Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times

Advertisements

Way to go! I know how good it feels to have a dog that is focused on you and doing what you want it too. He is a handsome dog looks alot like Dazzles old Pal Otis who never somes to the park anymore

With Jazz and Dash I would play a game when we were out walking and frequently ask them to do things like downs or sits as we walked , I would also switch directions on them often or come to a complete stop. They were on a flexi and I would say nothing but just stop and when they realized I was not moving they would race back to me and sometimes get a treat for that. all that taught them to really focus on me. They both had border collie blood and Jazz also had cattle dog so they could focus on things big time if I allowed it.

keep up with the good work as he sounds like a great dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 01:14 PM

457 posts, read 890,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Way to go! I know how good it feels to have a dog that is focused on you and doing what you want it too. He is a handsome dog looks alot like Dazzles old Pal Otis who never somes to the park anymore

With Jazz and Dash I would play a game when we were out walking and frequently ask them to do things like downs or sits as we walked , I would also switch directions on them often or come to a complete stop. They were on a flexi and I would say nothing but just stop and when they realized I was not moving they would race back to me and sometimes get a treat for that. all that taught them to really focus on me. They both had border collie blood and Jazz also had cattle dog so they could focus on things big time if I allowed it.

keep up with the good work as he sounds like a great dog.

That's a lot of the work that I've been doing with him. Random stops, then asking for sit and/or down. I've done it a few times just down the street from the three little dogs, while they were barking at us, I'd stop with him, sit on the sidewalk, and play the attention game. We've been working on the "look at that" game, so I think it's really helped a lot. I was rewarding hime any time that he'd look away at something, and since he's gotten so good at that, I've upped the ante to where he must look at me (eye contact) before he gets his reward. It's really starting to pay off, and I'm so proud him!

Our goal is CGC, and I think he's well on his way to obtaining that certification!!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
Very handsome guy!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM

457 posts, read 890,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Very handsome guy!

Thanks!!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,582 times
It's always such a great feeling to know your dog is learning good things, to see the reward of all your patience and persistence. Good job! He's lucky to have such a good dog-mama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs