Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,674 times

Advertisements

Our lab has 2 big triggers that have made us laugh recently. One of them is at night, when I am grinding coffee for the next day, he will run around the apartment, grab his Kong and bring it to us to freeze with peanut butter. The second is when I am getting dressed in the morning, he will run to his crate and sit and stare at the freezer.

I was always under the assumption that dogs cannot actually "remember" something as specific as me putting on my shirt or grinding coffee and to go and do something. Is this false? Is my grinding coffee or putting on a shirt just a non-verbal command at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Our lab has 2 big triggers that have made us laugh recently. One of them is at night, when I am grinding coffee for the next day, he will run around the apartment, grab his Kong and bring it to us to freeze with peanut butter. The second is when I am getting dressed in the morning, he will run to his crate and sit and stare at the freezer.

I was always under the assumption that dogs cannot actually "remember" something as specific as me putting on my shirt or grinding coffee and to go and do something. Is this false? Is my grinding coffee or putting on a shirt just a non-verbal command at this point?
LOL - dogs are very much creatures of habit. Have you heard of a Pavlovian response (aka "conditioned response")? Had to do with an experiment with dogs. After conditioning them for quite some time that they would get a treat when they heard a bell ring, they would drool anytime that bell rang! Dogs remember and associate extremely well!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Yep, your dog can absolutely respond to those cues from you. If dogs couldn't be conditioned to respond to cues, training them would be an impossibility.

All I have to do is pick up the Kong and fill it with peanut butter, and mine's heading off to his crate.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
My dogs "know the time" before I do, they know their route in what time they get their treats, what time they go out to potty ect.
They also associate very well, they know if I don't put their harnesses on then grab my purse it means I'm going out without them and they run to the cabin ate where the treats are kept as they always get a treat when I leave them...
They know if I put my shoes on and don't get my purse were going on the garden and stand by the door. They certain,y have very distinct ideas of what things mean, routines and the concempt of time itself even if it doesn register as numbers on a clock to them.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - dogs are very much creatures of habit. Have you heard of a Pavlovian response (aka "conditioned response")? Had to do with an experiment with dogs. After conditioning them for quite some time that they would get a treat when they heard a bell ring, they would drool anytime that bell rang! Dogs remember and associate extremely well!
Hahah yes we were joking about calling the dog Pavlov because of this. We actually took the time to break down my coffee routine (putting beans in the grinder, putting the cover on the grinder, etc.) to see which step actually triggered the kong retrieval.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
I posted not too long ago Can dogs tell time?

My Lucy knows when it is time to go get the kids from school as she always goes along for the ride. She is even able to keep up with day light savings time changes. a few times she has actually woken me up from a nap at the right time and if she didn't the kids would not have been picked up. Dogs are smart!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I posted not too long ago Can dogs tell time?

My Lucy knows when it is time to go get the kids from school as she always goes along for the ride. She is even able to keep up with day light savings time changes. a few times she has actually woken me up from a nap at the right time and if she didn't the kids would not have been picked up. Dogs are smart!
Hmm I actually read that dogs DON'T have a sense of time, but they CAN figure stuff out based on hunger level, tiredness, noise, etc.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,063,502 times
My dogs get fed at 5:45pm. They can be dead asleep in another room and at 5:44pm without fail they come get me, I though it was based on hunger, but then they adjusted for daylight savings.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Our dog gets in her kennel every night at 8:30, no matter what is going on in the house.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Mine also has the mailman's schedule down pat, so much that when there is a sub on the route and the schedule gets off, he's looking for his nemesis at the regular time, and also looks for him that same time on Sundays and holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs