Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times

Advertisements

I have a seven-month-old lab/catahoula mix. On Sunday, we brought home a six-year-old german shepherd/daschund mix who really needed a new home, partly because our puppy is so much happier in the company of other dogs.

We took our puppy to meet the older dog, and they played together for two hours before we brought them home. They did great...a few minutes of growling at each other and then they were playing like old friends.

Once we brought them home, my puppy started mouthing the older dog and licking all over her. She also wants to sit right on top of her. They're spending a lot of time growling and banging their heads together (they're about the same weight right now, but the puppy is probably five inches taller). I thought they just needed to work it out, but we're on day three of them growling and wrestling in my living room. I have started wrapping a hand around my puppy's mouth and holding it closed for a couple of seconds and saying "No fight," which brings about an hour of peace and quiet while she pouts and sulks, but then she goes right back to picking fights. She'll pretend to yawn while walking over to the other dog, turn her head while yawning, and then close her mouth over the older dog's head and look surprised that there's a head in her mouth.

They're not hurting each other and it doesn't seem to be escalating at all. Should I let them just work it out or should I keep breaking up the fights? I'm not leaving them alone together, if I go somewhere they each go in their own crates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a seven-month-old lab/catahoula mix. On Sunday, we brought home a six-year-old german shepherd/daschund mix who really needed a new home, partly because our puppy is so much happier in the company of other dogs.

We took our puppy to meet the older dog, and they played together for two hours before we brought them home. They did great...a few minutes of growling at each other and then they were playing like old friends.

Once we brought them home, my puppy started mouthing the older dog and licking all over her. She also wants to sit right on top of her. They're spending a lot of time growling and banging their heads together (they're about the same weight right now, but the puppy is probably five inches taller). I thought they just needed to work it out, but we're on day three of them growling and wrestling in my living room. I have started wrapping a hand around my puppy's mouth and holding it closed for a couple of seconds and saying "No fight," which brings about an hour of peace and quiet while she pouts and sulks, but then she goes right back to picking fights. She'll pretend to yawn while walking over to the other dog, turn her head while yawning, and then close her mouth over the older dog's head and look surprised that there's a head in her mouth.

They're not hurting each other and it doesn't seem to be escalating at all. Should I let them just work it out or should I keep breaking up the fights? I'm not leaving them alone together, if I go somewhere they each go in their own crates.
Not sure but that doesn't sound like "fighting". I'd say that they are playing. We have a rule in our house that the dogs can do that sort of play all they want in the yard but not in the house. I have no doubt that the older dog will let the puppy know if the play has gotten out of hand. I'd supervise but still let them play.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:28 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

We have four labs (well 3 of them are lab mutts) from various shelters and we've gotten them at different times. Our most recent one, Chance, was about a year old when we got him and he does exactly what you describe to our other dog, Fish - the biggest dog in the house. They 'fight' for extended periods until I can't take it and then they go outside. I agree with VA-Cat, I don't think it is fighting. I think it part play/part establishing a hierarchy. I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't escalate but it doesn't sound too threatening.

I think it is a good idea that they are separated. We keep Chance gated in our laundry room away from the other dogs who have free run of the house. Partially because he is still a pup and partially because we don't want anything to escate.

Chance also sits on top of the other dogs as well. Luckily, he is the lightest of the four!

Edit: I also think that posting pics is a requirement in this case!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
We have four labs (well 3 of them are lab mutts) from various shelters and we've gotten them at different times. Our most recent one, Chance, was about a year old when we got him and he does exactly what you describe to our other dog, Fish - the biggest dog in the house. They 'fight' for extended periods until I can't take it and then they go outside. I agree with VA-Cat, I don't think it is fighting. I think it part play/part establishing a hierarchy. I would keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't escalate but it doesn't sound too threatening.

I think it is a good idea that they are separated. We keep Chance gated in our laundry room away from the other dogs who have free run of the house. Partially because he is still a pup and partially because we don't want anything to escate.

Chance also sits on top of the other dogs as well. Luckily, he is the lightest of the four!

Edit: I also think that posting pics is a requirement in this case!
Absolutely! How could I have forgotten to add this!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
Sounds like play-fighting to me too. And like Va-cat says, the adult dog will let the puppy know if she's gone too far. I'm assuming the older dog isn't long and low like a full doxie? If he was I'd worry about his back with a bigger dog jumping on him, but other than that it's perfectly normal. And yes we need pictures.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM

She's long and low but about 50 lbs. Ginger is 41 lbs, last week when we weighed her anyhow. Kelly (the older dog) has very little legs for such a solid dog. I think she needs to lose some weight, she feels like an ottoman. You can't feel any bone anywhere. I'm walking her three times a day and she's chasing Ginger about 50 times a day, so she's probably getting more exercise than she had at her old home. I'm walking her on the unpaved areas where they're still building my neighborhood, because I don't want to put a lot of strain on her little legs.

I'll post pictures after I charge my camera battery.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,173 times
That puppy looks mischievous! Like most labs!!!

Great pics!

Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Pretty babies!!!!

Bear and Angle played like that too when they were little.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
what pretty puppies!!

and i agree with the others.... sounds like they are playing and trying to figure out hierarchy.... roxie and poquito and dave and bailey play like this.... and roxie is VERY vocal.... we call her chain-saw dog.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs