Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times

Advertisements

I have a Bissell specially designed to deal with pet hair. I've had it for 3 years already. We have 2 Golden Retrievers so a good vacuum cleaner is a must.

The vacuum must be taken apart regularly to clean the foam filter, etc. for it to last, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM

295 posts, read 832,801 times
Whatever you do, don't buy a Eureka "The Boss". It has a "pet pod" attachment, sounds good but the darn thing weighs so much that only Godzilla could tote it around. I think it's at least 25 lbs but feels even heavier when using. No kidding. Doesn't pick up much either, imo, except I do admit that the hoses with attachments do suck up dirt. Otherwise, this thing is a bust, and I'm ditching it after using it only a few months. Gonna get me either a Dyson or an Oreck--good ratings and lightweight. I wish I'd have spent the extra $$$ on one of those in the first place.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Get rid of the carpet and have critter friendly easy to clean flooring like tile, vinyl, wood, pergo...etc.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Get rid of the carpet and have critter friendly easy to clean flooring like tile, vinyl, wood, pergo...etc.

now THIS is MY dream....

Old 08-25-2011, 04:08 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
now THIS is MY dream....
Ditto...I kick myself everytime I think of being talked into carpeting in my MH at first I wanted ALL vinyl because I live on dusty acerage but nooooo the nimnod in the sales dept. spent an hour talking me into it. Never again. If I can ever buy again, it will be a carpet free home or I will budget to rip the stuff up before I move in.

One of my projects is to rip up my carpeting and just paint what ever is beneath it until I can afford different stuff...I have a friend who did that and it took them 5 years to save for what they wanted but the painted floor lasted and worked!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
I use a Shopvac but only b/c it was a gift. Otherwise, I would buy a Dyson, and I might do so, anyway, b/c the Shopvac is difficult to maneouver as a "regular" vaccuum, although I think it's smart to always have one on hand.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
My whole house is all hardwood floors thank god I only have to worry about area rugs.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
I just bought a Shark Navigator for around $180. It is GREAT.. It picks up more dirt and hair from the carpet than the Sears Vacuum I had plus it doesn't spew out find dust particles. I love the fact that there are no filters or bags to buy. The filters are washable.

I spent a fortune for filters on the Sears Vacuum. I also have a Hoover windtunnel with a bag but the belt keeps breaking. I am not strong enough to put it on so I have to find someone to help me with it which is a PIA.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Got! Like!

I'm with StarlaJane on the Shop Vac. That's mostly what I use, it picks everything up - including the cats if I'm not careful LOL. Not sleek or trendy but for a mostly non-carpeted house, it's really efficient. Plus I can suck spiderwebs off the ceiling and flies mid-air and pet hair off the furniture or throw rugs without faffing about with different attachments.

I bought it for $50 off some guy on craigslist. He had never used it and it was still in the box. Lowes sells replacement filters for the thing cheap.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
Thanks to all of you who shared your opinions. The Dyson seems like the best working machine BUT I just cannot swing that kind of money right now. My plan is to make the rounds of the stores to compare feel etc. I will let you know what makes the final cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs