Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM

34 posts, read 63,925 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used Easy Travel Solution on their dog to control motion sickness? I just adopted a sweet little dog, 1-1/2 year old Doberman/Shepherd mix and she gets sick and vomits every time she has been in the car. She just got spayed and being in a new environment may very well may be nerves, although she seemed to enjoy the last car trip. I even put her in the front seat and seat belted her in and she seemed happy but still threw up before getting home. Any other suggestions? Very frustrating as I have all kinds of plans to take her on outings to dog park, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTJLC View Post
Has anyone used Easy Travel Solution on their dog to control motion sickness? I just adopted a sweet little dog, 1-1/2 year old Doberman/Shepherd mix and she gets sick and vomits every time she has been in the car. She just got spayed and being in a new environment may very well may be nerves, although she seemed to enjoy the last car trip. I even put her in the front seat and seat belted her in and she seemed happy but still threw up before getting home. Any other suggestions? Very frustrating as I have all kinds of plans to take her on outings to dog park, etc.
Dramamine works well on dogs, 2-4mg per pound of body weight, but I would talk with the vet about the dosing.

***I am not a vet***

Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM

15 posts, read 21,279 times
The stray we took in 2 years ago had that same problem but she outgrew it pretty quickly. I figured she probably hadn't had too many car rides in the past and was pretty nervous about the whole thing.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
Also sometimes they associate a bad experience with the car ride, vet visit, shots, or surgery and it's imprinted. It happened with Tara.

When I first got her (under 3 months) she did fine with car rides, even long distance. Then I took her to the vet to get her shots. Before we got home, she vomited. Then every time we would get into the car, poor girl would turn green, and if she had eaten recently, without fail, it would come back up...even when I'd take her 4-wheeling. It was truly sad.

It wasn't until I put her into a big truck (semi-truck) that I broke that association...but that was how I broke it. After that, I could take her anywhere in any vehicle and she LOVED it! ((I know, now you are thinking how the heck can you talk that nice truck driver into taking you and your dog for a ride... lol))

(Semi's have air ride and they don't have they same feel to them as cars and trucks or "4-wheelers" so it didn't make her sick and she never went to the vet while we where on the road. It worked like a charm. Good thing, I didn't want to clean up after her everyday, all day... )

Motion sickness isn't any fun for dogs or humans. Dogs travel best on an empty stomach, so it's best to withhold food and water before taking a trip. Try to keep the car cool, choose travel routes on smooth roads and minimize stops and turns (if possible.) Most dogs with motion sickness become accustomed to riding in the car and eventually outgrow the problem (hopefully.) ((Which is probably what happen with Tara...))

Old 12-21-2011, 06:19 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
Here's a link to a previous thread from a situation we faced with our foster dog getting sick on car rides. Hope this helps!

New Foster~Gets Sick in Car~Need Suggestions

Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
have heard great things about comfort zone,
petsmart

Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Thank you for adopting the dog and good luck with the rehab. I'd talk to a vet and get some good "clean" presc meds. It will probably just take time. I suspect the poor thing is so anxious with the new environment and all. Don't force the issue. Sometimes, it takes years to rehab a rescue dog that has been ill treated. ( I've had 18 dogs so far! )

Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
One of the best (even tested by NASA) remedies for dogs or people is ginger. You can give ginger capsules (found at health food stores) or ginger cookies if the dog will eat them). Just make sure they are made with real ginger and not artificial flavor.

In addition using a crate or seatbelt harness might help. I had two dogs that got car sick, one did best in a crate the other in the harness and seatbelt.

Plus start desensitizing the dog by first just having him sit in the car without moving. Then with the engine running followed by going up and down the drive way beginning with one time. Next, once ok with the drive. go around the block, etc. building up distance gradually. Each step should be at the dog's pace.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
One of the best (even tested by NASA) remedies for dogs or people is ginger. You can give ginger capsules (found at health food stores) or ginger cookies if the dog will eat them). Just make sure they are made with real ginger and not artificial flavor.

In addition using a crate or seatbelt harness might help. I had two dogs that got car sick, one did best in a crate the other in the harness and seatbelt.

Plus start desensitizing the dog by first just having him sit in the car without moving. Then with the engine running followed by going up and down the drive way beginning with one time. Next, once ok with the drive. go around the block, etc. building up distance gradually. Each step should be at the dog's pace.
I have read/heard the same thing about ginger but
do know people that swear by comfort zone.

the only thing I have found that works instantly for our dogs
is to let them put their nose out the window.

I suffer from motion sickness myself and looking at the horizon
is what helps me.

you have many new ways to tackle it, good luck.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
My rescue GSP, Spot, had motion sickness when I first got him. He was also scared of almost everything. I got him over all of it by taking him everywhere I went and in no time at all he did a 180. Nothing bothered him and he became confident and well adjusted. At the same time, I worked on obedience and structure is my friend.

The motion sickness went away too. I got him over being afraid to go in the car and all the strange people/vehicles by parking at KFC and feeding him chicken nuggets. In time, I was able to take him to a parking lot and walk around and even do tricks for people.

Huge change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs