Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:18 AM

180 posts, read 957,464 times

Advertisements

Elvis has a flea allergy. However, there are no fleas in our yard or anywhere on him. I went over him "with a fine toothed comb" and there's not a single one on him. Nor can I find any red spots or other indications to explain his behaviour.

He's biting at himself and running and hiding; isolating himself and acting like things are attacking him. The exact same behaviour he exhibited when I learned he had fleas and a flea allergy a couple of years ago!

Benadryl gives him a brief respite (about 4 hours). But it makes him spooky and fearful as it wears off. If I give him more than one in a 2 day period, he's virtually phsycotic and paranoid.

I bathed him in oatmeal shampoo. I rubbed aloe vera gel into his skin with no results.

I tried a cortizone spray and he acted like it burned him, he even cried out loud in pain!

I bathed him again in a very expensive danged hypo-allergenic shampoo. (I don't begrudge the expense but it didn't work either!)

Now what? Any homeopathic or prescription recommendations out there?

My vet suggested all of these above methods and I am losing confidence in anything else he might say as nothing so far is helping.

My poor baby is miserable and consequently so am I. Any ideas folks?

Thank you so much,
TW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM

159 posts, read 355,781 times
Exclamation I would get a second opinion

I would take your dog to another vet for a second opinion. If you have friends or co-workers who have dogs, ask them about their vets.

We have found that just like doctors, not all vets are equal when it comes to their skills.

To me it sounds strange that the vet is calling it a flea allergy when your dog doesn't have any fleas.

Sorry I couldn't offer a solution, but as I said based on our experience I would absolutely take you dog to another vet.

Let us know what happens.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,658 times
I have two dogs which are allergic to fleas. The first thing you need to do is keep them on advantage that keeps the fleas away. My lab mix gets sprayed daily twice daily with a gentamicin sulfate spray, its a prescription you can get from your vet. I also rub her down where she has lost her hair, with a sulfur powder you can get at some pharmacies, I mix the powder with crisco. The yorkie mix I have is not only allergic to fleas is allergic to something else that I do not know. I bath him in sulfoxydex and I also spray him with the gentomicin spray. The shampoo comes from a vet but its not prescription.
This time of the year is horrible for them.
The vet will also give your dogs a shot of cortizone and that helps for a little while,about six weeks.
Here in Florida vets see these problems all the time, I am surprised your vet hasn't.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharPit View Post
I would take your dog to another vet for a second opinion. If you have friends or co-workers who have dogs, ask them about their vets.

We have found that just like doctors, not all vets are equal when it comes to their skills.

To me it sounds strange that the vet is calling it a flea allergy when your dog doesn't have any fleas.

Sorry I couldn't offer a solution, but as I said based on our experience I would absolutely take you dog to another vet.

Let us know what happens.
Exactly!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:36 AM

133 posts, read 750,711 times
I didn't read where you tried flea medications. i.e. advantage etc. That would be the first step.

I wonder if it could be a food allergy?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Advantage and all the major brand you buy everywhere never worked for me.
Tar-Ific is what I use. THe spray and the shampoo
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/assets/product_images/Pets/PPP_Tarrific.jpg (broken link)
Tar-ific™ Skin Relief Spray for dogs and puppies - Medicated Shampoos & Treatments (http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=280 - broken link)

I give him a bath every three weeks or so in the Tar-Ific shampoo.
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/assets/product_images/Pets/PPP_Tarrific.jpg (broken link)

He hasnt had problems since, and it has been commented that he has the shiniest dog coat in town multiple times too

Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,691,229 times
It sadly only takes one flea to set them off to feel so miserable. And yes, it could also be a food allergy.

I agree with the other smart posters on here, take him to another vet, and it could very well turn out he has multiple allergies going on,

Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 AM

I appreciate ya'lls help.

Elvis has no fleas and there are none in the yard. He's just exhibiting the same behaviour he did when he had fleas before and was diagnosed.

We've been here 2 years now but my sister and mother have been here for 7years and this area has always been flea free. But he had them once before I moved here.

He had a spell of this briefly last year but a hypo allergenic bath put him to right immediately.

He's eating the same foods and treats he has always eaten, he's not allowed table foods...
so I am just at a loss as to why nothing is working for him this time.

he's so miserable that it is making me miserable too.

I am going to try another vet too. I fully expected this one to administer a cortizone shot after my third trip and he did not.

Thanks again for your help.

TW

Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM

P.S.

I just ordered the Tar-rific relief spray. Thank you for the link.

TW

Old 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Good, I hope it works just as good for you as it did me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs