Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

I have an old 14 year old labrador and a four year old beagle basset mix.

My labrador rarely goes anywhere because his legs are weak. The beagle basset occassionally goes for rides in the car with me.

Today the labrador had to go to the vet. The BB heard the leash and came running.

I kept telling the BB "no" "you stay here" and every word and sentence possible to convey that he was not going.

He understood but that didn't stop him from dancing around on his hind legs and looking as cute as possible.

I wish I could have taken him but two dogs at the vet is one too many dogs.

He follows us to the door and starts wailing as soon as the door closes.

Hubby met me at the vets and I said "BB was sooooooo angry." We chuckled.

FAST FORWARD TO WHEN I GOT HOME WITH THE LABRADOR:

My son was asleep upstairs when I left. He sleeps through everything so he didn't hear the BB go into a tizzy barking when we left.

The BB, who rarely pays much attention to my son, went into my son's room. He woke up to the BB on his bed, whining and crying in his face.

The whole entire time I was gone, the BB whined and cried---looking to a teenage boy to sooth him.

Nothing my son tried helped calm the BB down. For two entire hours, the BB cried and wimpered.

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE:

OMGoodness. The BB is fine being left home when all the humans leave.

I had no idea he was sooooooooooo attached to the labrador.

They're buddies. He's a hound, a pack dog.

What is the BB going to do when the old lab dies?

It's not like I can get the BB another dog. He is very particular about who he hangs out with. It's not like he'd accept just any dog as a replacement.

And I wasn't planning on getting another dog. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Well, Hopes, you are just going to have to cross that bridge when you come to it.

Maybe you'll be able to find him a suitable companion if it comes to that.

I hope so!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,858 times
I felt this way too at one time. It's amazing how acceptable a dog can be of a new friend.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
yes.... what kahskye said..... even Miss this-is-MY-house-and-MY-human bailey loves her Davey-Long-Legs.....

i think the key is introducing the dogs on neutral territory and seeing how they get along on a preliminary basis.... there were a couple of dogs that did NOT mesh well with our family before we found our Dave.......

Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I had a beagle/basset for about two years (his last two years). He'd been all over the place and was really hell to live with (I still have the locks on the cabinets and trash) but when he'd put his velvety head on my knee or yank off the bedcovers to go down and lie on my icy feet... RIP, Snoops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs