Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

How do you get adult children to understand this? The lab is 14. My son is 18. This dog has been in his life since he was 4 years old. My son is fine with putting a dog to sleep that is suffering. He doesn't understand the "preemptive strike" concept.

I'm a little surprised my husband is okay with putting the labrador to sleep in January if it becomes necessary. My son doesn't really understand the concept of choosing a date and giving the dog a happy day doing his most favorite dog activities.

The dog is very old. He's been hanging on for a couple of years. Now that his hip dysplasia is so bad, we're concerned he's going to break a bone because he falls multiple times a day. We really don't want to wait until he has broken a leg or hip before we have him put to sleep.

Any ideas on how to make this easier on our adult children? Should I just do it without telling them? That's how my mom always handled it. But I would think they would regret not getting to say goodbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:57 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Hopes, I would never ever do it without telling anyone. We've had to euthanize a dog and a cat over the years. My kids were young (elem school and middle school?)....We were honest and told them that sometimes it's the kindest thing...that being in constant pain and in danger of hurting themselves further, without even the hope of ever getting better is no way to live. I gave my kids the choice of whether they wanted to accompany me (because I would also never let a pet pass without me holding them until the end....).

Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hopes, I would never ever do it without telling anyone. We've had to euthanize a dog and a cat over the years. My kids were young (elem school and middle school?)....We were honest and told them that sometimes it's the kindest thing...that being in constant pain and in danger of hurting themselves further, without even the hope of ever getting better is no way to live. I gave my kids the choice of whether they wanted to accompany me (because I would also never let a pet pass without me holding them until the end....).
My gut was that it's not a good idea to keep it a secret. I got over my mother doing what she did, but I always regretted not getting to say goodbye. Don't worry, I will be by his side when he's put to sleep. I put my 22 year old peek-a-poo to sleep when I was 27 years old. (Yep, she had been in my life since I was 7.) I went in with her and held her. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I guess I just need to make the decision and inform them this is the decision, you can come if you like. The problem is that my son will debate me. He feels he has a say since the lab has been "his" dog since he was 4.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My gut was that it's not a good idea to keep it a secret. I got over my mother doing what she did, but I always regretted not getting to say goodbye. Don't worry, I will be by his side when he's put to sleep. I put my 22 year old peek-a-poo to sleep when I was 27 years old. (Yep, she had been in my life since I was 7.) I went in with her and held her. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I guess I just need to make the decision and inform them this is the decision, you can come if you like. The problem is that my son will debate me. He feels he has a say since the lab has been "his" dog since he was 4.
How about having your son talk to your vet???

Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I didn't tell my son; he was only in Kindergarden at the time. I still think he has not forgiven me.

Here's what my parents did ~ they told me Sparky ran away!! They let me go out night after night, calling for him, banging my spoon on his bowl (that usually got him in) until finally they could stand it no longer.

Don't do that!

I think you have to tell him before you do it and give him the chance to say good-bye. He's still young at 18 and it is going to be hard for him.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 PM

I'm sorry your parents did that to you. I wasn't as traumatized by my mother telling us after-the-fact.

I can't imagine what it would be like thinking my dog just ran off. I would have been worried sick.

It's definitely easier to accept death than imagining that your dog is out there, lost.

Well, I've already had conversations with him about it. I'm just going to wait until the day before it's scheduled and tell him.

I think saying goodbye is important.

The dog is doing worse today. I was hoping we could make it until mid-January to prevent associating holidays with the death of a dog.

We have to help him walk. I supported his back end while he ate because his back legs were slowly spreading into a split.

I'm taking him to a new vet next week to see if there is anything we can do to improve his mobility.

I'm hoping the vet gives him steroids. I know steroids are dangerous, but he's old and in his last days so what harm can it do?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
"Preemptive strike"???!!!!!

This is very, very sad for you and your family. I am so sorry about this time.

I just can't get behind the 'preemptive strike,' either...and I am 34.

My mother decided to do that with the dog I had since I was three (I was 16 when the 'preemptive strike' took place - kind of for the same reasons). I still haven't gotten over the guilt and anger. Typing this right now is making me tear up.

If you decide to do this, just understand that you may do what you think is best (and this is your perogative), but he may never understand or agree with it. You're just gonna have to learn to be ok with that.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
"Preemptive strike"???!!!!!

This is very, very sad for you and your family. I am so sorry about this time.

I just can't get behind the 'preemptive strike,' either...and I am 34.

My mother decided to do that with the dog I had since I was three (I was 16 when the 'preemptive strike' took place - kind of for the same reasons). I still haven't gotten over the guilt and anger. Typing this right now is making me tear up.

If you decide to do this, just understand that you may do what you think is best (and this is your perogative), but he may never understand or agree with it. You're just gonna have to learn to be ok with that.
I think by 'pre emptive strike"; she meant to avoid pain and suffering. Which, we all agree, is best for the dog when time is drawing near.

But, you are right, her son may never agree with it. However, it is not his call nor, thankfully, his responsibility. He will have to deal with euthanizing a pet one day, most likely, if he has pets of his own. Then, he will understand what agonizing decisions must be made somtimes.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, stan.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I just don't see the purpose in waiting until he breaks his hip or his leg.

He's a very large 14 year old lab with long legs. We won't be able to heal him. He will have to be put to sleep when he can't get around.

I'm thinking: why put him through that.

btw, I didn't use the words "preemptive strike" when talking to my children. I just used to in this thread because that's really what it is.

I'm hoping the new vet gives him steroids so he can get better mobility. I'm committed to caring for him. He's a great dog.

I just don't want to see him suffer more than he's suffering now.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My son is fine with putting a dog to sleep that is suffering. He doesn't understand the "preemptive strike" concept.
Does not sound like the dog is suffering yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs