Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times

Advertisements

What do you do when you come across an unleashed dog?

My neighbor was taking Toby (the bichon) for a walk today (I'm sick ) and on their walk an unleashed GSD came up to them. Toby ALWAYS barks at other dogs, mostly it seems bc he is excited and wants to meet them. So Toby was barking and it seems the GSD got pretty worked up as well. My neighbor didn't know what to do but started pulling Toby away until the owner came out (and started yelling at Toby!!). So still being a new dog owner, I realized I wouldn't know what to do in that situation! I am a little paranoid b/c one of the dogs in Toby's obedience class was really traumatized by some off leash dogs and I don't want that to happen to my boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
As their dog approaches my leashed dog, I somewhat dramatically tell the owner to "Recall your dog! Recall your dog!"

While the dog doesn't stop immediately most of the time, they are usually caught by the owner before the dogs are face to face. Then the leashless owner who is at this point either embarrassed or scared inevitably say "Well he's friendly." Ok, dumba$$, that's all well and good but did you ever stop to think that it's unfair for your loose dog to approach my leashed dog who is more than a little intimidated by strange dogs invading her space?

I like it when kids ASK if they can pet my dog and I also like it when owners ask if their dog can sniff my dog's privates.

The other dog's owner was completely in the wrong for yelling at Toby. Boo on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
What do you do when you come across an unleashed dog?

My neighbor was taking Toby (the bichon) for a walk today (I'm sick ) and on their walk an unleashed GSD came up to them. Toby ALWAYS barks at other dogs, mostly it seems bc he is excited and wants to meet them. So Toby was barking and it seems the GSD got pretty worked up as well. My neighbor didn't know what to do but started pulling Toby away until the owner came out (and started yelling at Toby!!). So still being a new dog owner, I realized I wouldn't know what to do in that situation! I am a little paranoid b/c one of the dogs in Toby's obedience class was really traumatized by some off leash dogs and I don't want that to happen to my boy!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Mar0, as you know, you dealing with 3 issues.
1, Historical cultural difference places dog in the same league as people on the mainland who let their damn cats wonder all over the neighborhood. In some areas its seen almost as the right of the animal to be free from roaming restrictions.
2. Funding for animal control on Kaui is just below approval for using taxpayer money for the SuperFerry. I think you know what I mean.
3. Socio-economics could be a factor in getting a person to obey the laws especially when the alternative is to just dump the animal near Barking Sands to fend for itself, knowing in short order they will get another and it starts all over.

Kaui as all of Hawaii has a "owner control" law although getting that enforced in near impossible. You saving point is Hawaii does have a owner financial responsibility provision so if anything happens to your dog from a unleased dog on public property, the owner is personally responsibe to pay the cost. That could be vet bills or it could be a pet shrink. Proving it will be difficult and who knows if they would pay.

Here's a tip that may work, do a search for Hawaii Revised Statutes and Kaui County code and print out the section on controling a animal Tape it to their mailbox or fence. Cross your fingers they get the message.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
In my town a unleashed dog on city property gets a dog at large fine. Must be leashed and under owners control at all times.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 AM

29 posts, read 138,914 times
I walk everyday so it's not unusual to cross paths with an unleashed dog. Normally what happens is I will slow the pace to give me and the dogs a chance to size up the situation and if the other dog is not too aggressive, I will let them sniff and say a quick hello and then we're on our way. My dogs are social and rarely is there any drama - unless it happens to be a pack of dogs running loose looking to pick a fight. That can get ugly quick.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 AM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
Dog etiquette, If a strange dog is walking toward your dog pick your dog up if you can, if not a good kick in the neck will do the trick.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
yep my sister is always walking her fila brisario , these dogs are highly instinctive and will protect their owner at the cost of their life which is what they are trained to do . My sister lives alone and she is a former dog trainer as well . She lets "sammy " size up the sittuation himself . He usually just sniffs and moves on . he is very well trained and she has made him so . He does know how to be friendly and he is with everyone and everything and not your typical fila . Just pick up your dog if your able and then report the loose dog to the animal control especially if the owner is acting like a jacka** !!!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
Thanks for the advice. This dog usually isn't out unleashed and I have only ever seen him once before, so its not a super common thing by any means.

And Pacific flights-I'm def aware of the cultural differences here on Kauai...all my friends own hunting dogs that never get out but I live in a pretty haole neighborhood.....i'm hoping this is a one off but i appreciate your help!!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:52 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I hate when this happens. My dog got attacked by a dog that was off its leash while we were taking a walk. I threw my body over him till the owner came and got his dog and thank goodness my dog was ok but he was always fearful of large dogs.
I agree about reporting the dog and talking to the owner if you can.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
The only unleashed dogs I ever come across in my neighborhood are ones who have gotten loose, and the owners are either actively attempting to retrieve, or where nobody even knows they're gone yet. It's never a case of an owner nearby who is just letting the dog frolic offleash/unconfined. Willie doesn't really react to loose dogs, except to do the buttsniff. He freaks out more about LEASHED dogs we encounter on walks, if he's not allowed to go sniff and say hi. If he can't do the meet and greet, he'll get really barky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs