Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,692 times

Advertisements

Theres a boxer/pit mix i could adopt but my main concern is..
When i move will i be able to get any apartment?
Does anyone have experience with this?
Is a pit mix just as bad as a full pit in the eyes of rental places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Theres a boxer/pit mix i could adopt but my main concern is..
When i move will i be able to get any apartment?
Does anyone have experience with this?
Is a pit mix just as bad as a full pit in the eyes of rental places?
There is only one way to do it these days. Just remember, you DO NOT have a "Pit mix", you have a "Boxer mix". Erase the word "Pit" from your vocabulary. Have your dog listed at your vet as a Boxer mix too. That way his records will also never show the "P" word.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,495,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
There is only one way to do it these days. Just remember, you DO NOT have a "Pit mix", you have a "Boxer mix". Erase the word "Pit" from your vocabulary. Have your dog listed at your vet as a Boxer mix too. That way his records will also never show the "P" word.
Agree!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
You also need to find out how difficult it is in your area to find apartments that will accept any size dog. Many apartments have size restrictions of 20 lbs. or so.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
agree with subject, where i am right now its almost impossible to rent an apartment with ANY pet, there are very few pet frinedly apartments and the few that are usually only allow small caged pets.
renting with a dog in general around here is practically impossible...

and most other places have weight or size limitations, some have full lists of bred limitations (and its not unusual to see the boxer on that list along with dobies, rotts, gsd, any "pitbull like" dog, ect...) even if theres no weight restriction.

but i dont know if thats the case where you are so do some leg work now, is it easy to rent with dogs of ANY size in your area ect.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,680,117 times
I have a boxer pit mix, she looks more boxer than pit im told but I really dont know, my apartment right now doesnt accept and dogs so we're sneaking. We were looking into apartments and most places said ok to the boxer mix but like the previous poster said if I mentioned pit they all freaked out. Luckily we decided to get a house so no more of those worries. GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
One of the animal shelters that I used to work with in FL deleted the word "pit" from their vocabulary. Any dog that even remotely looked like any of the bully breeds was officially a "Florida Brown Dog" or a "Florida Black Dog" depending on the main coloring. You would be astounded at how many people believed it was a real breed, but the adoption paperwork used it so the vet used it as well.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:27 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
This is great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
my apartment right now doesnt accept and dogs so we're sneaking.
Many puppies and dogs are taken to shelters because landlords don't allow pets, but the tenant gets a pet anyway. Whatever you do, don't try to sneak an animal in. Although I don't think landlords should have stupid, arbitrary rules preventing pet ownership, the landlord owns the property, and when you sign a lease you agree to the terms. When you own the property, you can make your own rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
One of the animal shelters that I used to work with in FL deleted the word "pit" from their vocabulary. Any dog that even remotely looked like any of the bully breeds was officially a "Florida Brown Dog" or a "Florida Black Dog" depending on the main coloring. You would be astounded at how many people believed it was a real breed, but the adoption paperwork used it so the vet used it as well.
Very clever I will have to ask my friends in Florida if they've heard of these "breeds."

OP, my brother has two rescued pits (one mixed and one is probably purebred) and he's never had a problem finding an apartment. He has lived in San Fran and San Diego. Rental policies probably differ greatly by locale. Maybe call a local breed rescue and ask if they have a list of apartments that accept pits.

Last edited by dogmomof2; 04-05-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I guess it's going to depend on where you are. Agreed, she/he is NOT a pitmix...but a boxer mix. My daughter just rented an apt. with her "mix" in Fl. Not sure how she did it, but she did!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 AM

457 posts, read 889,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I guess it's going to depend on where you are. Agreed, she/he is NOT a pitmix...but a boxer mix. My daughter just rented an apt. with her "mix" in Fl. Not sure how she did it, but she did!

Ha ha! She got Jai in as a "mix" with no "tell" of pittie? That's funny! Either way, good for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs