Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Ummm.....I had a cat snoozing on my lap when the video of Artie came on........he is now hiding in the bedroom.
I'm sorry. Artie doesn't really like cats, but I apologize on his behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
His voice is deeper than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Exactly what I thought.
Funny, actually, because for whatever reason, his voice is more high-pitched in the video. It's usually SOOOOO DEEEEEEP.

When new people come over and Artie's barking at their arrival, when they walk in, they ask where the big dog is because they can't believe that that deep voice came out of 35-pound Artie.

I call him the Barry White of the canine world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,152,335 times
I , for one, am extremely happy the holidays are over. The UPS man has been on our street it seems like 2 or 3 times a day and my guys go into a frenzy. With hardwood floors in the house, they slip and slide and skitter on the way to the door and they are exhausted .Usually our street has very little traffic.

so how do you train a dog not to bark when somebody comes near their property.? maybe I should start a new thread.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,140,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
so how do you train a dog not to bark when somebody comes near their property.? maybe I should start a new thread.
You don't want to teach them to not bark at all. They are important alarm systems. It's their job to alert us to possible threats. The way I stop mine from continuous barking is I get up, look at what they are alerting me to, and say, "It's okay." Then they feel their job is done, we are safe, and they can relax. If it's a cat, I tell them "It's all gone" as soon as it leaves sight. Think about it this way, they are afraid and they are saying "look! look! danger! danger!" Anytime I reassure them it's okay, they calm down. They need me to go see what they are worried about. I can't just bark orders or reassure them from afar without investigating the threat. LOL

Old 01-01-2012, 08:13 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,050,961 times
HAHAHAHAHHAAAA....

such a BIG bark out of little Mr. Artie Fartie!!

I could only play about 30 seconds of the video.... ALL FOUR of mine were tearing all over the house to the various windows looking for the dog.... and then out to the yard..... Poquito was the first to figure out that the dog was in the computer.....

Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
HAHAHAHAHHAAAA....

such a BIG bark out of little Mr. Artie Fartie!!

I could only play about 30 seconds of the video.... ALL FOUR of mine were tearing all over the house to the various windows looking for the dog.... and then out to the yard..... Poquito was the first to figure out that the dog was in the computer.....
HAHAHA!!! When they're all outside, lounging in the sun, watch the whole thing so you can hear the whining moan. That's my favorite part of the day's escapade.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:38 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,133,254 times
He he, I just played the video and Edison comes into my office and lets out a small woof.
I think he is saying hi.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:49 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,343,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't want to teach them to not bark at all. They are important alarm systems. It's their job to alert us to possible threats. The way I stop mine from continuous barking is I get up, look at what they are alerting me to, and say, "It's okay." Then they feel their job is done, we are safe, and they can relax. If it's a cat, I tell them "It's all gone" as soon as it leaves sight. Think about it this way, they are afraid and they are saying "look! look! danger! danger!" Anytime I reassure them it's okay, they calm down. They need me to go see what they are worried about. I can't just bark orders or reassure them from afar without investigating the threat. LOL
That's exactly what I do with my dogs. 99% of the time, they are alerting to something, want acknowledgement for it, and once I acknowledge whatever it is, they shut up.

If I don't acknowledge their concern, they are much more likely to continue barking.

It's rare that they bark for the fun of it and the fox family living on our property is usually the cause that - foxes sound like hounds of hell. It's enough to make every hair on your body stand on end.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,251,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
So, every day, six days a week, this is what happens. Artie hears the mail truck when it's two or three houses away. And then chaos ensues, EVERY SINGLE DAY (except Sunday and holidays... thank God for holidays):

The mail is here!!!!! - YouTube

(Sorry that it's sideways.)

The furry kid goes nuts for mail. NUTS.

He does an excellent job warning off that creep in the truck. It's his job and he does it well. No slacker there.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
He does an excellent job warning off that creep in the truck. It's his job and he does it well. No slacker there.

Thanks, AB.

Artie takes a bow...

Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,443,436 times
Yes, both my dogs just came over, Ruthie the barker who sounds a lot like Artie was chiming in. I showed them the screen until they figured it out, and then she gave one of those embarassed yawns, like "I totally knew that wasn't a real dog, I was just kidding." Then she gave one last "arf!" "He should be quiet!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs