Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 04:03 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times

Advertisements

Okay, my new next door neighbor (they are renters) have a new blue pittie puppy, eights weeks old, absolutely adorable...Sugar Daddy is his name. The seven year old daughter will talk to me, the adults keep their distance.

Today while supervising my boys in the yard, I see in their yard (through the dense trees) they have a long rope (probably 20') using about 10' of it. They get the puppy to clamp on and swing around. As soon as they realized my boys and I are out there, game is over and they go in...

Now, I have never done this with ANY of my dogs, even when they were pups. Lately, I've done more rescues therefore haven't had a puppy for many years.

Is this a training method for pits, later used in fighting? (Strengthen the jaws while it's young?) or am I being parinoid because I think this dog may be used for something horrible in the future?

Just concerned about the pup that may need a future rescue...

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 11-05-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
at 8 weeks .. thats way to young and yep keep a watchful eye out ..

you know what that rope does? It teaches a very young pup to hang on no matter how scared they are .. hang on for dear life .. GGGGRRR.. If the pup shows up at your house I hope your home and have a safe house to spirit him off to ..
Wanna-bes **** me off no end .. and yes folks I KNOW thats not nice but neither is raising a pittie for a horrible future.. .. better the dog gets "lost" and never found by trash like that

Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Some pit owners do this as training,I guess like excersize or for competition, not fight training for their dogs. I don't like it myself. Mainly because the people who do it often seem to have a different kind of attitude towards pits. And blue pits are often presented by breeders as being rare (not!) and from game tested lines, don't even get me started about that stuff. I've seen some pit bull forums with all the disclaimers about we don't support dog fighting, but game testing dogs is discussed as if it were different from dog fighting, and as if it were morally neutral... well, I shouldn't be ranting, because your neighbors may not be intending to do anything wrong, maybe someone just told them to give their dog a rope to pull. It is done unrelated to fighting. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on things though.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
id keep a half eye on the situation

but many bully breed owners play rope games, pitties are partiuclalry good at jumping and hanign on and seem to seriously enjoy it. i belive a rope attached to a solid structure like a tree lim dangling is called a spring pole, and its generall a way of excersizing and conditioning a dog...some dog fighters do use it as a way of teaching a dog to hold...
but many pitty owners have spring and flirt poles simply for play.

remember theres alot of stigma around pits and the adults may be concerned that your goingto try and start trouble, mabe theyve run into issues with peopel being not so nice around pitties in the past ect...
try next time giving a smile a wave and telling them how beautiful thier dog is...
make an effort to open the channels of communication, it would certinaly give you amuhc better idea about what these folks plan to do with their dog.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:12 PM

A week ago when I saw the pup for the first time and was talking with the little girl, her dad was across the yard and I was making a big to do about how cute the pup was... I said, "Oh, you have a blue pit, it's so cute." That is when she shared his name. He was moving tree limbs, did have the rope out, I smiled.

Rewind a day I was out back and could hear them talking, wasn't trying too...and heard them say, "there are to pits next door." I wanted to say, "OMG there are pits in the neighborhood?!?!" But could not pull that off without laughing.

My dogs are miss identified (you've seen their pics.) I don't really care. Unless someone is thinking of harming them...then look the h*ll out. Forget the dog, beware of owner!!! Their comment of pits next door was more of a warning than hey I want to get one too and the next day, they have a pit puppy?

It's all just so weird.

((He has told his daughter NOT to come around my dogs. I told her she needs to obey her dad. (This was right after they moved in.))

I don't want to be unfriendly as a neighbor or dog owner. I would think it give us commonality? Seems to have done the opposite?

Edit: Will still be nice and friendly. We are neighbors. (Besides, how else can I pump the kid for information? Lol) I'm kidding. I'm kidding. I will talk with her in hopes she shares information. I will be friendly with the parents.

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 11-05-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I wonder if the "there are pits next door" statement was meant that they are a breed allowed in your town, since our state has some big misconceptions about pits.

I hope they are just using the rope as a toy to expend some puppy energy. Hopefully the little girl will keep talking and you can keep an eye on the pup.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I wonder if the "there are pits next door" statement was meant that they are a breed allowed in your town, since our state has some big misconceptions about pits.

I hope they are just using the rope as a toy to expend some puppy energy. Hopefully the little girl will keep talking and you can keep an eye on the pup.
You know, that's a good point, too. Our addy is Denver but it is not the city and county of Denver; weird...I know. We are un-incorporiated in another county and pits are legal here.

They may have thought because the addy was Denver that they couldn't have the pit but with me next door and my dogs...if I can, they can?

What they don't know is that I don't have pits. (Well, armpits but they don't count! ) Which just goes to show how uneducated they really are about the breed. Which is a whole other thread...

Well anyway...thanks all! I will keep my eyes and ears open for anything the little gal might want to share. I will keep it friendly with her folks...

Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I just happened to notice this thread title again, and started thinking. Manipulative b**** that I can be sometimes, I'd probably ask the little girl how the puppy was doing, and say something like, they're lots of fun but they can be naughty sometimes, can't they? Then the kid would probably volunteer that the puppy peed on the floor, chewed her Barbie up, or whatever. You could tell her you've had lots of dogs, and tell her Mom and Dad if they need any suggestions you'd be glad to help. They might disregard it, but then again they might ask you for advice on something. Then you'd have a chance to help them out and also see what their attitude toward the dog is.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:27 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
some things that come to mind...
mabe they dont know thier pup is a pitty...i cant tell you how many craiglist adds with pitty like dogs being advertised as terrier or lab mixes (the shelter i worked at used to do that too, most pitbull looking dogs were labled as lab or terrier mixes because they were easier to adopt out)
and as you said, they obviously have no idea what an apbt looks like...

if there new to the neighborhood with a young pup mabe stopping by and telling them about your vet would be a good way to break the ice, tell them you have an awesome vet whos great with bully breeds...

for what you said it actually sounds like ther eafriad of something...mabe theyve lost a dog to BSL befodre? or had bad neighbors prior.

im always warey as ive been in a simialr situation...a neighbor who hated all dogs...that when i moved here and the neighbor asked if i had dogs my immediate responce was to explain how theyll be fenced in and not allowed ot wander ect...it was just gut instinct that after a bad experience prior (even with the dogs giving the neighbor no reason to have an issue) to fear the new neighbor woudl have issues.

good luck and definatly make nice with the kid...

Old 11-29-2011, 03:52 AM

Talking Update on puppy!

I got to hold the cutie-pa-tutie today! That is after AC stopped by to do a check on SD. A neighbor called b/c he was tangled up in a bike and could not get to his water. I think they got a warning, too (no shelter). Big no, no here. Must provide shelter 24/7 where we live if a dog is outside. (Although they normally keep him inside,) because they had him chained outside today, they got the lecture on "if you have a dog chained outside, you must have a shelter for the dog..."

He's growing like a weed! Cute as can be and the little girl is a little chatty Kathy! (She's cute! ...and will answer questions.) We start talking and she tells me all about AC being there and why, I didn't ask. She just offers it up. So, I listen.

We keep talking, I ask how potty training is going? They are using puppy pads and taking him out, too. I ask if he's chewing a lot? She says, oh, yes! I give her some suggestions. I suggested she could be training him right now, he's really smart, he comes to the fence for me. I gave her some websites to look up some information to help her train him. He appears to be hers. She said he sleeps with her.

We talked a little about how the news makes them sound like bad dogs but that was not true and how it was important to train them to prove the media wrong. She is smart and understands.

They just got back from visiting family and also his mom (the puppy) and his sister (a litter mate). We got to talk about how important it is to socialize her puppy with other dogs, too. Although, I'm not sure if mom and dad will go for that?

Anyway, just wanted to updated you on the pup. He's doing well...and I'm keeping in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs