Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 AM

131 posts, read 411,104 times

Advertisements

We currently have one dog (9.5 yo Pomeranian named Earl). I've talked to the hubby and I'm pretty sure he is on board with getting a Pom puppy in the spring Where is the best place to look for a breeder? I've been searching around online, and a few places say that most of the puppies are sold online before they are ready to go home...is this normal?? 9.5 years ago when we got Earl, we were able to find places that let you go look at the litter and play with the puppies, and pick one that way. And it was the same when we got our Shelties when I was a kid. I want to be able to meet the puppy before I plunk down all that cash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
We currently have one dog (9.5 yo Pomeranian named Earl). I've talked to the hubby and I'm pretty sure he is on board with getting a Pom puppy in the spring Where is the best place to look for a breeder? I've been searching around online, and a few places say that most of the puppies are sold online before they are ready to go home...is this normal?? 9.5 years ago when we got Earl, we were able to find places that let you go look at the litter and play with the puppies, and pick one that way. And it was the same when we got our Shelties when I was a kid. I want to be able to meet the puppy before I plunk down all that cash!
I have a despot on a pup that has not been conceived yet.

The pup will come with grantees and I will get a chance to defer to another litter.

I can take him home for a while if I want to before I pay the balance.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM

416 posts, read 638,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
start with a 'pomeranian' dog club....these are people who show their dogs, etc

usualy they will have a list of breeders on their site. if not, contact the webmaster, club prez, etc and let them know your intentions. a good club will know which members have upcoming litters and put you in touch with them.

be prepared for an application process, etc

Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,099,511 times
I have no idea about the breeder stuff but I love that you have a dog named Earl. Seriously, that's like the cutest name!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
Look in your local PAPER for Breeders near you! Depends on your area & How far you want to drive. PUPPYMILLS ususaly are the ones you find online! Also contct your local dog clubs, trainers etc OH IF your happy with Earl contact his breeder! Maybe they are still breeding or they can recomend a breeder! Ask your vet!! Tell your friends! They can spread the word LOL

Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,064,950 times
and backyard breeders are the ones you find in the paper......

Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,458,342 times
Why are you buying? Do you plan on showing the dog? If you don't have a solid reason for buying, why not adopt? Petfinder is a great place to start. Many of those puppies that someone ran out and bought from a breeder get to be six months, a year, maybe two years old and they're not longer little and cute and their friends aren't impressed by their 'purebred' dog anymore, so they get dumped in shelters where they're killed if they're not rescued or adopted. I've had both purebred Poms and Pom mixes, including mixed with a Chi which is apparently another popular mutt breed. The bonus is if you get them from a rescue, they're fully vetted so you don't have to worry about all those vet bills after bringing him / her home and they're spayed or neutered which is a HUGE expense. Most are housebroken as well and past the cute but annoying and expensive puppy stage where they potty all over the house and eat everything they can, which can lead to even more expensive vet visits and surgery to remove what they've eaten. I prefer a dog at least a year old because by that time their true personality is showing and you don't get any surprises with what your dog is going to be as an adult. With a puppy, that's a big crap shoot.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,610,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Why are you buying? Do you plan on showing the dog? If you don't have a solid reason for buying, why not adopt? Petfinder is a great place to start. Many of those puppies that someone ran out and bought from a breeder get to be six months, a year, maybe two years old and they're not longer little and cute and their friends aren't impressed by their 'purebred' dog anymore, so they get dumped in shelters where they're killed if they're not rescued or adopted. I've had both purebred Poms and Pom mixes, including mixed with a Chi which is apparently another popular mutt breed. The bonus is if you get them from a rescue, they're fully vetted so you don't have to worry about all those vet bills after bringing him / her home and they're spayed or neutered which is a HUGE expense. Most are housebroken as well and past the cute but annoying and expensive puppy stage where they potty all over the house and eat everything they can, which can lead to even more expensive vet visits and surgery to remove what they've eaten. I prefer a dog at least a year old because by that time their true personality is showing and you don't get any surprises with what your dog is going to be as an adult. With a puppy, that's a big crap shoot.
I agree, either look at rescue groups or search shelters.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,188,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Look in your local PAPER for Breeders near you! Depends on your area & How far you want to drive. PUPPYMILLS ususaly are the ones you find online! Also contct your local dog clubs, trainers etc OH IF your happy with Earl contact his breeder! Maybe they are still breeding or they can recomend a breeder! Ask your vet!! Tell your friends! They can spread the word LOL
Looking in the paper is a horrible way to find a "breeder", you may as well look on kijiji or craigslist.

The two puppies I've bought from Code of Ethics breeders - one, I put a deposit down when the dam was pregnant but before puppies were on the ground so I knew there was a chance I wouldn't get what I wanted (luckily, I did). Second one, I had a deposit with someone whose dogs I really liked, but waited 2 1/2 years through four litters before a suitable pup came along.

Yes, unfortunately, some very high-end breeders - by that I mean people whose dogs are extensively health tested, all dogs in the pedigree have show and working titles and health clearances going back generations, etc, will have a waiting list, breed infrequently and are not going to be easy to buy from, especially if you don't plan on showing or working the dog but just want a "pet."

FIY, a serious breeder won't let you pick a puppy. Litters are typically independently evaluated and the show-potential pups are only sold to show/working homes. The ones that are not cosmetically and structurally deemed show quality are sold as "pet quality" puppies. A responsible breeder will get to know potential buyers and what they're looking for, and will do his or her best to match the puppy to the right home.

If you want a pet-quality Pom I ditto first look to petfinder and breed rescues. Second, find your nearest sanctioned COE breed club and start networking.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,425,175 times
I would start with going to dog shows, and talking to people who are showing dogs, in the breed that you want. Also looking talking to people who have the breed of dog you want, ask where they got their dog, and how it is working out for them.

I have seen good Poms, and poms gone bad by backyard breeders...so watch your step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs