Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dog adoption problems, mixed breed, kennel cough remedy, doesn’t socialize with other dogs at dog park, obedience class needed, alpha dog, dominance game, dog training options

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,983,425 times

Advertisements

My wife and I adopted our first dog, Sammy (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x16/skinlikewinter2001/DSCF0070.jpg - broken link), a 6 month old, 15 lbs. mix breed in late April.

After getting over a bout with kennel cough, we began taking him 3-5 times per week to the local dog park since he doesn't get to socialize with any other dogs. He always seemed to do really well there, or so I thought.

He'll run with many of the dogs, but he wants to mainly wrestle. Up until a day or so ago I thought that was just "his thing."

He always played borderline rough with another dog his size but that dog's owner and I just let them play because neither yelped or have been hurt. They run to each other every time they see one another.

Now that I've been paying closer attention and reflected on some of his actions, I think he has some dominance issues. The reason I say this is because he'll only want to wrestle with dogs that's he's stronger than and he usually just wants to pin them to the ground for a while. Granted, he's never hurt another dog, but this just seems like he's headed in the wrong direction. Additionally, he nips and most of the dogs' ears, ankles, legs, etc. I thought that he was just trying to goad them into playing, but sometimes he'll latch on to a dog with a thicker coat and shake like it's a stuffed toy.

So, CD folk, I'm looking for advice to curb this behavior. Attack me if you like, but I'm trying to remedy this situation. Instead of just taking him away from it, I'd like to correct it.

Like I said, I noticed this a couple of days ago, so yesterday and today when he was getting dominant I would put him in a submissive state to calm him down. It seems to work for a short while then he wants to be dominant again.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,174,611 times
He's awfully cute, and i can see mischievous sprakles in his eyes!!!

Well, i would start with NOT taking him to the park. Instead, take him to obedience class, that would be my first choice.
Park isn't doing him any good, probably just the opposite. He has no manners and he needs to learn them. He isn't going to learn it at the dog park.

Second, he needs to be socialized, take him everywhere you go, meet other people, pet stores, public place, etc.

Third, you need to establish a routine at home, for you and your wife to do things with him the same way. Both of you need to become "alphas" not the dog. Dog will test you for the rest of its life, as long as you let him.

Don't get frustrated with dog, just walk away from unwanted behavior. Praise everything he does right.

As far as dominance to other dogs, well, that is nothing you should do about it. He's a dog, he feels he's "above" other dogs, he's Alpha in this park. The only thing you need to worry about is him being dominant towards humans.

So, no more parks until you and him will come to complete understanding, he's your dog and you are his master.

Good luck!

Does he have a crate?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,474,514 times
Sounds like a typical day in my living room .

Some dogs are into the dominance game more than others (and he looks like he might have a bit of terrier in him, so that could explain things).

Dominance is a natural part of dogginess, so I don't know that you can eliminate it.

Sammy looks like he's neutered? Any idea how old he was when that was done?

At some point, a bigger dog is going to dominate Sammy, and that might be the greatest lesson if all for him.

The latching on and shaking the other dogs though would be where my concern is. One of my dogs started doing this when she matured and that was the end of our dog park days.

I'd try to still find a way to let him play with another dog in a safe setting and just be sure to break it up when it starts getting heated - show Sammy where the boundaries are .

In my living room, all kid of dominance games go on . When I feel the energy level is getting too high and someone is soon going to be "insulted", I break them up. They understand my command "Stop!" and they break apart, though at times I have to physically push them apart too. Then they take a break for a minute or so, cool down a bit, then go back to playing at a lower energy level....it works!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,216,899 times
I agree with Riv.. mine do the same thing outside with each other. They will run and chase each other and at times get one down and nip but not bite. Mia, one of the smallest ones, will grab hold of one of the bigger dogs neck to play. If they start getting too rough I break it up. Ironically even when Skeeter the alpha female of the pack appears to be putting one in his place, there is never any blood or bite marks. Just a lot of noise.

Weird thing is the biggest is usually the first one down, when they all are playing.

I would also take him to an obedience class. Just to learn some manners.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,934 times
Oh, gosh, Sammie reminds me so much of my dog!!! As the trainer said of my pup: 'they don't come more more dominant than that'. (This is when I was having "issues" with him, and didn't know what to do). But what a doll Sammie looks to be. I love sweet dogs who are a challenge! He truly looks like a sweetheart.

One thing I learned in going to training with my pup, is that the ears back, and whites of the eyes showing is not a good thing --- Sammie is mighty displeased to be placed up on a table, like he's some kind of little dog, or something!

I completely agree with the other posters. Excellent advice from people who are experienced enough with dogs to know. There's not much else to add, other than training, training, and more training - both for you and sweet Sammie. Training is a blast~

As an aside, when I first took my Wolfgang to training, I would laugh at his dominant traits. Trainer said to me once - would that be so funny if he was a Doberman? Sobered me up in a hurry!

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 07-04-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-04-2008, 09:53 PM

Default some responses

Thanks to everyone that complimented Sammy on his handsomeness. He was listed as a chihuahua mix from the shelter. Any idea as to what else he might be? I thought maybe a terrier, but I'm not really good with dog breeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Second, he needs to be socialized, take him everywhere you go, meet other people, pet stores, public place, etc.
He's quite social; it's the dominance/rough play that I'm having problems with.

Quote:
The only thing you need to worry about is him being dominant towards humans.
He's never had any problems with humans at all.

Quote:
Does he have a crate?
Yeah, he sleeps there every night. Up until recently he would actually go to in willingly. Now, I kind of have to force him in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Sammy looks like he's neutered? Any idea how old he was when that was done?
The local shelter requires it before you can adopt, so he had it done when I picked him up, which he was 4-6 months old.

Quote:
At some point, a bigger dog is going to dominate Sammy, and that might be the greatest lesson if all for him.
This is the same advice my brother gave me today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
One thing I learned in going to training with my pup, is that the ears back, and whites of the eyes showing is not a good thing
Really, he usually throws lays his ears down when he's excited to see us.

Quote:
--- Sammie is mighty displeased to be placed up on a table, like he's some kind of little dog, or something!
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The guy jumps up there like a cat. I didn't even put him up there.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in tn View Post
thanks to everyone that complimented sammy on his handsomeness. He was listed as a chihuahua mix from the shelter. Any idea as to what else he might be? I thought maybe a terrier, but i'm not really good with dog breeds. that's what first struck me, i thought he look like a terrier mix. (?)

really, he usually throws lays his ears down when he's excited to see us. yup, truly!!!!:d (of course, i was assuming you put him up on the table!) ~ lays his ears back when he's excited? Of course, a lot of dogs do, in my experience!

i'm going to have to disagree with you here. The guy jumps up there like a cat. I didn't even put him up there. well, pardon me, sammy! I didn't realize you were such an athlete!! :d:d

post pics when he grows up, too!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,446,545 times
Hey! I lived in the "Boro" for many many yrs. Were did they put a dog park?? Kinda off the subject but just saw where you were located!!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Hey! I lived in the "Boro" for many many yrs. Were did they put a dog park?? Kinda off the subject but just saw where you were located!!
It's along the Stones River Greenway, near the General Bragg trailhead, off of W. College. It's a really nice place, especially when my mutt isn't trying to dominate other dogs.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,374 times
That's how all the puppies I have and have had play with eachother. It's normal play behavior. If you watch closely I'm sure not only is he pinning the other dog but he probably gets pinned once in a while also. As long as they aren't hurting eachother it's just play...they never out grow this although they do slow down in a few years. Even if they play bite one another as long as there is no yelping it's fine. Usually if one of the dogs does yelp they make up quick and it actually teaches the other not to bite so hard. I have 14 dogs at my house now and believe me even though they range in age from babies to seniors all of them engage in this behavior somewhat. Good luck with your cutie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs