Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,334,641 times

Advertisements

Greyhound dog racing is cruel and unfair! Skechers is planning to feature greyhound racing in their Superbowl ad. Greyhound racing is cruel, abusive and illegal in most states.
Please consider signing this petition and sharing it with others. This company should not make money off the backs of mistreated animals or encourage an industry that does!

I'm trying to find the correct link where we can vote on this--if anyone else has it please post it!

Stop the Super Bowl Ad Promoting Dog Racing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
GH Racing is Not cruel No more than Horse Racing!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
GH Racing is Not cruel No more than Horse Racing!
Your opinion! Thank you but I am allowed my opinion and my opinion is that is cruel! We work with the Greyhound rescues--do you have any connection with dog racing other then watching or betting?
You have to wonder why it has been made illegal in many states if it's not cruel!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM

48,186 posts, read 22,030,335 times
I used to live in a town in NH that had a dog track....my son worked briefly at t he track walking the dogs.....he quit......he hated the job because he said the dogs were treated like a commodity, not like living creatures with feelings and fears and needs. I was told that after their maiden race the owners would cull the dogs who didnt show promise.....and the dead bodies of the young dogs who didnt race well were dumped in the town's land fill. The town's selectmen had to notify the track that they couldnt bring a truck load of dead dogs to the town dump.

Granted that was some years ago....before the adoptions began.....but, in my opinion, I agree with the OP.....it is cruel or at least puts the animals at risk of cruelty.

Last edited by elston; 01-11-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Life at a Greyhound Track – Behind the Scenes » Rachel Hogue Photography

There was a time that Shendoah Downs in Ranson WV was thinking of going Dog Racing [not long after the Whole track was purchsed by Penn Horse Racing Track.... Now all we have is Gambling!] Anyway a bunch of the Grooms & Horse Trainers went to Wheeling WV Dog Track! Was a Great trip & I Never saw any Cruelty! But Yes like Retired Race Horse when they couldnt race they were given away or put to sleep.... No Different than Breeders Culling animals that are not up to par. Weather it be Racing or Showing. Now people make them Pets which is great. BUT there is No Abuse! Handlers are Not even allowed to raise their voice around the dogs! I even seen Several males Pee on the handlers No Correction! They figure Any correction would break the spirt & the dog wouldnt race! One of the MAIN reasons that people Would Not adopt was the Gereral Public didnt know they Could Be house Trained & They Didnt need Room to Run!! They are Layed back Couch Potatoes that are Easy to house Train!
Also the same fate was big problem with retired race horses! Only the big fear there was they were flakey & would run away with you ALSO NOT True! As general they are calm quiet & only once have I seen a run away horse it was Not a Race horse!
IF your looking for a great dog or horse Consider Adopting these Loveable Racers!

Last edited by Katie1; 01-11-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM

Katie1--I understand what you are saying and I see you do have dogs and are not talking without some knowledge but even this site you have shared is showing us what they want us to see. I have been close and personal in the Greyhound rescues and it is a cruel sport. Maybe not for the lucky ones that are good and win or have good owners but there are many dogs who are not so fortunate. My son has 2 Greyhound rescued dogs right now, my vet has several and works very close with other rescues. I love seeing these dogs run as much as the next guy--and they do enjoy running--it's the people behind the sport that ruin it. It's the $$ that ruins it! These dogs are beautiful creatures---they enjoy life and so often the ones racing get very little real life except making the money for their owners. I'm not saying the owners are not good..it's a buniness and these beautiful creatures are a part of that business--well, as elston said it does put those dogs at risk of being treated badly. There is a very good reason so many states have outlawed Greyhound racing.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,698,674 times
Oh come on!!!! Its a SUPERBOWL Commerical for crying out loud.

As an FYI to everyone else, the commerical will feature a big chunky Bulldog racing some sleek athletic greyhounds and the Bulldog pulls ahead and wins because its wearing Ta-Da (drum-roll) Sketcher sneakers

Thats right folks the social commentary of this commerical is that even you fat folks can outrun some daily gym super star if you only wear good old Sketcher sneakers! As for cruel and illegal, where's the outrage over the commerical that forced 3 hamsters to row a boat to power a persons computer while forcing the cubby one to learn to say "row-row-row" It's a frigging commerical already!!!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,698,674 times
Cyn, may I offer this solution, a campaign to contact Skechers USA and tell them (after you see the commerical) how beautiful the greyhounds looked but that the reality of greyhound racing isn;t so pretty. Ask if they as a company will work to advance the elimination of greyhound racing as part of their corporate social responsibility back to the people. If you get enough people sending in this type of comment, you may be surprised what can come out of it. I'll make sure I write such a request and hopefully you can get others to do it as well.

FREE THE HAMSTER 3

Old 01-11-2012, 04:28 PM

What about all those KIA commerical OR the Poor Pug the guy teasing! .... The Pug one turns my stomach! & Yes I know they are Computer Generated!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Cyn, may I offer this solution, a campaign to contact Skechers USA and tell them (after you see the commerical) how beautiful the greyhounds looked but that the reality of greyhound racing isn;t so pretty. Ask if they as a company will work to advance the elimination of greyhound racing as part of their corporate social responsibility back to the people. If you get enough people sending in this type of comment, you may be surprised what can come out of it. I'll make sure I write such a request and hopefully you can get others to do it as well.

FREE THE HAMSTER 3
You are an amazing person with some very good ideas! Thank you very much! I will share this with the other Greyhound rescues! Super thinking! I have to tell you--I laughed so hard when you mentioned this commercial about the hamsters! You are obviously a good human being and well educated so again thank you for contrubuting to this thread!!! I know there is not one person who has paid the kind of money it requires for a commercial during the Super Bowl that will change it--it is a done deal! I just was hoping to remind people that we have a responsibility to protect the critters (Greyhounds) in this world we live in!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 01-11-2012 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs