Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times

Advertisements

Using 'Dominance' To Explain Dog Behavior Is Old Hat
Using 'Dominance' To Explain Dog Behavior Is Old Hat

ScienceDaily (May 25, 2009) — A new study shows how the behaviour of dogs has been misunderstood for generations: in fact using misplaced ideas about dog behaviour and training is likely to cause rather than cure unwanted behaviour. The findings challenge many of the dominance related interpretations of behaviour and training techniques suggested by current TV dog trainers.

Mod cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Viralmd; 08-19-2009 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,593,717 times
I have never supported the dominance training . Example the concept of the alpha roll is so flawed and I bet is one of the reasons dog bites have increased. A dominate wolf does not throw down the wolf like so many people think .The alpa roll is based on that belief. Instead the subordinate wolf submits and it rolls over on its own to show this. To me that is a huge difference. Throwing a dog down in an alpha roll just leads to more anxiety in the dog. I think Positve training works better in the long run then dominance based training.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,122,327 times
Thanks for the link Groar - I totally agree with it. Great post Dashdog. I believe dogs want nothing more than to please their owners - teaching, rewarding good behavior(s) and positive reinforcement is key to having a well adjusted/behaved pet. IMHO, a dog is only as good as its owner.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,667,028 times
Well having raised 7 dogs myself, I disagree with you. Mostly, I have had multiple big dogs at one time and I leave the pack politics up to the dogs, however, I am always in charge of them.
I don't use any over the top domination towards them or punishment beyond a water squirt bottle when they are young. I just withhold my love when they misbehave. There is nothing more painful for a dog that loves your than to turn you back on them.
Once they get past two years old, they figure it out really fast and become eager to please you. Lots of praise for good behavior seals the deal.
After that a word in a certain voice is enough to control the situation.
No matter what method you choose, if you do not have respect from your pet, you will not be able to bring them up properly. I truly believe that they are more comfortable when you are in charge, but sometimes they just like to test the waters, just like your children.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Well having raised 7 dogs myself, I disagree with you. Mostly, I have had multiple big dogs at one time and I leave the pack politics up to the dogs, however, I am always in charge of them.
I don't use any over the top domination towards them or punishment beyond a water squirt bottle when they are young. I just withhold my love when they misbehave. There is nothing more painful for a dog that loves your than to turn you back on them.
Once they get past two years old, they figure it out really fast and become eager to please you. Lots of praise for good behavior seals the deal.
No matter what method you choose, if you do not have respect from your pet, you will not be able to bring them up properly. I truly believe that they are more comfortable when you are in charge, but sometimes they just like to test the waters, just like your children.
So you're willing to inflict negative stimuli on your dogs for TWO YEARS? You'd get better results with positive training.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,980,520 times
Quote:
Actually, this sounds a lot like positive reinforcement training to me. The one 'punishment' technique sea lion, dolphin and other positive reinforcement trainers use is time-outs.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
yeah, denial of attention is a classic technique for positive trainers.

there are 4 kinds of operant training techniques -

positive reinforcement = good thing begins when they do something right (they get a treat)
negative punishment = good thing ends when they do something wrong (you turn your back on them)
negative reinforcement = bad thing ends when they do something right (you pinch their ear til they drop a ball)
positive punishment = bad thing begins when they do something wrong (you jerk their collar when they pull on the leash)

as funny as it sounds, positive training uses positive reinforcement and negative punishment. your denial of attention/love to your dogs when they misbehave is negative punishment.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 AM

269 posts, read 1,055,148 times
Thanks groar for listing the four kinds of techniques. I think people think there are only 2! And thanks for the article too.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,672 times
I think Victoria Stillwell represents the best of the lot. She uses denial of attention--and reward--the owner who incorporates her techniques becomes the leader by default--a loving and beloved leader.
Not to say other methods don't get results but why not use the most humane, most likely to reinforce the bond, most efficient, safest, and most pet-friendly system?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 AM

557 posts, read 2,611,707 times
Quote:
I agree with Yukiko on the importance of establishing oneself as pack leader in the mind of the dog. By nature, dogs, wild and domestic, need pack order and if the human owner faills to assume the leadership role, the dog (many, perhaps not all), will try to assume the position of pack leaders and be less likely to follow commands. From my experience, this is especially true of certain breeds which require more structure. I have mixed thoughts on variations of the alpha roll--but I did do it once when my dog chased after one of our chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs