Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,718 times

Advertisements

We really want a small dog, but can't decide between a mini doxie or chihuahua. We have 2 female cats that get along greatly with each other, and our 2 yo. They would be more afraid of any incoming animal than be harmful to it..we want short hair, a dog that will snuggle and play, and one we can take to the beach on nice days.. We don't want a dog that is especially yappy..but won't hold it against the dog either

Any input from owners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Both breeds are yappy. But the dachshund is a plus, because it is quite a deep bark and behind a closed door actually sounds like a much bigger dog.

Like any dog, it is a cr*pshoot whether or not it will get along with cats. We raised our dachs from a puppy with 2 cats and she was fine. She liked the cats and wanted to play with them, unfortunately the cats did not like HER and were always up on the chairs, etc when the dog got rambunctious. We had to hide the litter box in another room where the dachsie could not find it otherwise she would eat the cat poops. (dogs love to eat stinky things)

My dachsie loved our kids, the kids were raised with the dogs. So they learned to be gentle as the kids knew they were small dogs. But they are a tougher breed I think than a chihuahua - just watch their backs, don't let them jump off furniture and carry them down stairs. The dachsies put up with the children remarkably well.

Of course, as it is my favorite breed, I recommend the dachshund! but rule#1 - do not spoil a dachshund, they will rule your house!!

Old 04-18-2008, 04:38 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
My in put for what it worth...IF you get a chi dont get the little tiny ones...Cats think SNACK FOOD!! My Aunt had 1 thats what happen to hers!!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
personally, I would get a chihuahua (not one of those runty ones either) simply b/c dachshunds make me nervous I'll do something to screw up their backs.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:28 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,005,485 times
Doxie, definitely. Chis can be possessive and nippy. I don't think that would be good around your child and cats.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I would recommend the dachshund - mine is a big snuggler as long as we lift him up to the bed or sofa. Needing to be picked up to get to the bed is a big advantage for us - it means that getting on the bed only occurs when we want it to!

Both breeds can bark a good bit - doxies probably bark more, but it is a deeper, less yippy bark.

Dogs (any dog), toddlers and cats can be a volatile mix. It will require some pretty diligent and consistent training (for the pup and the kiddies) on your part to get everyone to enjoy each other's company.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:24 AM

2 posts, read 12,490 times
I love doxies, but they are not for everyone. They can be stubborn to housetrain, have to be raised from puppyhood with cats, kids, etc., prone to digging, back problems and injuries, and will destroy everything in their path to hunt mice, rats, etc. Mine dug up the new carpet in our trailer to get to mice underneath the trailer!
They are the sweetest, best-smelling, loyal, and protective pets in the world if you are committed to TRAINING, excersizing, loving, and keeping them busy! Being smart, they can get bored causing behavioral problems, but most of these rules apply to every breed of dog.
I implore you to seek your pet from a rescue or shelter to not only save a dogs life, but to insure you get a healthy dog, not a dog from a puppy mill with health and behavior problems. 90% of dogs in Pet stores and online come from hidden puppy mills and these poor creatures are seriously risky to adopt.
You can find a purebred from a breed-specific rescue, as well as in shelters, but to avoid breed-specific health problems a mixed-breed is best and they are always grateful and loving to have a family and home! Try Petfinders.com, but PLEASE adopt, spay/neuter, and research since a LIFE is at stake and is a lifetime committment!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:44 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,718 times
Thanks everyone, I love doxies and they were my first choice.. Just wanted to be sure! Think I'll try petfinder..

Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 AM

15 posts, read 49,036 times
I have both a doxie and a chihuahua! Just wanted to say really quick that doxies can be introduced to other dogs and cats later in life. They're stubborn, but you just have to take it very very slowly. Ours was always the type of dog to bark and go crazy when he saw a cat, but now he's buddies with ours. We started out holding each one of them on opposite sides of a big room (the cat didn't like him much either at first), calming them down and making them more relaxed with having the other in the room. Eventually we let them sniff each other on the opposite sides of a door (being careful to keep the dog from barking too much and scaring the cat). We got closer and closer in the room, eventually letting the dog free and holding the cat. When they got comfortable with this, we reversed it. Held the dog and let the cat roam. This one took longer but eventually it worked out. We then let them sniff each other close up (while holding each one separately, just in case). Pretty soon we let them both roam, but of course monitored them very closely! When they got a little more accustomed to one another, we stopped watching so closely but still separated them at night or when we went out. Eventually, we all just adjusted and it was like they'd been best friends all along. This may not be the best way, but it worked for us and I don't know how else you can do it. We did the same with the chihuahua but he got used to the cat more easily. Now they all play and cuddle, and the cat meows sadly when the dogs go for walks. We're happy.

Oh, and I'd recommend a doxie, although it looks like you've chosen one already! Chihuahuas (at least almost all of the ones I've known) are prone to aggression.

Geez what happened to real quick?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:04 AM

641 posts, read 2,365,939 times
Why not get chiweenie. There are plenty in rescues. They are a doxie/chi mix.

Thats what I have. She is great!

Ama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs