Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times

Advertisements

I wonder why we can't apply the same principles to human beings...the way we force them to live through nasty and debilitating infirmities...it's sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I wonder why we can't apply the same principles to human beings...the way we force them to live through nasty and debilitating infirmities...it's sick.
This same thought occurs to me almost every day -- and certainly every day that I think of my grandparents, who both suffered and died from Alzheimer's disease. It's shameful what we have to make them suffer through.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
honestly, given what the op states abotu the dog being unable to stand up long to eat, not being able to switch sides without assistance, and knowing how painfull having degrading hips are id say the dog is actually borderline suffering right now.

sure the physical pain may not be excrutiating, but im sure the mental anguish of not even being able to stand to eat, not feeling steady on your feet and not being able to even change sides has got to be horrible for an animal whos entire being is based on instinct.

i would deifnatly try and give steroids a go, see if it eases anything, but honestly, given age and how far gone this sonds to be, id simply sit your son down (at 18 he is old enough to realy look at this dog and see that hes not the happy dog he once was, and that hes starting to go down hill) and tell him you feel he is starting to suffer, and youd like to make his last days the best possible by not letting him get so bad that his last few days are filled with pain and anquish.

putting a life long companion to sleep is hard for anyone, but i think being upfront and honest with him now, and being sure your putting the dog first would be best for everyone.

i would personally also offer to give your son some of the ashes if you decide to cremate the dog so that he can keep a part of him, if he wishes of course. and be sure to let your son know hes welcome to be there that day if he wants to be.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Thanks, everyone.

He has good days and bad days. In the past, he would bounce right back within a few days.

Sometimes it looks like he's heading in that direction--where he might be perfectly fine.

But we're definitely in a phase now that is very unstable and could deteriorate permanently.

I'm definitely going to give steroids a try. I also read that the vets teach physical therapy.

I'm hoping we see significant improvement. If not, I know what needs to be done.

I appreciate everyone's advice on how to help the adult children deal with it.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope he improves.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,677 times
While I cannot give advice on choosing (or not) the time, I can say that my parents put down my dog while I was in college and did not tell me ...... for months ......I was devestated and eventually got over it but we were always straight up with our own kids.

when the time comes, if you can get a vet to come to your house that would be ideal. I even wish there was a service that did that because it is hard to find and many dogs are stressed about that trip to the vet.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,064,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks, everyone.

He has good days and bad days. In the past, he would bounce right back within a few days.

Sometimes it looks like he's heading in that direction--where he might be perfectly fine.

But we're definitely in a phase now that is very unstable and could deteriorate permanently.

I'm definitely going to give steroids a try. I also read that the vets teach physical therapy.

I'm hoping we see significant improvement. If not, I know what needs to be done.

I appreciate everyone's advice on how to help the adult children deal with it.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope he improves.
Sigh...

Such a tough situation. I'm not looking forward to this when it's "our" time (mine and Artie's, I mean).

I'm hoping that your boy improves greatly. Big hugs to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs