Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times

Advertisements

Another thing is IF the dog barrels over the invisible line, that system works the same when it tries returning. So if the dog chases something over the fence line and ignores the zap, it may pay attention to the zap when it tries to go home and could be "locked out" of its own property.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
ive known primarily of jack russels locally that have run rught through "big dog" systems...set highest level too...

labs have drive, but its nothing compared to the drive and pain tolerance of a terrier breed, especially bully breeds which all have terrier blood.
Yeah, labs have no pain tolerance. My dog jumped off a cliff and was walking on the side of the river when I went down after him. My other dog climbed a 15 foot tree after a squirrel and jumped (or tried to jump) to the next tree to follow it. That's a pretty strong prey drive.

All dogs are different. I have issues with people that say no fences work on strong-prey dogs, etc.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
And I have a Weim that goes outside on a steel chain because he walks through the eletric fence.

Also worth noting is that in the event of a power failure the electric fence does not work unless you have a secondary diesel generator hooked up to it.

Location is everything. There is a big difference between 3/4 acre on federal highway and 40 acres in the county. If the parcel of land is 40 acres square, it is more than 8300 feet on each side. Even a dog with a high prey drive is not likely to leave that kind of acreage..
Again, your dog goes through the fence...doesn't mean all dogs do.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
noone ever said ALL dogs do...
just that MANY dogs do, ive seen 5lbs dogs run through them and refuse to come home on high settings, ive seen BIG dogs run through them and barely flinch on the higest settings...

so many of us belive that while some dogs do and some dogs dont run through these fences, that the risk is more than the fence is worth...
I had an electric fence rep tell me its about a 50/50 chance of getting a dog who will drive strong enough to ignore the fence every time no matter what the setting...
to me that 50/50 risk is way too high when for about the same cost i can put up a livestock feild fence and reduce the risk.

not to mention electric fences dont keep wild animals out, they dont keep ill meaning people out, they dont keep kids and their balls out...ect.

while many homes are happy with their underground fences literally just as many are not, theres a 40% return rate (again this is directly from an electric fence rep, i used to work in the pet supply feild, this is not somehting ive read online this is direct form the companies) and an aproximatly additional 15% of people who dont return them but report dissatisfactory results.

it obvisouly works for you Rsfgw, and thats great, but they are NOT ever going to work fro every dog every time...

just like a 4ft fence isnt going to work for all dogs, a 6 ft fence isnt goin to work fro some dogs, a chain or overhead ect isnt going to work fro EVERY dog...
and anyone considering an underground/electric fence should understand that MANY dogs big and small, low and high drive will run rght through those fences, and most of those then refuse to come home...

Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,007 times
I purchased a High Tech on EBAY and need wire for approx. 2 acres. Can I purchase standard 18 ga wire from electrical supply house or is there a special wire.
Thanks,

Old 04-30-2014, 05:00 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
My black lab that died last year was tennis ball crazy...he followed a tennis ball off a 75 ft cliff into a river (long story, but of course, I followed him over. thankfully we were both ok.)
Holy Schnikes!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,802 times
When I was a kid we had a beagle, and an electric fence. Every day she would just run over it. I don't think it caused health problems, but it never kept her in.

We put up a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence for our dogs this year. It's heaven on earth. Keeps the dogs in, everything & everybody else out, and they can't see people walking by & attack the fence.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seybertwp View Post
I purchased a High Tech on EBAY and need wire for approx. 2 acres. Can I purchase standard 18 ga wire from electrical supply house or is there a special wire.
Thanks,
That's a really good question. The wire has to be able to emit something through the insulation HOWEVER one of those clamp on amp meters can read through the insulation. Can you get a piece of wire and test it out first?

I had an invisible fence which would have worked great if I'd had the long prongs on the collar to reach the skin through the snow-dog fur layers. If they ever DO get out they won't cross to get back in. There's a beagle in the neighborhood who does really well with his invisible fence. The bad part is not keeping other animals out.

Please let us know what works out for you!!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM

229 posts, read 346,775 times
I have one for my dachshund (the radio type not the wire) and it works great. She learned right away and stays within the boundary even stops chasing the rabbits that come in our yard. I tried it out on myself first (I figure its only fair) and holy crap even on the lowest setting (where we keep it) it had me doing the shuffle (and I have no rhythm).

My experience has been great, my dog is happy (we cant put in a fence, except a small area which isn't worth it) she can run around. I recommend it.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Working dogs are generally large animals with a high prey drive. The best control is early intervention at a young age when they learn social skills, and to obey basic commands such as sit, stay, heel, come, drop it, and bring. These dogs must learn who the Alpha Male and Alpha Female are in their pack, and their own position in the pack which is NEVER the Alpha. And they must learn they cannot always win the tug of war, and they can't bite everyone they meet or everything that moves.

Some dogs are easy to train as they want to please. Others are I WILL NOT - headed. Training a well behaved, high prey, dog is a long and arduous labor of love that requires a lot of exercise. Do-It-Yourself dog training is not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs