Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,658 times

Advertisements

I’m thinking of getting a new puppy and I wanted to get some feedback the best breed for me. I am looking for a dog that is great with children. I have only had cats my entire life but now my grandchildren have convinced me that it’s time to get a dog. I am considering a Golden Retriever or Black Lab. If I had it my way, I would get a poodle, but the kids aren’t keen on the idea. Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM

157 posts, read 578,225 times
Make sure none of the kids have allergies first. There's simply no room in shelters for any more dogs or cats

That said, BARC has 10$ adoptions right now. They have labs, terriers, puppies, you name it. An adopted pet can be the best pet ever with love and training. Rescue dogs seem to appreciate you more.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 AM

157 posts, read 578,225 times
BTW poodles are great dogs that shed very little. They get a bad rap because people associate them with bows and fingernail polish. DO you have a yard? Will this dog be an inside dog or an outside dog? If it were me, I'd take the kids to BARC & let the dog pick you!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 AM

225 posts, read 520,324 times
Australian Shepherds are a very good breed for kids

Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Not enough info....

What is your lifestyle - active/more sedentary? Retrievers are great but they are sporting dogs..they require regular exercise. A bored retriever will not be the dog you imagine from TV and movies.

Will size or shedding be an issue?

How much time/$ do you anticipate being able to put forth in grooming, training etc? Please make an effort to train your dog regardless of breed. Large unruly dogs are no fun but don't be one of those people who feel that just because their dog is small, that bad behavior is not as unwelcome...

In the end, YOU are the one living with and responsible for the dog...get what fits into YOUR life. Your grandkids will adapt.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 AM

7,384 posts, read 12,683,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinnaeusMclaughlin View Post
I’m thinking of getting a new puppy and I wanted to get some feedback the best breed for me. I am looking for a dog that is great with children. I have only had cats my entire life but now my grandchildren have convinced me that it’s time to get a dog. I am considering a Golden Retriever or Black Lab. If I had it my way, I would get a poodle, but the kids aren’t keen on the idea. Any thoughts appreciated.
I came straight from a life with cats to a life with a dog, too, and it was an adjustment! I had no idea what the poor puppy was trying to tell me. But within a year I had become a dog person. I suggest you read a couple of books about dog breeds and training, and go to a dog park and hang out (yes, without a dog you'll look like a dog pedophile eyeing the pooches , but it'll pass once everybody gets used to you! Bring one of your grandchildren as an alibi; tell them you're educating yourself) and talk to dog owners, and ask their opinion and get to know their dogs. Observe the dogs' body language, and check your own reaction. That's the fastest way to get dog exposure! And it's fun. And you'll find that as much as you appreciate cats (and you'll never stop), a dog is much more of an interactive companion. More demanding, too.

As for breeds, I'd consider the sweetest, best-tempered mid-size mutt in the shelter...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times
I agree go to a shelter as some dog or puppy might just choose you and those are often the best . If this is your first dog you might want to skip the whole Puppy thing as puppies are ALOT of work and it is easy to find a young adult or even a nice older dog that is at very least house trained and has some mannners or even great obedience. Don't listen to any one that says get a puppy because it will bond to you as so will an adult and I think some of the adults I adopted had even stronger bonds with me then the puppies...maybe it is the fact they lost a person and figured the next one was for keeps. I adopted Dash at a year and boy from day one he was my velcro buddy and never let me out of his sight, I was his person!
Don't over look the mixed breeds as many of them are great dogs and my newest pup Chaos is a mix and OMG she is the sweetest, most social girl and yes she is very cute. The other cool thing about some of the mixes I have had is they have been originals and no one has a dog that looks just like them so they are like a fine piece of Art. I have nothing against purebred dogs as I do one of those too.They too can be found in shelters or via rescues.There is just something about getting a dog for who it is rather then what breed it is. often when you meet a bunch of dogs there will be one that you just click with and if you listen to that and get that dog you end up with the best dog ever!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,963,075 times
Don't over look the mixed breeds as many of them are great dogs and my newest pup Chaos is a mix and OMG she is the sweetest, most social girl and yes she is very cute.

^THIS

A mixed breed can temper alot of the unwanted (for general pets) traits of the purebreeds and make them very good dogs. A pure working breed dog would have alot of energy whereas the pure companion animals can be very frail (mentally and/or physically). I've got a mix between an australian cattle dog and an american cocker spaniel and its alot less energy than the cattle dog, but less emotionally dependent as the cocker spaniel (which really does not like to be left alone very often). Its a great mix and makes for a terrific dog.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,704,361 times
You, rather than the kids, really should be making this decision; kids do not have enough wisdom to choose the proper dog for your household--they simply go with whatever dog seems cuter or more likeable.

That said, this is a decision that, as maciesmom stated, should be made regarding your lifestyle and what breed of dog might be conducive to that lifestyle. I can also guarantee you that the kids will end up liking whatever dog you get; if they don't, then they're not ready for a dog!

I also agree about going to the shelter and getting a mixed breed. The shelter will most likely have personality info for each dog and can help you pick the dog that is best suited for your home. In fact, a lot of shelters will only show you and make available those dogs that they think are a good fit for your home.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
As for breeds, I'd consider the sweetest, best-tempered mid-size mutt in the shelter...
Ditto! When I decided to get a puppy, I visited rescues/shelters and Petfinder.com for MONTHS... finally saw a little mixed-breed (black and tan) puppy at the local shelter, who immediately stole my heart. I've had him for over 5 years now, and he's 40lbs of pure love and sweetness - no dog is perfect, but he's pretty darned close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs