Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:07 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,497,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plw1119 View Post
I just read a story online about a pitt bull raping a toddler in New York. I have never heard of anything like this ever happening in my entire life and I did not even know it was possible and hope that the authorities take a look at family members of the child. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I think that this is a very sad and unfortunate thing to have happened and my prayers are with the little boy and his family.

WIVB TV4 Buffalo, Niagara Falls, New York News and Weather - Bizarre and Disturbing Dog Attack
I hope they put down the pit bull right away, Its a breed we don't need .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 03:47 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,278,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Now Junkman, we don't even know what happened, for Pete's sake....you wouldn't be yelling if it was a toy fru-fru dog. Back off and let the facts be heard.....this is too bizarre, dogs have to be taught sex with humans...good grief. Talk about a knee jerk reaction. The child didn't have a mark on him? Don't you find that unusual?

Let it go......this was 4 days ago, where is the follow up?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,234 times
Angry You can't really be serious! That's unbelievably sad!

Quote:
Would you be saying that if it was a lab, a golden, a beagle, a poodle, etc?? I seriously doubt it!.. What do you mean it's a breed we don't need?? "Pit bull" isn't a breed. "Pit bull" is a term used to group three breeds (and any dog that looks like one of these three breeds in anyway).. American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Now, as I have said many, many times before, my husband and I own two APBTs. APBTs are one of the most stable, people-friendly breeds in existence. For hundreds of years "pit bulls" have been bred to have a human friendly disposition and an overwhelming sense of need to please their owners. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and APBTs placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate! They are wonderful with children! They are way more tolerant than most other popular family breeds such as Golden Retrievers and Beagles and are the perfect breed to deal with the rough and tumble play a child can dish out. They are even known as nanny dogs for their love and dependability with children! As I have already said, they are very people-friendly dogs and because of that, they don't tend to make very good watch/ guard dogs.Though they do have an uncanny ability to know when someone or something is a threat or not! "Pit Bulls" are currently used and suitable for all types of service work including drug detection, emergency rescue, service and therapy work, military service, and much more.The American Pit Bull Terrier is additionally one of the most intelligent and easy to train breed of dogs. The trainer of the show dog Lassie has even remarked on how the APBT is his choice of breed for training. They are unique, smart, easy to train, sweet, loyal, loving, gentle, obedient, devoted, tolerant and funny! They are almost human like in their emotions and expressions! These days alot of people choose to believe all of the crazy myths they have heard about "pit bulls" over the facts! Like any breed of dog, a healthy "pit bull" that is properly raised will remain loving and friendly. In the past 20 years, we have seen some sad examples of poorly bred and badly treated dogs that are by products of irresponsible "backyard breeders" and cruel and abusive homes. These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far removed from the traditional authentic "pit bulls." Do not confuse these unfortunate misbreds with the HUGE majority of well-loved "pit bulls" in this country that remain solid in temperament, affectionate, trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.

Another thing.. Why would you want a dog that has never shown any signs of aggression to be put down for no reason? That sounds pretty cold and heartless to me. It's so sad how these wonderful dogs always get treated like monsters! That poor dog will not get put to sleep, but the disturbed mother f***er that raped that poor child will hopefully get put in jail so he can't hurt any more innocent children! You should really think about what you said.. Are you really that close minded and cold? You want a child rapist to go free and an innocent dog that has never shown any signs of aggression to be put to sleep?! Wow! So sad.. so sad.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,497,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Would you be saying that if it was a lab, a golden, a beagle, a poodle, etc?? I seriously doubt it!.. What do you mean it's a breed we don't need?? "Pit bull" isn't a breed. "Pit bull" is a term used to group three breeds (and any dog that looks like one of these three breeds in anyway).. American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Now, as I have said many, many times before, my husband and I own two APBTs. APBTs are one of the most stable, people-friendly breeds in existence. For hundreds of years "pit bulls" have been bred to have a human friendly disposition and an overwhelming sense of need to please their owners. The National Canine Temperament Testing Association tested 122 breeds, and APBTs placed the 4th highest with a 95% passing rate! They are wonderful with children! They are way more tolerant than most other popular family breeds such as Golden Retrievers and Beagles and are the perfect breed to deal with the rough and tumble play a child can dish out. They are even known as nanny dogs for their love and dependability with children! As I have already said, they are very people-friendly dogs and because of that, they don't tend to make very good watch/ guard dogs.Though they do have an uncanny ability to know when someone or something is a threat or not! "Pit Bulls" are currently used and suitable for all types of service work including drug detection, emergency rescue, service and therapy work, military service, and much more.The American Pit Bull Terrier is additionally one of the most intelligent and easy to train breed of dogs. The trainer of the show dog Lassie has even remarked on how the APBT is his choice of breed for training. They are unique, smart, easy to train, sweet, loyal, loving, gentle, obedient, devoted, tolerant and funny! They are almost human like in their emotions and expressions! These days alot of people choose to believe all of the crazy myths they have heard about "pit bulls" over the facts! Like any breed of dog, a healthy "pit bull" that is properly raised will remain loving and friendly. In the past 20 years, we have seen some sad examples of poorly bred and badly treated dogs that are by products of irresponsible "backyard breeders" and cruel and abusive homes. These improperly raised, unsocialized creatures can show temperaments far removed from the traditional authentic "pit bulls." Do not confuse these unfortunate misbreds with the HUGE majority of well-loved "pit bulls" in this country that remain solid in temperament, affectionate, trustworthy and friendly to their dying day.

Another thing.. Why would you want a dog that has never shown any signs of aggression to be put down for no reason? That sounds pretty cold and heartless to me. It's so sad how these wonderful dogs always get treated like monsters! That poor dog will not get put to sleep, but the disturbed mother f***er that raped that poor child will hopefully get put in jail so he can't hurt any more innocent children! You should really think about what you said.. Are you really that close minded and cold? You want a child rapist to go free and an innocent dog that has never shown any signs of aggression to be put to sleep?! Wow! So sad.. so sad.
WOW, You did all this just for me?

Their are so many good breeds of dogs. Why do we need these breeds that we know to hurt and even kill people? The UK is doing away with the pit bull breed maybe we can learn something from them.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:52 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
I am not buying into the rape story, something else going on there. I doubt if the toddler would hold still or not roll over and scream or something. Just doesnt wash. The kid would flatten out right away just from the dogs weight.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:28 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,910,135 times
^^^^EXACTLY^^^^....I am quite sure there will be more to this story of disgust....and I would suspect any adults in the house...and I use that term, lightly.

PitBullMommie, I give you SO much credit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You and I both know the ignorance that exists with people that can't see beyond the name "pit bull"...it's an ongoing battle and thanks to people like you that try to educate people on the positives.

And !YES! people there are more positives than negatives to the name
'pit bull!! ...so get over it already! ...or better yet, read up on the positives and educate yourselves.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
Quote:
Its a breed we don't need .
You are right, YOU should never have this breed.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,278,550 times
Quote:
WOW, You did all this just for me?

Their are so many good breeds of dogs. Why do we need these breeds that we know to hurt and even kill people? The UK is doing away with the pit bull breed maybe we can learn something from them.

We take our opportunities to educate wherever we can!

Some towns and counties in the U.S. are trying to "do away" with the so-called bully breeds as well....we call it "breed banning" and turn out in full force to oppose it. Matter of fact, I ran my Rottweiler that was rescued from a fighting ring in Texas right on up in the middle of a city council meeting not too long ago....by the end of the meeting everyone was petting this wonderful companion and commenting on what a sweet boy he is....same people who looked at me like I'd brought Satan to the meeting at first.

I will be the first to tell you that prior to about 6 or 7 years ago, I was TERRIFIED of PBT and Rotties based on reputation alone.....then I got to know some personally and they are just another dog now. It's a shame that the lower end of the populace has given us the fear stories...and also a shame that when a collie goes aggressive, no one hears a word about it. We're just fighting for civil rights for our dogs, to be considered no more and no less than any other breed. It will probably take us as many years as it did Afro-Americans to make a statement. Unfortunate, but closed minds are will stymie our efforts.

PBT and Rottweilers and other working dogs are NOT for everyone. Absolutely not. You have to have more than an ounce of sense and a strong constitution to get a dog that was bred to work or herd or whatever to be a great companion, and if they were bred to work, you gotta work them...but working can include being therapy dogs or being in competition or simply working on commands in the back yard. They are not dogs you just "own" and feed and shine on.....by virtue of their breed, they require a little more. The average Fido owner isn't going to be the right match for a working dog - and I ain't gonna be a good match for a chihuahua. To each his own, as long as the owner is responsible for making that dog the best it can be - and yes, that includes chihuahua owners....

I believe it's all in the leadership and pack order in the household. If you are the leader and the alpha and your dog has no confusion over who is in charge, you will have a great dog. If you slack off, you will have a hellion...and that goes for any breed.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:20 AM

525 posts, read 2,352,140 times
StinkyJournalism.com has a good (and interesting) article about this case at Pit Bull "Molested And Attacked" Toddler? -

Thankfully, it appears that there are SOME reasonable and intelligent people involved in this case. HOPEFULLY, the Mother's disappearing act and the fact that the story changes everytime it is told, will allow futher investigation to find the REAL criminal in this case. My bet is the criminal does NOT have four legs and a tail

I hope to god they dig deep enough to find the SOB that did this. AND that Bear is released for adoption and never has to find his way back to these scum and the poor boy is removed entirely.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
Quote:
The UK is doing away with the pit bull breed maybe we can learn something from them.
The UK is not trying to get rid of the breed. Certain backward thinking cities (like Denver) have done so, but its ok, I wouldnt live in a backward city anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs