with diabetes 
He is taking 10 units twice a day.
He has always been a grazer with his food so it's tough to get him to eat all he's food at once. I mix his dog food and some white rice it seems to work. But some days he's good and some days he's sluggish. He can't go long without having to go pee durning the day. What's the best way to make him last longer durning the day while we r working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol coffey View Post
Hi
My dog is 10yrs old and just got diagnosed with diabetes 
He is taking 10 units twice a day.
He has always been a grazer with his food so it's tough to get him to eat all he's food at once. I mix his dog food and some white rice it seems to work. But some days he's good and some days he's sluggish. He can't go long without having to go pee durning the day. What's the best way to make him last longer durning the day while we r working.
He's old, he may not be able to hold it all day any more. Peeing more frequently is common in old dogs. It may have nothing to do with his diabetes.

Put down puppy pee pads or hire a dog walker.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 935 times
Newly diagnosed Black lab/shep mix 10 years old (3 days ago) She's 87 lbs and started on 10 units twice a day. She continues to "leak" small amounts of urine. Changing treat intake. Vet won't have stock if diabetic food until 3 days from now. Doing "curve" aug 9th. Hope the insulin starts to work a bit and helps with the l leakage. Looking for low carb dry food to mix with diabetic canned vet supplied food to help with cost. Very frustrating

Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I never fed the prescription stuff to my dogs. I used regular "low glycemic" brands (wellness and merrick). I believe both were better quality than the prescription stuff.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 753 times
My 7 year old Goldendoodle has recently been diagnosed with canine diabetes, as well as Cushings disease, and is getting insulin shots every twelve hours. My concern is that she just does not seem to feel good at all. I have rigorously followed all instructions for her care and she just doesn't seem to be getting any better. She is once again peeing on the floor during the nite, as well as drinking massive amounts of water. She never goes inside the house, as she is very well trained. looks like she is losing control of it because the urine will be all over the side and bottom of the back legs, like it happens while she is still sleeping and suddenly wakes up. My heart breaks for her each time. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Advice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs