Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:14 AM

727 posts, read 540,092 times

Advertisements

It is said that gentle way to show dogs wrong behaviour is ignore dog. Well... this cattle dog does not have read this book. When people turns their backs to this dog, this dog jump straight to legs and bite, bite, bite...

Same as if something is on hand or people are dinner table or anything. This cattle dog just growl, bark, jump, scratch and bite...

If people says something for the dog it jumps and start to bite face.

What kind of book owner should read next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

175 posts, read 750,213 times
My first guess is because the animal is a hearding dog, he is trying to herd you by nipping/biting at your legs.

How does the dog act with voice reprimands? A loud sharp ANT usually works for my dogs. I might also clap my hands or stomp my feet.

Biting at your face should never be tolerated (or biting period). You have to think if the dog did this to a bull, the bull would either head butt him into next week or kick him. My first instinct would be to push him back down to the floor. Not phyiscally throw him but use enough force to knock him back down to the floor.

Don't have any book suggestions at the moment but your looking for a way to train hearding dogs.

Also make sure he gets plenty of exercise and toys to play with. A tired dog is a good dog!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post
It is said that gentle way to show dogs wrong behaviour is ignore dog. Well... this cattle dog does not have read this book. When people turns their backs to this dog, this dog jump straight to legs and bite, bite, bite...

Same as if something is on hand or people are dinner table or anything. This cattle dog just growl, bark, jump, scratch and bite...

Normal herding behavior. Cattle dogs tend to be somewhat dominant and persistent (think what they do for a living!). When his behavior is unacceptable, correct him. You can try using a voice correction but will probably need to use leash corrections. When you are there to supervise keep him wearing a training collar (a pinch collar if you know how to properly use one, otherwise a "choke" collar will do). When he goes to jump or nip, give a quick pop of the lead (this is a loose, tight, loose movement of the lead). Correct him firmly enough that he knows you're serious. but ONLY just enough to do the job. A properly used training collar and lead is not cruel but lets the dog know he's done wrong. Once you correct him ask for a behavior you want and know he'll comply with. When he does, praise him.

Btw, herding dogs need a great deal of exercise and jobs to do or they will misbehave. Make sure he's getting at least an hour of hard exercise daily along with daily training sessions. Training can be one of his "jobs." Others can be anything you can teach him to do.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,283 times
I have a Corgi, and what I did with him was to spend time each day doing some OB work and teaching him tricks, although he's still young, almost 2, he is getting to where he listens a lot better as he is getting older. When he hasn't had enough exercise he starts acting up, so he gets taken for a long walk and then sometimes some ball chasing. I would also start doing some NILIF (nothing in life is free) It's a great way to show your dog that you are in charge.

As for jumping up at the dinner table when people are eating, I would make him stay outside the dinning area, give him his favorite toy or chew and praise for staying away from the table.

They are very smart dogs and lean rather quickly. It shouldn't take long for him to lean the rules. Lots of exercise is really the key with these dogs.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post

Cattle dogs are working animals and don't make the best of pets unless they get LOTS of exercise, LOTS of training and a JOB to do.

My suggestion is you find a very reputable trainer familiar with this breed and start working with them. From your statement this dog is already way out of control and you need some help ASAP. You should also visit the Australian Cattle Dog Club of America, Inc. - ACDCA for more help and insight to this breed.

There are so many Cattle Dogs that are in rescue because owners don't understand this breed.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 AM

727 posts, read 540,092 times
Thanks all

Dog is not mine. I have helped with some other (not cattle-) dogs and I was asked if I can help with this dog also. I think my skills end to this case. I have fixed dogs before but this one sounds way too bad. It does not response same as others before so I am confused. I just thought if someone can give some advices.

Thanks again

Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM

The dog needs some consistency and ongoing training. If I wasn't constantly doing things with my Corgi, he would be out of control as well. As some said, these type of dogs need a job, they need to be doing something. They have a very high level of energy and they need to release it somehow, weather doing something good or bad, it doesn't matter to them. If they want a well behaved dog then they need to put the time in. Dogs need ongoing training, It doesn't just end at sit and stay.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
I would say that an hour of exercise isn't going to cut it with a cattle dog they need several hours a day! we did several long walks a day tossing tricks and obedience into each walk as mental stimulation is as important as physical and will tire them out too , some off leash play and a good hour of nonstop fetch almost everyday. We also did agility and she played some flyball.

Jazz was part cattle dog and as a puppy telling her "NO" or ignoring her just made her crazy. Cattle dogs love being with their person so for her time outs worked best. If she would not behave I would with out saying a word ( as yes they can see any words as reward) I would take her and put her in the bathroom. Not her crate as her crate was a safe place for her and I did not want her to see it any other way. After a few minutes of quite behavior alone in the bathroom I would let her out if she went back to the bad behavior she would go right back into the bathroom and so it would go until she did behave. She learned fast and as we became a team.The mere words " bad dog" would make her crumble and beg me to forgive her via her most submissive gestures.

She became great at doing what I asked though she would argue with wooos and arrooos and make sure she got the last word in as she was doing what I asked.She listened to NO or a agh type sound I would make and would stop what she was doing and wait for my instruction.They are very very smart dogs and can learn very fast but that means they can also learn bad behavior fast and be stubborn so consistency is very important with them. I found her best reward was me as beyond anything else she wanted to be with me, her ball came next! I did use the nothing in life is free method so she worked for everything and she loved to work.

While she started out as a very difficult puppy she turned into the best behaved dog I have ever owned as she would listen to me and do what I asked of her.We worked as a team and that was a great feeling.

I keep seeing people at the dog park with cattle dogs that do not want to put the time into them and it breaks my heart. There is one little female that looks for me and races over with her ball so we can play. I don't just toss ball she has to sit or down or do a trick for me to toss it and like Jazz did she lights up at doing so. People always think she is my dog but her real owner sits on the bench and yacks on her cell phone Why she got a cattle dog I will never understand! ( I lost Jazz last month as if she was alive I would not be playing with this little female as she would not have allowed that but Dazzle and Phoenix don't care if I play with her).

Old 12-20-2010, 04:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
there is a rancher near me with ACD's and from what he said, they are dogs that need to have a mission each and every waking hour. He brings them over from time to time to play and socialize with my hybrid and you can see their natural ways come alive. They seem to want to be given a task so they can do it for you. I dont think they are really typical house dogs. I wouldn;t be surpised if I went to his place and saw those dogs washing his car, mowing the fireld or building a house themself. One smart dog.
BUT oh lord the screech. forget their bark or their bite, that screeeeehhhhh!!!! They have set my dog off howling when they screech and when mine howls, those dogs a mile away start the screech.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Finnegan is the same way. He loves to show off his tricks. He also loves to get the last word in as well. I've never had a dog that was so eager to lean new things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs