Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM

36,920 posts, read 31,177,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
To snap, yes. To bite, no.
I believe it is normal behavior for an alpha dog to bite a subordinate pup for an offense as serious as stealing food. Not acceptable, but normal. I certainly would not get rid of my companion of years because she bit a new puppy in her food bowl, but then I wouldnt allow a new pup unsupervised near her food bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM

603 posts, read 1,951,957 times
this has nothing to do with the breed.the puppy should not have been allowed near the older dog while it was eating.i would not have gotten rid of my dog if i was in this position,i would work with both dogs.i agree with everyone else,this puppy needs to see a vet.most of us are having tough times right now but this puppy needs antibiotics to prevent an infection,which will most definately happen.try looking for a low cost clinic in your area.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,669,146 times
Call The Animal Rescue League maybe they can help your puppy.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,932,958 times
1: your fault for letting the incident happen, hopefully your older dog who was ditched after years of dedication will find a wonderfull home that actually apreciates her, rather than one that would blame their dedicated companion for a snafu that was the owners fault (accidents happen, but one must be able to admit the accident was causes by a lack of supervision) and instead of rehoming the NEW addition if it was truly nessicary...the new "cute" one can stay...

2: it is VERY normal for a dog to BITE intruding dogs, particularly where food is concerned...
true its not acceptable in the average family home...it is however NOrmAL, managable, and completly avoidable if the owner is willing to follow some basic simple rules

3: as others have said...why did you get a new puppy if you cant afford the vet care?

4: noone can tell you what to do about this bite because noone has seeen it, it could be a tiny nick or puncture that all it needs is to bekept clean, or it could be a gaping hole with torn skin and muscle damage that needs serious medical attention, or it could be anything in between...

take your puppy to a vet, most will work out a payment plan, but even if its a little nick, new puppies should be seen by a vet AnYWAY...then need to be checked for internal parisites and vacinated and dewormed if nessicary...they need to get used to seeing the vet and being in that environment ect...

what would happen if your puppy fell down the stairs and broke its leg?
what if it got parvo?

nope...cant afford a vet.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,356,419 times
It's hard to say if you're doing it right when I have no idea of the size of the wound, if it's not too deep, I would allow the pup to lick his own wound...dogs keep their wounds incredibly clean., and that keeps infection at bay. Good luck, and I hope that if the puppys health starts deteriorating you will take it to a shelter for help.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,307,446 times
Folks.. the OP asked what to do about the dog bite not about why the pitt is no longer around. Stay on topic. We are getting complaints that new members feel bullied by some members. If you can't be nice then don't post it

Remember.. calling ANYONE a troll is considered a personal attack.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,247,487 times
This thread is also 3 days old. I would hope this pup got the proper medical attention he needed.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,275 times
because he bit me too an he ws getting increasingly aggressive to my other male dogs

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,275 times
first of all i did not get a new pup my female had puppies! second the pit bit me as well and idk if u grew up w/ dogs or not but i grew up with 4 so in my family if the dog attacks u its gotta go. The pup is fine and perfectly healthy now.I was not home when any of this happened or it wouldnt have.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,757,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progerianpork View Post
first of all i did not get a new pup my female had puppies! second the pit bit me as well and idk if u grew up w/ dogs or not but i grew up with 4 so in my family if the dog attacks u its gotta go. The pup is fine and perfectly healthy now.I was not home when any of this happened or it wouldnt have.
Thanks for reporting back! Glad to hear the baby is fine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs