Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,836,883 times

Advertisements

Obviously athletes, like all people, can either be very good to animals or very bad. We all know the Michael Vick story.

I'm a St. Louis Blues fans. Anyway, I ran across this article about a Blues player named Barrett Jackman. He rescues dogs that he finds. David Backes, a member of the same team, rescued a pregnant boxer a few months ago. Tony La Russa is known for his Animal Rescue Foundation.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the article.

Quote:
"They have a gunshot wound and you get there too late or you drop them off to the vet and you hear a day or two later that they didn't make it -- it's definitely hard and hard to deal with sometimes. But when you do manage to save a dog and you see the look on their face once they know they're safe and loved . . . it's one of the best feelings."
Quote:
The real hero, insists Jackman, is Stray Rescue of St. Louis and its founder, Randy Grim, who is out on the streets everyday and is credited with saving more than 5,000 feral dogs since 1991.
Barret Jackman helps man's best friends (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Barret+Jackman+helps+best+friends/4343571/story.html#ixzz1Fg2tKEpq - broken link)

Hope that puts a smile on your face. Obviously most of us can't afford to help as much as they can, but we each do what we can. It's great to know that athletes aren't too proud to help out those who need it. Of course, they help people a lot, too.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ST8Dd9smpo

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-04-2011 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,986 times
I think this says it best. I never watch sports, but I like this Barrett Jackman!

[quote]
[LEFT]"There's a lot of guys who do charities with kids and stuff and I still do different things like that but there's not many people who go to the animals and help them," said Jackman, 29.

Read more: Barret Jackman helps man's best friends]

[/LEFT]

Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
He does great work!!

He needs a new vet.

It is never to late to call my vet.

That is something I checked on when I hired one.

I even called him late one Sunday evening to check before I decided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs