Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 10:17 AM

33 posts, read 110,531 times

Advertisements

Would prefer someone local, (New York vicinity) who breeds for the love of the breed, not for the love of money.

Never thought it would be so challenging to find a good breeder. I still cannot believe how many scammers there are out there....so sad.

If anyone knows of someone, kindly message me.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,340 times
DM MAK802. She has a great bulldog from a reputable breeder. She can send you in the right direction.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 PM

33 posts, read 110,531 times
Thanks....Maggie sent me a PM already.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Depending on the kind of bulldog, you're either a troll trying to get everyone wound up or you're totally uneducated when it comes to dogs.

If you're looking for an EBD, yes, contact MAK. It's not in your area but EBD breeders that are reputable - like all true reputable breeders - are very hard to find and seldom are they in your neighborhood. Don't expect any puppies to be available. You'll be screened by them and if approved you'll be on a waiting list, probably for over a year.

If you're looking for another bully breed and are simply uneducated, look on Petfinder. There's no reason you need a purchased dog from a reputable breeder unless you're planning on breeding or showing, in which case I'd certainly hope you've already spent years learning about the breed and meeting the top people in the breed's inner circle and found yourself a good mentor. In which case you wouldn't be here asking for a breeder.

I'm very aware that some people just don't want to adopt, period and will only buy from a breeder. It makes me sad, knowing there are so many that will die because of that, but I do respect that decision as long as you're looking for a truly reputable breeder. Either way, I highly encourage adoption. I've been in rescue for years so I'm very biased and I'll be the first to admit it. I've got 13 dogs in my house right now. All are rescues and almost every single one is purebred and they've all got outstanding temperaments. Don't discount a shelter pup just because they come with a stigma that they're 'damaged goods'.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Depending on the kind of bulldog, you're either a troll trying to get everyone wound up or you're totally uneducated when it comes to dogs.

If you're looking for an EBD, yes, contact MAK. It's not in your area but EBD breeders that are reputable - like all true reputable breeders - are very hard to find and seldom are they in your neighborhood. Don't expect any puppies to be available. You'll be screened by them and if approved you'll be on a waiting list, probably for over a year.

If you're looking for another bully breed and are simply uneducated, look on Petfinder. There's no reason you need a purchased dog from a reputable breeder unless you're planning on breeding or showing, in which case I'd certainly hope you've already spent years learning about the breed and meeting the top people in the breed's inner circle and found yourself a good mentor. In which case you wouldn't be here asking for a breeder.

I'm very aware that some people just don't want to adopt, period and will only buy from a breeder. It makes me sad, knowing there are so many that will die because of that, but I do respect that decision as long as you're looking for a truly reputable breeder. Either way, I highly encourage adoption. I've been in rescue for years so I'm very biased and I'll be the first to admit it. I've got 13 dogs in my house right now. All are rescues and almost every single one is purebred and they've all got outstanding temperaments. Don't discount a shelter pup just because they come with a stigma that they're 'damaged goods'.
MRS...Please know that you have my total respect and I know that you are very pro-adoption and that is understandable but I feel that there are advantages to finding REPUTABLE breeders.

I know I've told this before but here it is again. When I finally got rid of my a$$ of a husband, I got a lab that I had wanted for a very long time. I was dumb/ignorant and got one from a BYB. He had a whole in his heart which was genetic. He lived for 3 years, on 7 meds. Loved him so much.

When I was ready for another furbaby I wanted to make sure that I found a healthy one. I talked to my vet and found a breeder in the area that had show quality dogs. Very small operation. Dogs lived in the house. Didn't breed untill they were 4 and stopped at 7. Maybe 2 litters a year. He had 4 females and one male. Used artificle insimination so the male didn't get hurt. Loved his dogs to say the least. Did all the testing etc.

So Bella is gorgeous and healthy. Even tho she has champions in her line, she is fixed. I wasn't interested in showing or breeding. I just wanted a healthy companion and thats what I got.

Yes I paid more for her but Ben cost me much more with all his meds and vet visits.

So I guess what I am saying is there are good resonses for using REPUTABLE breeders.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Oh, I'm VERY aware of the advantages of buying from a reputable breeder. That's what I said in my post. I thought about purchasing a chi from one myself. But for me, my personal decision, was that I wanted to save one that would otherwise die. I've had rescue dogs for the last 18 years or so, save one that came from a BYB before I knew better. They've died younger than they should have in many cases. It's heartbreaking every single time, but in my eyes they at least died after finding love and acceptance and a family. If not for taking them in, they'd have died in a cold shelter with people that never knew them and loved them. If it means my heart has to break more often, than that's the price I pay for knowing that I've saved them from that death. And in so many cases the deaths for them in shelters are horrendous - gas chambers and heart stick. If I can save them from that, even knowing I'll lose them sooner than I should and my heart will be broken, so be it. I'd rather cry my eyes out over their loss than lay down at night wondering how they died.

Munchi - my 'personal' baby - is just as gorgeous and wonderful as any dog I could have bought. She's outside breed lines for sure, definitely larger than any other long haired chi from a reputable breeder. But so far she's healthy. And there's no way I could have found a dog with a better personality and temperament than she has.

Like I said, I will ALWAYS encourage people to adopt. Yes, you'll probably lose them at a younger age, but you've saved them from what can be a torturous death at the hands of people that in so many cases just don't care. It's my choice and thankfully it seems to be a very popular trend lately. I'd love to see the day that there were totally responsible pet owners out there and no more homeless pets and we all purchased our dogs from responsible breeders and those dogs all lived 25 or 30 years and were healthy the entire time. I'd love to see the day you'd have to put your name on a waiting list and be screened to own a pet, just like you do if you want to adopt a child. I doubt I'll see it in my time or my kids will in theirs, but I hope we see it some day. Until then, adoption is my route and I do what I can to convince others that they won't get a 'broken' or 'not as worthy' dog from a shelter.

As a side note, I've had rescue dogs live just as long as dogs from reputable breeders too. Not all dogs from shelters or BYB will die early. I'm sorry you found one that did. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a pet. I've told John many times when I lose Munchi he needs a padded cell waiting for me.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Very beautifully said!! Ben was so tramatic for my daughter and I that she didn't even want to bond with Bella. She was afraid that she would die. I HATE BYB and puppy mills because of this.

Thank you for all you do for ALL the wonderful animals out there.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
MRS...Please know that you have my total respect and I know that you are very pro-adoption and that is understandable but I feel that there are advantages to finding REPUTABLE breeders.

I know I've told this before but here it is again. When I finally got rid of my a$$ of a husband, I got a lab that I had wanted for a very long time. I was dumb/ignorant and got one from a BYB. He had a whole in his heart which was genetic. He lived for 3 years, on 7 meds. Loved him so much.

When I was ready for another furbaby I wanted to make sure that I found a healthy one. I talked to my vet and found a breeder in the area that had show quality dogs. Very small operation. Dogs lived in the house. Didn't breed untill they were 4 and stopped at 7. Maybe 2 litters a year. He had 4 females and one male. Used artificle insimination so the male didn't get hurt. Loved his dogs to say the least. Did all the testing etc.

So Bella is gorgeous and healthy. Even tho she has champions in her line, she is fixed. I wasn't interested in showing or breeding. I just wanted a healthy companion and thats what I got.

Yes I paid more for her but Ben cost me much more with all his meds and vet visits.

So I guess what I am saying is there are good resonses for using REPUTABLE breeders.
You make such excellent points!
Many people don't realise that good show breeders sell pups on "pet contracts" when the puppy is not show nor work quality...and in the best breedings, it's extremely rare that all puppies in a litter are show or work quality. Most have some tiny little cosmetic flaw.

And, you'll get a well-bred puppy from properly tested parents with great bloodlines usually for much less than the show pups (or those stupid "designer breed" mutts) sell for. And without giving a single cent to questionable breeders.

For people not specifically looking for a purebred puppy, I ditto what mrs1885 said - it's amazing how many wonderful, sound, purebred puppies and dogs are available in rescue.

JSB - thank you for taking the time to do this responsibly!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You make such excellent points!
Many people don't realise that good show breeders sell pups on "pet contracts" when the puppy is not show nor work quality...and in the best breedings, it's extremely rare that all puppies in a litter are show or work quality. Most have some tiny little cosmetic flaw.

And, you'll get a well-bred puppy from properly tested parents with great bloodlines usually for much less than the show pups (or those stupid "designer breed" mutts) sell for. And without giving a single cent to questionable breeders.

For people not specifically looking for a purebred puppy, I ditto what mrs1885 said - it's amazing how many wonderful, sound, purebred puppies and dogs are available in rescue.

JSB - thank you for taking the time to do this responsibly!
Thanks so much for the compliment. That means alot in this tuff crowd. My breeder really wanted me to have one of his dogs show quality or notl. He really cares about the dogs and the home that they go to. Madison Oaks Isabella Grace could have WON at Madison Square Gardens as far as I'm concerned (maybe a little prejeduce). In all seriousness, what mattered to him was someone that would love his dog. I originally wanted a black male but ended up with a yellow female. He was right. She was the dog for me. I wouldn't give up this girl for the world. I just love people that really care for their dogs..........pure bred or not. Dogs to me are the most noble animal on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs