Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,187 times

Advertisements

I have 7 right now...and 4 more on the way in the next 3 mos. Their ages: 5.5yrs, 1.5yrs, 10mos, 8mos, 7mos, 7mos, & 3mos. I have SH & LH, don't care too much for the harsh wire, but the soft wire & silky wire are really cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 PM

61 posts, read 251,415 times
1 mini, she is 4 years old and one huge recessive gene!!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM

394 posts, read 1,431,360 times
I just got one through rescue, picking him up on Friday. I can't wait. He's about a year old, B&T male.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,941,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
I just got one through rescue, picking him up on Friday. I can't wait. He's about a year old, B&T male.
Oh, you'll have so much fun! Get ready for a face licking. Every dachshund I have ever known was a BIG kisser! Please keep us posted.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:59 PM

394 posts, read 1,431,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Oh, you'll have so much fun! Get ready for a face licking. Every dachshund I have ever known was a BIG kisser! Please keep us posted.
haha will do. I'm planning on spending every moment I have this weekend with him. He just got neutered so I'm not sure if he'll want some rest. I'm not sure how the recovery time with that is.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM

347 posts, read 934,414 times
attached Tahsa the short hair and Bandett the long hair. Would have puppies if he could "Seal the Deal"
Attached Thumbnails
Any Dachshund owners on here?-picture-053.jpg   Any Dachshund owners on here?-picture-044.jpg  

Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
steelers: You will love your dachshund! They are so much fun... if you have problems with the housebreaking, remember you can never take them out to "do their buziness" too often. They will get it soon enough.

They are such merry little dogs. Don't be surprised if you want another, cause 2 keep each other busy. And our one was a licker too.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,690 times
I have a mini black and tan doxie! She's 9 months old. She's the love of my life!

I've got a question-is it too early to start slowly switching her over to adult food? I bought puppy and adult and was going to start mixing them, but I hope 9 months is a good time to do so. Thoughts?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM

212 posts, read 948,950 times
My miniature doxie is almost 2 years old. He is the cutest little red boy, only about 10 pounds and very handsome. Very physically fit and loves to play. But his favorite activity this winter is sitting close to the wood stove and becoming a toasted hot dog; he doesn't like to be cold.

He is a bit of a nipper when he meets new people, so we're careful when people come to the house for the first time. After a couple of minutes, they're his best friends, but we have to watch him. He barks, but no more than other dogs.

I feed him high quality food (canned and dry, I use Merrick's) and take him on long walks (we always use a well-fitting harness). Also, brushing their teeth is important. He comes from a reputable breeder. He was easy to house train and never makes mistakes.

Another tip - we use a dremel tool for his nails. It keeps them looking very nice and he doesn't mind one bit (he gets a cookie afterwards).

He is so darn cute that we may get another one some day, but I think he likes being an only child.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
Yes, you have to be sure to keep the weight off that breed, their backs will go out otherwise. They have a tendency towards disc disease. And don't let them jump off furniture or go downstairs.
My dachsie used to just love to bake in the sun. She would sit in front of a heater, or find the hottest part of the room where the sun was coming in, or find the furnace duct every morning and sit in front of it so it would blow on her. Yes, the breed does very well in the heat, doesn't really suffer in the hot weather like some breeds do. but she also liked to run in the snow and roll in it.
A very hardy breed i would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs